FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
christine (F1ATM) MOT PASS.

have a new MOT on christine today,(panda mk2) failed on a hole in the inner cill, and a longer hole on the drivers side the less said about that side of the car the better! , and,appiled for a tax disc as well, legal again!

Membership Number: yes

Re: christine (F1ATM) MOT PASS.

You're kidding - a Panda mk.2 rusting already?

fostertom

Well Christine is 20 years old & much the same in terms of constuction as the mk1 from 1981. Nothing unusual about 20 year old cars needing welding imho.

Membership Number: 5260

Gavin
fostertom

Well Christine is 20 years old & much the same in terms of constuction as the mk1 from 1981. Nothing unusual about 20 year old cars needing welding imho.

and was out in winter 3 yrs ago,lots of salt
thanks for your comment gavin, I was suprised at how bad it was, but all fixed now,had lasted well,

the stig,
Gavin
fostertom

and was out in winter 3 yrs ago,lots of salt
thanks for your comment gavin, I was suprised at how bad it was, but all fixed now,had lasted well,

Yes, unfortunately once the rust starts underneath (damage to the underseal maybe?) it rapidly takes hold. Still, I know someone with a 7 year old BMW which has just failed spectacularly on rust underneath - hate to say it, but I never liked them!!

fostertom

Are you thinking of the previous 2004-2011 model Tom?

I'd say the 20 year old one was Mk 1.5

Membership Number: oh yes

The mk1 Panda was 1981-1985 and the mk2 1986-1994 (in the UK). There is an argument that the mk2 went to about 1991, with the mk3 from 1991-1994 (later in Europe), but everyone now pretty much agrees those are mk1 & 2 with the last incarnation being a mk2 facelift. The mk1 is definitely a different version - pretty much nothing is the same - panels, interior, engines, suspension, err rustproofing (lol it got "better" on the mk2 supposedly, but............ ).

Mk3 goes from about 2004 to date (yes still selling it), and we now have the mk4 from 2012 onwards.

Even Fiat now agrees they are on the mk4, but insist on calling the current mk3 the "classic". This is rather confusing as everyone else calls the mk1 & mk2 the classic!!

All clear?

well another year gone,and "christine" was up for A MoT test, and...failed on poor brakes to the rear! hand brake down as well! when i looked at the rear brakes, thinking they were down, they were ok, but the pedal went to the floor! turns out the brake fluid was black,maybe asorbed water over the years, no work done on them for 20 years by all acounts (apart from new discs and pads last november) so my younger daughter (grace)helped me bleed all the system and started to go better just by doing the rear then the front, sorted out the handbrake , and a few advises, took it back and now have a mot PASS!, and,went to a post office to retax as well, (keep the post office going! )
MORAL of this story: change the brake fluid every 5 years! I have owned christine for 5 years,but, looks like no maintanance was done before me,

I had the same problem with My Amigo last month, the fluid was black and the front passenger side drum kept jamming on. As you say, it is worth changing a bit more than some of us do! (also changed the hoses, so that probably had a lot to do with it)

Colin
I had the same problem with My Amigo last month, the fluid was black and the front passenger side drum kept jamming on. As you say, it is worth changing a bit more than some of us do! (also changed the hoses, so that probably had a lot to do with it)

glad you have fixed the brakes on your Amigo colin

christine has passed the MOT Test this year, 2 advisories, 1 minor, 1, ehh? but a pass is good.

Membership Number: yes,

Once again Christine has passed her MOT Test, on Monday 13 th June , 2 advisories, otherwise ok, road tax next £145.00

Membership Number: Yes,

Christine has passed the MOT test for another year, another panda back on the road,

Membership Number: Yes,

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos