FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum
General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Punto Twinair

I have been sold a new Punto Twinair by a dealer on the promise of 67 mpg. Admittedly I've only done about 350 miles in it so far, but the consumption has only just crept past 40mpg. And I've been REALLY REALLY trying. My journeys are winding country roads with few hold-ups. Having owned Alfas over the years this is a departure for me, and my first FIAT. In other ways she is really cute, but has anyone else got any experience of this engine/body combo? At the moment I'm thinking, what's the punto!

Re: Punto Twinair

Hi CeeBee

You may have noticed that you are not inundated with replies, These economy specials in any make of car are a type of engine that have to be driven in a very specific way, You may find you will have to change your thinking on economic driving, some people can get close some cant.

i have in the past got 63mpg from a 1.9 turbo diesel multipla on a 4.9 mile trip with out going on motorways and not even driving at 56mph.

What was your alfa getting to the gallon on each tank, what sort of alfa was it that you last had.

Sorry to sound harsh but do you really believe everything a car dealer tells you and are you the same with estate agents.

how much is your road tax as compared to the alfa and what about insurance too.

where abouts in the country are you

regards

Tim

Membership Number: 5222

I have had a number of diesel cars and they tend to only start to get near the claimed figures once I have put about 15k miles on them although my 1.3 diesel Qubo is a lot harder to achieve near it's claimed figures even with 21k now on it.
Whether the petrol twinair cars are the same? As Tim has said the new style engines have to be treated a bit different to get anywhere near these figures.
I find it easier to get 60mpg out of my wifes 2.0 diesel Mondeo than the Qubo!

Membership Number: 12302

Hi Colin

I like the info on the economy difference on the mondeo/qubo as it clearly shows what a differnce aerodynamics can make depending on what type of driving you do, compared to its usefulness/bootshape.

Tim

Considering the economy claims of the Qubo you would have thought it would be far better than the the Mondeo (2005)! I have always been good at achieving the claimed figures (I do a lot of driving with work and got a lot of practice), but the Qubo is so difficult to do. The Panda I had previously was the 1.2 petrol and I could about equall what I get from the Qubo quite easily.
I know these do not sound like long distance work cars but I used to have company cars until I set up on my own and started using the wifes car for work now mixed with the Qubo.
I find the cars which tell you what you are achieving at that moment as well as the average are the best for learning how to drive economically. The Mondeo only has the average unfortunately otherwise I recon I could improve on it.
I know the computers on the cars are not exact so I have in the past checked them against calculations from brimming a tank to test for accuracy.

Membership Number: 12302

The subject of Twin Air (or twin -guzzle as Jim has nick-named it) has ,unfortunately, been highly contraversial. Of course, the dealers/Fiat Ads have been highly encouraging being both tax free and so enviromentally friendly but it doesn't always relate to even better fuel efficiency when your pocket is concerned. Admiittedly, this can vary(sometimes wildly) depending on driving circumstances, and you have to bear in mind the figures are calculated in pretty much "laboratory conditions".

I'm sure with diligent effort excellent figures could be reached when "potting about town" but asking 2 cylinders to do the same under turbo influence when at regular motorway speeds of 70 -80mph maybe stretching the canvas a little too far. Whereas, there are plenty of diesels, and even 4 cylinder small engined cars that maybe the better of the Twin-air.

If you look at www.youtube.com under Fiat 500 twin -air or the new Panda, it may give some idea of other peoples experiences with ownership and in particular their fuel economy with this engine.

Hope this helps

Membership Number: 10962

My company car , an 08 Citreon C3 1.4 hdi regulary does 60 mpg as an average throughout a whole fuel tank , which is working it out the old fashioned way converting litres back to proper english gallons etc; It's still more economical than some newer cars on the fleet which have lower emissions and are zero tax rated, yet it's approaching 178,000 miles.

To put another side to the story , an mid 70's Austin Allegro on a 1.3 A Series and single SU carb recently achieved 55 mpg on British Fuel Economy Run. So much for technology!!

Here she is:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C322640

Membership Number: 10962

Hi All

Its good that we can have this discussion but CEEBEE doesnt seem to be involved, Lets hope they pop in and see us soon.

Tim

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos