FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum
General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seat 850 spider

Hi,

I have owned a 1971 Spanish SEAT 850 spider for about 23 years. The last 20 it's been in store, in a lock up.
I have now moved it to my home,so no more out of site out of mind !
I am in the process of recommissioning it.
Does any one know of any other SEAT 850 spiders in the UK.
Thanks
Johnny

Membership Number: not yet

Re: Seat 850 spider

Hi, and welcome.

The last Seat 850 I recall was a few years ago, but was a saloon I think - over in Welsh Wales. Jim will be along at some point to either correct me or confirm what happened to it - was it Calvin's?

Tim will be along later I'm sure, and will undoubtedly know where all the 850's are lurking of whatever persuasion - spy(i)der's, saloon's, etc. Where are you based?

There won't be many though I'm sure. Pictures please!!

Gavin.

Membership Number: 5260

Hi Gavin,
Thanks for replying.
I am in East Sussex.
I am hoping to get it up and running for use this year, however, the reason I took it off the road all those years ago was because the high low beam switch on the steering column broke, it started overheating ( blocked rad I think ) and the fuel tank rusted out , and leaked ( due to lots of water in the tank,because some wally left the fuel cap open, when it lived in Spain)
I think the engine and box has to come out to remove the tank !
I do have a replacement light/indicator switch, but its a post 1970 plastic one, not a 600 type chrome stalk /plastic ends.
I think the rad can be refurbished locally.
Not sure how to post pictures,shame, as I have got a few of It taken before I removed it from its 20 years in hiding in a lock up.
It survived really well, hardly any different to when it was put away, only very dust !
Regards
Johnny

Hi Johnny

There is another seat 850 spider in north buckinghamshire area but most of the other 850 spiders in the country are Fiats and that only stretches to an estimated 20 to 25 cars nationwide.

ive owned mine since 1991 and got it on the road in 1993 and its been on the road since(fair weather only) but it has been to Ireland and France in that time.

Yes you are correct the box has to come out but taking the engine out as well makes it easier, you have to disconnect the shocks at the rear as well. I used a tank sealing kit from Frost auto restoration and it has lasted a good 6 or 7 years so far, the sealer/liner method locks in all the loose crud from inside the tank as these cars are subsceptable to muck from the tank getting into the idle jets. there is a drain bolt on the bottom of the tank if the is anything left in there

the rads get blocked from build up of sludge too, you can get the rads recored in an uprated capacity upto about 25% more heat removal which is worthwhile as these cars are marginal on cooling anyway.

if i were you i would count on changing the fuel pump too as its common for the diaphram splitting soon after getting going and then the fuel runs down into the sump which doesnt help

Are you planning to go to Autoitalia's Italian car day at Brooklands in weybridge on saturday 4thMay, 2000plus italian cars and probably my 850 spyder too

Tim Milnes

Membership Number: 5222

Hi Tim,
I probably won't be at any shows this year, as I have other car and building projects on the go.
Thanks for all the info. The Seat was last on the road in 1991, and I moved it from storage last year.
In the 22 years it was in the lock up, i visited it in 1995 with my 3 year old son, to show him dads sports car !
I did not visit it again until my son kept badgering me to go and have a look at it.
I would not go and look, as I didn't want to see a pile of rust, and be disappointed, unless I was moving it to be recommissioned.
I could not move it until I had a undercover place for it at my new ( been here 10 years now ) house.
Myself and my now 21 year old son, went to pick it up with a trailer.I was very surprised when I opened to door, to find it was only very dusty,and one tyre was a bit flat .
It's overall condition was as I had left it all those years ago.
I will keep you all posted of my efforts.
I have sent some pictures to Gavin, in the hope he can get them on here for all to see, nothing special , just the first pics I took when I went to pick it up after all that time in the lock up.
Thanks
Johnny

Johnny
Hi Tim,
I probably won't be at any shows this year, as I have other car and building projects on the go.
Thanks for all the info. The Seat was last on the road in 1991, and I moved it from storage last year.
In the 22 years it was in the lock up, i visited it in 1995 with my 3 year old son, to show him dads sports car !
I did not visit it again until my son kept badgering me to go and have a look at it.
I would not go and look, as I didn't want to see a pile of rust, and be disappointed, unless I was moving it to be recommissioned.
I could not move it until I had a undercover place for it at my new ( been here 10 years now ) house.
Myself and my now 21 year old son, went to pick it up with a trailer.I was very surprised when I opened to door, to find it was only very dusty,and one tyre was a bit flat .
It's overall condition was as I had left it all those years ago.
I will keep you all posted of my efforts.
I have sent some pictures to Gavin, in the hope he can get them on here for all to see, nothing special , just the first pics I took when I went to pick it up after all that time in the lock up.
Thanks
Johnny

Hi Johnny,

The instructions for posting pics are on the first thread of this section. Hopefully yours are below, maybe, possibly.........!!

photo P170711_105101_zpse8129a40.jpg

photo P170711_1054_zps26fd7198.jpg

photo P170711_1101_zps0ccb11b6.jpg

photo P170711_1105_zps4be51376.jpg

photo P170711_110501_zps6f696ec0.jpg

Thanks Gavin,
Unfortunately I am not of the Computer age !
Thanks for putting the pictures up.
I'll keep you posted of my slow progress.
Best regards
Johnny

No they drive me round the bend too!!

I do try but would cheerfully throw mine out of the window most days. I also like carbs and wind up windows as a general principal, as anything else has a hint of witchcraft about it!

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos