FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Advice as we look for a 124

IDear all

Hoping you can embellish me with some advice, as we seek to heal a rather sad situation

My wife's sister died recently and as she lost her husband some 5 years previously my wife and I now care for the 3 children she had, they are super kids 10,12 and 15 but obviously they are in need of lots of TLC, as do ours 2 of 9 and 12

Dan the eldest is a car nut and as I have the room and a some what mad about the old things myself, I thought to help him heal he and I would start a restoration project. So I have given him a budget to work with and a challenge to attend various weekend workshops to learn the tricks of the trade. (We luckily live on a farm and have a whole thatched barn to work in with pit and lots of room)

Now of course he wants a red convertible and who can blame him.

He has seen a few Fiat 124s here which would be ideal, but as I have no experience of these, I am wondering what are the problem areas we have to watch out for?
He and I over the next few years will do a complete restoration with mainly me guiding and he learning, all gearing up till he can take his test and hopefully cruise around in a nice red convertible

But some guidance on things that we really need to avoid would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the sad tale and very grateful for any advice

Re: Advice as we look for a 124

http://www.dtrsports.com/

Hi Andy, these are great cars, and as with all convertables , Rust is the worst enemy.the above link will put you in touch with britains most experienced Fiat 124 restores.
Good luck with the young feller, and hopefully the others may show some interest. Cheers Gerry

thanks Gerry

Recommend that you get hold of Practical Classic January (Issue 1) 2000, Number 243, for a 6 page 'buyers guide' featuring advice from Paul De Turris of DTR European Sports Cars.

The magazine comes up quite frequently on eBay.

There are also two books on 124 Spiders by John Tipler and Martin Buckley. David Thomas Books is a good source for those.

Membership Number: Yes

thanks will get those

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos