FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fiat 128 3p suspension

Hi,

Can anyone help with information regarding lowering suspension on a Fiat 128 3p. I would like to lower the car by upto 50mm. I think I may have bought the wrong springs from Spax via Demon Tweeks. Although the Google search starts off with Fiat 128 Coupe it links you through to the Demon Tweeks website and the Spax kit SO10040, it seems these are for 128 'all models' and not specifically for the already lowered coupe/3p. Spax have since said they don't make anything for the 128 3p. My existing springs appear to be slightly thicker with 7 coils as opposed to the thinner progressively wound Spax ones which have 11 coils. My question is can they still be used to lower my 3p? I dont want to test fit them as compressing them will mark them and make it harder to re-sell if needs be. (Spax SPX SO10040 lowers 60mm Fiat 128 'all models')

Also I'm desperate for any info and links to new seats, material/covers in beige vinyl/tartan cloth that were fitted to the Tropical Orange 128 3p as both seat bases are threadbare.

Many thanks for any help given.

John

Membership Number: guest

Re: Fiat 128 3p suspension

I have exactly the same problem but cannot get any definitive advice. I had a similar post on this site last year. The 3p should be slightly lower but in my opinion the whole 128 range sits far too high and could be lowered a couple of inches.

A few suggestions made to me were to try X1/9 struts,(I can't remember front or back) 127 springs , or cut off the spring seat from the struts and weld back on a couple of inches further down.

All very well to buy springs but it's a guessing game.

At the rear I'm told to use spacers on the wishbones, reprofile the transverse spring or use the spring from a Strada 130

Trim....difficult, I know of someone who'se into these cars but don't want to put his details on a public forum. I tried to email you a couple of times but the link wouldn't work.

Have you tried talking to Middle Barton Garage ?? (if you want the definitive)

the 128 front and rear suspension is the same/similar as the 127....you can have the rear spring de-cambered ("flattened"] or use longer bolts and spacers on the wishbones...Koni adjustable shocks are still listed for 127/128
Front springs can be cut and re-tempered by spring reconditioner such as Brost,

I`m sure you`l find that the 128 3p has the same floor-pan as the sedan....as I say speak to Middle Barton

Membership Number: ex/butmayreturn

Coil springs are available in varying sizes from many "tuning" firms. You`l find that almost all spring rates and dimentions can be supplied. So if you want 2" lower from standard measure up the old unit, specify a spring compression rate and contact Burton or Merlin to purchase off the shelf. SImilarly, adjustable/non-adjustable shock absorbers are available. measure the closed and extended lengths between the fixing eyes of the standard shocks and if lowering the standard hieght by 2" then allow this measurement when specifying shocks.

the rear transverse spring will require modification as previous reply

Hope this helps

Membership Number: ex/butmayreturn

I suppose I haven't made any real effort to sort the springs out yet as my car has to be painted first and progress has been slow. I don't even know of a 127 in Northern Ireland to compare with my 3p.

I'll probably do nothing for a while yet as a Droopsnoot Firenza project may have to take priority, thanks for the advice.

Anyone know, really, what's so bad about just cutting one coil off a constant-pitch spring such as 124 (no flattened/shaped ends), just to see if it's good, actually doing it to Lada springs, which are avail cheaply new?

John, I did have a set of tartan / tan seat covers as you know, but ran out of strength offering them to people, so sold them to someone else with a burnt orange 3p undertaking resto. I only have a couple of blue / tartan sets left now, blue door cards etc... to match too.

See http://www.fiatmotorclubgb.org/forum.htm#bn-forum-1-1-3446348668/24/902389/show

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos