FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Timing belt roller bearing

Has anyone changed out the timing belt roller bearing...I think mine is on the way out...

Also anyone changed the water pump...what is involved in doing these two items?

If I listen to the engine I can hear a slight "hollow" noise and if I stick a screwdriver on the roller bearing I can hear a grinding noise...I can't get the screwdriver any where near the water pump...any thoughts as to whether one or the other wears out before the other and what warning if any, these items give before they pack it in?

Glen

Re: Timing belt roller bearing

Glen Solly
Has anyone changed out the timing belt roller bearing...I think mine is on the way out...

Also anyone changed the water pump...what is involved in doing these two items?

If I listen to the engine I can hear a slight "hollow" noise and if I stick a screwdriver on the roller bearing I can hear a grinding noise...I can't get the screwdriver any where near the water pump...any thoughts as to whether one or the other wears out before the other and what warning if any, these items give before they pack it in?

Glen

yes, i have changed the water pump on 3 cars,

the roller bearing is a press fit on the flat plate which pivots on a bolt at one end, and a spring at the other.
if the bearing has big movement from side to side. time to change.

the water pump bearing should have no movement (i.e. big movement is a no-no, otherwise belt could slip a tooth!) the removal of the pump involves : drain water, remove hoses, remove one of the belts, un bolt cam cover, line up timing marks on cams, crankshalf, undo tensioner 1/2 turn,tap in the spring housing, belt comes loose.remove belt, then unbolt bolts that hold the pump to the engine block,give a light tap , should come free,

Membership Number: yes

the Stig...thanks

Glen

Another question for you stig...if you are replacing the belt, which when you stopped the engine all the cams and crankcase were in the correct position then when you release the timing belt, providing you don't change the position of the cams or crankcase is there any need to put the cams and crankcase in the correct position...would it be ok to simply change out the water pump and roller bearing and then put the timing belt back on without lining up the timing marks?

Glen

Nice to know what car/engine you are talking about

Membership Number: 11553

Glen Solly
Another question for you stig...if you are replacing the belt, which when you stopped the engine all the cams and crankcase were in the correct position then when you release the timing belt, providing you don't change the position of the cams or crankcase is there any need to put the cams and crankcase in the correct position...would it be ok to simply change out the water pump and roller bearing and then put the timing belt back on without lining up the timing marks?

Glen

Hi Glen if you go on Youtube there is a video of someone fitting a timing belt on a 130

regards
julian

Membership Number: 11997

Bernie, sorry about that...it's a 130 Coupe

Julian thanks...

Glen

Glen Solly

Glen

the cams and the crankshalf HAVE to be ln line with the timing marks! there is NO clearance be tween the valves and the pistons so, miss timed means BENT VALVES! And your bedtime reading is:reading a 130 workshop manual, setting the timing up prior to removal of cambelt

Membership Number: yes

Glen Solly
Bernie, sorry about that...it's a 130 Coupe

Julian thanks...

Glen

thanks

Membership Number: 11553

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos