FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum
General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tyres, VR or HR ?

QUESTION: should I renew the tyres on the Fiat 130 Coupe with standard spec tyres 205/70 VR 14 (130MPH +) OR 205/70 HR 14 ( 100 MPH +) ? The coupe is not likely to do 100 MPH let alone 130 MPH!
VR Tyres cost £235.00 each +vat HR cost £ 80 + vat, Any Thoughts on this Question?

Membership Number: yes

Re: Tyres, VR or HR ?

At warp factor (6)six it will have shredded all of your rubber. lol

Klingon attack vessels will be locked on behind at warp factor 5 3/4

this is a no-brainer Mr Stig ..........>>>>>> go for the HR

Membership Number: ex

thank you agent miller, can`t leave a heat trace for the klingons to lock onto, while traveling at warp 3 , HR Tyres! the way forward.......Engage warp speed...

the stig/130
thank you agent miller, can`t leave a heat trace for the klingons to lock onto, while traveling at warp 3 , HR Tyres! the way forward.......Engage warp speed...

Does this mean it's on the road Stiggy?

I don't see you doing mega high speeds anyway as you can't afford the necessary in flight refuelling!!!

Membership Number: 5260

I think you may have insurance problems if you do not fit to Fiat original spec.

The speed rating not only applies to outright speed but also braking and cornering.

I would make an effort to speak to your insurer before changing to HR spec.

Membership Number: 11553

bernie
I think you may have insurance problems if you do not fit to Fiat original spec.

The speed rating not only applies to outright speed but also braking and cornering.

I would make an effort to speak to your insurer before changing to HR spec.

good point bernie, will sound the insurer out,
Gavin,Ouch is still off road. , true i don`t drive fast, as mpg goes down,does make any 130 owner cry when filling up!

I don`t think you`ll have any problems here Mr. Stig The law requires you to have at minimum one point something or other as minimum tread depth.......... My old volvo has 4 different manufacturers on each corner. I`ve just had a butchers hook and there are two different speed ratings.
Was Mot`d two weeks ago with no advisories........don`t waste your money Mr. Stig.

I despair.

bernie
I despair.

bernie, you do have a point, worth asking the Insurer, as too late after a accident and find the Insurer won`t pay out, will report back.....

bernie
I despair.

Ok; you can throw your arms up and assume an all intelligent smugness....the facts remain that the legal limit is way below the speed ratings and the minmum tread depth and general condition of the tyre are really all that matter. Its the MOT certificate that annuls or legits an insurance policy in the UK.

The MOT only counts the day the car was tested. The insurers assessor will check the tyres before paying out on a claim, they did when I was involved in an accident. It was an old car but had a full set of nearly new good quality tyres on it. I think the guy was quite surprised!

I'm not sure about the speed rating mind particularly on a car that isn't actually capable of doing 150 mph. I do know the load rating is important though.

Rob Miller
bernie
I despair.

Ok; you can throw your arms up and assume an all intelligent smugness....the facts remain that the legal limit is way below the speed ratings and the minmum tread depth and general condition of the tyre are really all that matter. Its the MOT certificate that annuls or legits an insurance policy in the UK.

I give up

Dear Mr Stig;
Please put us all in the clear.....have you made contact with your insurers? If so, either send me crashing down in shame; or revive Mr Bernie from his state of despair and give him the pleasure of "well I told you so"

Kind regards and look after those lock ups

Rob Miller

Dear Mr Stig;
Please put us all in the clear.....have you made contact with your insurers? If so, either send me crashing down in shame; or revive Mr Bernie from his state of despair and give him the pleasure of "well I told you so"

Kind regards and look after those lock ups

to/ agent miller. and bernie,
I have spoken to my Insurer,Peter D James, I was told: It is ok to go down to a lower tyre speed rating,
VR to HR,but the tyre must be the same size as the original tyre 14" in my case, and there is no Extra
premium to pay
So I conclude..........I can speed along at warp factor 4,instead of warp 6

The secret lock-ups are secure, one has a leak (water! not news leak) all lock ups have a car
inside Except one,!!!

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos