FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum
General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
130 coupe fuel tank

My 130 coupe has loads of gunk in the fuel tank which needs cleaning out.

Does anyone know if there is a drain plug anywhere, or is it a pumping out job?

Thanks

Re: 130 coupe fuel tank

I do not know of any car, any make that has a fuel tank drain plug. Some military and plant vehicles I believe have drain plugs.

I think you will have to pump the tank dry.

You don't expand/explain 'gunk'. It could be that you will need to remove the tank completely. Then you can rinse/flush with water and then fully drain down and dry out.

Another option, depending on the tank, then then will be a top access plate where the fuel level sender and outlet & return plates are located. You can remove this unit plate and have a good 6 inch access hole. If the tank is not baffled then a long thin arm will be able to wipe and clean the internal surfaces and finally mop up the residues at the bottom of the tank.

Membership Number: 4970

My W109 Mercedes has a fuel tank drain plug. I removed the tank from my Fiat 130 saloon to do some welding a while ago. I have a feeling it did indeed have a drain plug although I may be wrong, it's quite a while since I did it.

there is a bolt towards the front of the tank near the differental,or undo the filler hose and drain.

Membership Number: yes

Thanks for the feedback guys.

This is the last job as part of a 6 month restoration to get another 130 coupe back on the road. All being well should be on the road in a week or so.

Thanks again

hope the clean-out of the tank goes ok, will await to read of another 130 back on the road, 13 at present,

Membership Number: yes

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos