FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Classic Car Insurance Valuations

We just had the "Classic Car" insurance renewal with Footman James for our Strada Abarth..

This year they wanted a Valuation and Pictures.

What I found very welcoming is this:

If OVER 20 years old and value less than £15,000 then the vehicle condition / valuation can be completed by the owner. Also depending on how you rate the vehicle condition under five different categories (Paintwork, Chassis/Bodywork, Interior, Engine, Transmission & Electrical Equipment) then they stipulate the number/type of pictures required.

Now this is actually very welcome and quite new because in the past independent valuations were required, and whilst the Fiat MC, have/can do this type of valuation for free, except for the most valuable of Fiats arranging a valuation, getting car and valuer together at a mutually convenient time AND prior to policy renewal can be a nightmare.

So I find this more open minded and practical valuation approach very welcome.

Would be interesting to hear about the rest of you members out there that have Approved Value, Classic Car Insurance Policies, especially those with club insurers Chris Knott Insurance.

Some moons ago Chris Knott were not competitive. Maybe / hopefully this has changed but as we all know changing insurers can be a real hassle and when you do your next year's renewal premium then turns out be be very expensive.

Our Strada premium has been pretty stable ever since we took the policy quite a few years ago.

Membership Number: 4970

Re: Classic Car Insurance Valuations

A lot of members use Peter James for the classic insurance. Worth asking for a quotation before you renew as members have been consistently getting better rates.

Their service is superb and you speak to a person straight away (2 or 3 rings usually). I have had numerous changes to my policy over the last few years and they have been great every time.

Under £15k and over 20 years old is self cert for the agreed value (has been for years), with at least 2 current photos. They turned round revaluations for 6 cars within a week over the Christmas period (inc postage time both ways!). I'm very happy with everything they have done so far and even agreed cover on a very modified Panda without any undue fuss (I emailed them a list of the mods which was hefty including engine/interior/suspension/brakes/trim/colour - some of the panels are original!) - email comes back same day confirming a £31.60 charge to add it to my policy

Membership Number: 5260

Thanks Gavin

My wife had a little disappointment with Chris Knott's underwriters.

Chris Knott (a club insurer) responded quickly, personally and their agent was ever so helpful but sadly the underwriters would not accept my wife's profession.

She's a self employ "stock" photographer. We weren't even looking for business cover as we have full business cover on our other cars. The agent even went back to the underwriters with links to her relevant stock photography. Sadly to no avail. Seems like the underwriters say photographer = paparazzi = trouble. Bunch of narrow minded twits.

I'm now wondering if this now counts as a "refused insurance" condition for future quotes.

Me very angry now!!!!!!!

If Peter James' underwriters have a similar barred profession then that could be two refusals in the space of 24 hours.

I'll call/Email Chris Knott to find out if a failure to quote is a refusal? I suspect not but you never know and answering "no" on future quotes could lead to deep *hit for all we know.

If it helps as a guide for others our current classic renewal is £229, agreed value, Euro Breakdown & Emergency Cover, Personal Accident and Road Rage, European Travel and Legal Protection.

We both already have personal RAC & Euro Cover, so the only adder this policy has is that most normal European Breakdown policies have and "age" limit which Classic Cover will cater for.

All in all not a bad premium compared to quotes we have had in the past.

Don't you JUST HATE the car insurance cycle!

Not sure if that's a refusal - I'd say not, but like you that's applying common sense!

My insurance is now so complicated that I can't untangle individual cars - all the older ones are on one policy and range from group 2 Panda's to a group 18 Coupe. Even so on average they would be less than £60 each - my best guess is that most of them are about £30 and the Coupe/modified Panda are distorting the average premium. Mine's nice and easy now - just renew once a year as no-one can get near to that average price (though I appreciate not everyone lives in an area as boring as mine for insurance purposes).

Well I just checked and it is not an insurance refusal.

The fact that the underwriters/them were not able to quote/cover/offer insurance is not a "been refused" or "insurance declined" status.

"Refusal" is normal normally associated with an insurer discovering that that you have lied, told incorrect facts or otherwise tried to defraud them.

I've just spoken to Peter James Insurance and heard encouraging sounds. Now up to the boss if she wants to go through yet another "Spanish Inquisition"

Gavin, do I take it you have all your cars with Peter James?

Membership Number: Y

Nick
Well I just checked and it is not an insurance refusal.

The fact that the underwriters/them were not able to quote/cover/offer insurance is not a "been refused" or "insurance declined" status.

"Refusal" is normal normally associated with an insurer discovering that that you have lied, told incorrect facts or otherwise tried to defraud them.

I've just spoken to Peter James Insurance and heard encouraging sounds. Now up to the boss if she wants to go through yet another "Spanish Inquisition"

"nobody expects a spanish Inquisition"

oh! I too have 5 fiats insured with peter D james aswell,

Membership Number: yes

Bernie
Gavin, do I take it you have all your cars with Peter James?

Hi Bernie,

Yes all the older ones are on one policy with Peter James. There are now, er, quite a few on it.........!! They seem to take the very sensible view that I can't drive them all at once It makes it much easier to have everything on the one policy - only the modern Abarth is insured elsewhere on a standard policy using its no-claims discount. They also don't make a fuss about where each car is - they said they understood they moved around & only wanted the locations of each lock-up etc (which is noted on the policy) - there's no specific garaging requirement either, but that may change depending on where you live.

Well the boss went for a quote today with Peter James and it turned out £70 more expensive than her current insurer.

Apart from the price the policies were very similar.

Ho Hum

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos