FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum
General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Panda Twin Air

Hi

Just purchased my tenth FIAT and looking forward to picking up my Panda Twin Air (but will miss the 130bhp of my Grande Sporting Multijet )

I have driven a similar model/spec for a week last year - i did not really drive it for economy, as it was addictive to use all the revs !

What i would like to know, from others who have the Twin Air engine, is what is a realistic expectation on MPG. Im expecting to get mid 40's on my mainly Motorway commute. I certainly know i won't get the 65+ mpg that is advertised ! I even was asked by my dealer to sign a disclaimer.

Let me know

Thanks
Simon

Membership Number: 11325

Re: Panda Twin Air

Simon Field

I even was asked by my dealer to sign a disclaimer.

You are joking?

Membership Number: 11553

I don't like to knock Fiat but brand loyalty was stretched

My new 2011 500 twin air dualogic was great fun to drive but the mpg

Over 10000 miles.... 37 to 40

Averaged around 38

Display showed 2 mpg more than actual petrol poured in tank.

P/x'ed it against a new Abarth 500 with 35mpg

Now that is even better fun

Membership Number: 11553

Thing on the radio yesterday about big scandal brewing in Germany about this issue. Manufs not only apply the unrealistic EC-dictated regime of stop/start, slow/fast to arrive at their idealised mpg figures, but also do things like removing wing mirrors, smoothly sealing all body joints and apertures - and removing brake pads!

Hi

No - not joking ! I think the dealer is trying to be straight with people - they probably have people reading the 70mpg, buying the car based in that, and then complaining.

I know I won't get 70 - I had one for a week last year - I am expecting mid 40mpg. So I had no problem signing.

When I bought my Grande Punto Sporting, the salesman (same one) said there was no chance of getting 50mpg - he said if you drive it "quickly" you will get 40mpg. I get this, and I drive most of my miles on the motorway.

But I think Diesel cars (in the UK) are a waste of time - any benefit you get from MPG, you lose with the 10ppl price difference - but that's a different story !

Regards
Simon

Membership Number: 11324

A salesman told me he got 43 mpg from a 500 twinair, but he also said he drove it hard.
It must be nice to have a company car.

Membership Number: 12399

Got my Panda twin air yesterday, and it is great !

The dealer was excellent (again) and everything went perfectly - they were very busy doing "handovers", many delayed due to the bad weather.

Car looks immaculate, as you would hope - gave it a good look over and FIAT are certainly getting better at QC - no marks, squeaks, rattles or bits falling off that I have found.

Fuel economy is going to be one area that I hope gets better when the car is run in - first 40mile commute today averaged 36 - but that is mainly motorway.

The only thing I wish FIAT would do, is fit a decent Leather Steering wheel as standard - I know you can have that as an option, but as I purchased my car from stock, it had everything except the leather steering wheel - seems very "thin" compared to my GP Sporting and my wifes 500 -but I will get used to it!

And why is Mediterranean Blue called that - I have never seen that sea that shade of Blue - ink black/blue is what it is and it look fantastic - much better than the pictures I saw (they did not have one in the dealer when I ordered the car).

So 10/10 at the moment.

Regards
Simon

Hi

Panda Twin Air now has 1700 miles on it and is going very well. No problems whatsoever.

Fuel consumption is averaging about 38mpg, which I still think will get a bit better with a few more miles.

The consumption is supposed to be average 68 - which is a joke figure (which I knew before I bought the car). I can easily get mid to high 40's but only when I avoid the motorway - my daily commute is 18 miles each way, and about 15 of that is on a motorway ! At about 80mph. So slightly disappointing but not unexpected. I did get it up to 65mpg but only after I had filled it up, reset the trip, and drove it at 50mph, in fifth, with minimal throttle - not really real world conditions !

What is a slight surprise is that I have had to top the oil up twice - in the 1700 miles its about 1/4 of a litre - which is nothing compared to what you "may" have to top it up according to manual.

Never had a new car use oil though, but put it down to the nature of the engine - thrives on revs and its VERY easy to hit the limiter.

The oil dipstick is clever but a PAIN IN THE A*SE to get a reading on ! Has anyone else got thoughts/feedback on oil consumption on the twinair.

Panda twinair is a brilliant little car and I am enjoying driving it !

Interesting about the oil consumption, reminded me of a story I read in "Car Mechanics" a few months ago.

It tells of an engineering company in GB which had tendered to produce a substantial number of special tools for the overhaul of the Twin Air engines. I can't remember exact details but think the order was for European distribution, perhaps even for Fiat to distribute.

Apparently it wasn't a reliability issue but that the engines consume oil, dipstick design is so poor that lots of owners weren't bothering to check. Obvious resul; seized engines and of course, no warranty cover.

The story also referred to an engine reconditioning company where business is booming and they're selling more units than ever.....people keeping their cars for longer? No, main increase in business was for the 2 to 4 yr old cars, same as for the Fiat, longer service intervals, people had got out of the habit of checking the oil levels and are having to pay to replace engines as the cars are too new to scrap.

When I was running a 500 1.2 as a driving school car, it was giving 45-47mpg. On a run, using it myself, the consumption regularly hit 52-55mpg. Sadly the twinair does not seem to have improved as claimed.

I'm now running a Fiesta, with the 1.0l turbo triple, 123hp. Horrible highly strung thing, overgeared so 30mph in third is just ok, but drop to 28mph and it insists on 2nd gear. Getting 43mpg with the learners. Same as the 1.4 before it. So despite the technology, including stop/start, no benefit.

My Panda 1.2 6hp gives 48-52mpg, is quieter, softer, and so much easier to drive.

Progress, its called.

Membership Number: 4815

Nigel Cox

My Panda 1.2 6hp gives 48-52mpg, is quieter, softer, and so much easier to drive.

Progress, its called.

Must be the 6hp then Nigel

Membership Number: oh yes

bernie
Nigel Cox

Progress, its called.

Must be the 6hp then Nigel

Oops! As you know, should be 60hp. Even that sounds wrong. It is 60hp.

Membership Number: 4815

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos