FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum
General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
130 coupe ownership

I'm a late 60's old phart Yank who has always admired the 130 coupe. There are very few here in the States, but there is a very nice 5 speed available in Florida that I wish to purchase. My fear is that no one here has any experience with the engine, and any repairs that might become necessary would be botched. I am trying to determine if there are members of your club who are sufficiently familiar with the V-6 that I would feel comfortable relying on their expertise guide me (or a competent mechanic) through troubles.
In other words...is there an english speaking 130 coupe world that communicates on the web?

Re: 130 coupe ownership

Rick
I'm a late 60's old phart Yank who has always admired the 130 coupe. There are very few here in the States, but there is a very nice 5 speed available in Florida that I wish to purchase. My fear is that no one here has any experience with the engine, and any repairs that might become necessary would be botched. I am trying to determine if there are members of your club who are sufficiently familiar with the V-6 that I would feel comfortable relying on their expertise guide me (or a competent mechanic) through troubles.
In other words...is there an english speaking 130 coupe world that communicates on the web?

Hi rick, will a manchester english 130 owner do?
I also am the 130 registrar for the motor club,
have a look on facebook as well, "Fiat 130 cars of the world"
there are about 4 in the USA,

Regards
stiggy
P.S, hope you join our club

Membership Number: yes

Hi Rick, I live in Australia and have found the assistance given to me by all the members on this website to be extremely helpful and there is a camaraderie amongst the owners of Fiat 130's...except when it comes to spare parts...lol

If you have any issues with window regulators, rear tail lights, or stripping down the air con/heater unit I can maybe help....engines and the like I think maybe the Stig or other members...

Keep us posted if you end up buying the car

Glen

Hello Rick i run & own the Fiat 130 cars of the world page on facebook please do add me as a friend then you can go on my other pages and see every one of my photos that i post on there regards Andrew https://www.facebook.com/groups/1470889053137071/
i also own https://www.facebook.com/groups/375508832532512/ pages Jaguar cars of the world
and i have Mazda mx & rx cars of the world https://www.facebook.com/groups/1453810644885797/

Stig
Thanks for your reply. Is there any way you could put me in touch with one (or all) of the US owners? I'd like to find out if there are any mechanics in the US who have a knowledge of the 130 engine. I'm at pugh at comcast dot net. I'm sure the engine is not so complicated that a good, experienced mechanic couldn't figure things out....I just hate to pay for the education. That engine wasn't used in any other car was it?
The car I'm looking at is a 5 speed that appears to be in excellent condition.

@Glen and Jagnuts....thanks for your replys

Rick

put in the search box "fiat 130" this will bring up some threads where brett and others,have a link to their email address, contact ,

I'm still poking around wanting a 130 Coupe. Hope to go to Florida in the next few weeks to look at this car:

http://www.thebarnmiami.com/1972_FIAT_130_Miami_FL_243844571.veh
(he also has Lancia Thema 8.32 that I like)

My only complaint regarding these cars is the relationship between the wheels/tires and the body. To my old eyes, the car should be slightly lower or the wheels/tires should be slightly larger.

Anybody else feel this way and has anyone tried to lower a 130 coupe? or use larger wheels with any success ??

(I'm going to cross-post this on Andrew's face book site)

Rick

Interesting question...I agree that the 130 Coupe is one of those cars that at some angles it doesn't quite look right and yet to me when viewed from a profile perspective is one of the most elegant looking motor vehicles I have ever seen...regards the tyres and lowering it I don't know I have never considered it believing that my job is to maintain the vehicle in as close to original condition as possible until I pass it on to the next owner...my only comment would be to ask myself whether it would affect the "ride" when driving the car...with the torsion bar set up as they are the ride is quite rigid...also lowering the ride would mean the dreaded sump is that much closer to whatever is going to rip a hole in the sump...just my thoughts...let us know how you go when you visit Florida...I have great memories of visiting the Kissimmee (bit like Mississippi lots of i's and s's and a couple of m & e's thrown in for fun) air museum and doing aerobatics in a Texan...

been upside down in an AT 6 myself !!!

Rick
I'm still poking around wanting a 130 Coupe. Hope to go to Florida in the next few weeks to look at this car:

http://www.thebarnmiami.com/1972_FIAT_130_Miami_FL_243844571.veh
(he also has Lancia Thema 8.32 that I like)

My only complaint regarding these cars is the relationship between the wheels/tires and the body. To my old eyes, the car should be slightly lower or the wheels/tires should be slightly larger.

Anybody else feel this way and has anyone tried to lower a 130 coupe? or use larger wheels with any success ??

(I'm going to cross-post this on Andrew's face book site)

Rick

hi rick, happy new year, hope viewing the 130 coupe goes ok, saw the link on facebook,
looks good, not sure about the right hand rear wing, looks like a crease in the wing, could be a trick of the light,

Just had a look at the car from the link you gave...the car is certainly higher than mine at the front wheels...not saying mine is right...

Glen

Hi Rick
I also live in Australia (Maitland NSW) my phone number is 0407909672. Maybe we can help each other out. Anyway I am trying to find an oil seal for the front crankshaft. Do you know anywhere I can get one?
Thanks
john

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos