Re: AutoItalia--Brooklands--May 3rd

Hi All

I will be there in an 850

Tim

Membership Number: 5222

Hi,

Yes we'll be there as usual.

I'm expecting that we will be up with the Fiat section at the top of the banking, but have emailed Phil today.

I'll update everyone when I have more information.

Fingers crossed for some good weather!

Membership Number: 5260

In times past the FMC had an allocated area.

Do we have an official Fiat Motor Club stand/area or do we have just grope for a place on another allocated/free for all area.????????????

Whilst being a member of the FMC and having on many previous events populated the stand with two and even three cars (costing trailer hire etc) the last two (if not more) Brooklands events have not had an FMC dedicated area and FMC members have ended up on the Fiat Forum area.

No disrespect to the Fiat Forum but they are new and have very few if any cars to present and show that are over 20 years old. The Fiat MC can do this and also present "young Fiat ducklings" on the FMC stand/area.

Are we as a club missing an opportunity to regain the ground we have lost over the last past few years?

Membership Number: 4970

I haven't heard from Phil yet but will email again.

I suggested this year that we park adjacent to FF as we can't get people turning up at the same time to park together.

Personally I have no problem with joining in with FF - most of our members are also members of that forum & we do share a hobby. I realise not everyone agrees but times move on.

If you go back 10 years or so when Jo kindly organised stands at Brooklands it was a nightmare trying to get people parked in "our" area & she spent hours trying to reserve a few spaces. Every year some of our members cars also get put into the paddock at the bottom, again meaning it's very difficult to arrange a formal stand.

In my opinion, it just doesn't work at Brooklands unless you are volunteering to organise next year's stand, get the people to arrive at 8.30 and reserve spaces as the place fills up - this is serious by the way - just let me know & we'll put you down as organiser for next year's event.

Edit: there has been no-one willing to organise this properly since Jo sadly passed away. It needs someone willing to put in some time to get people to commit to going, and also be there when the gates open to rerserve space. Unfortunately I don't know anyone able to offer this at present - I certainly can't guarantee to get there earlier enough. The last time I asked for a specific space & tried hard to get things done "as members wanted" we ended up on an overflow carpark - about 6 of us missed all the atmosphere of the show while other members joined FF - you really can't win it seems!!

Thanks for the reply Gavin.

I used to be a club official but not in recent times.

I do and did appreciate the efforts of Jo and supported her an other's efforts. Paying to trailer our cars to events etc.

My point now being is what are existing "signed up" club officials doing to collectively organise just one of the prime "massive exposure" event per year?

I find it distressing the Phil has not responded to your Email. Maybe the FMC are now irrelevant in certain eyes?

I also remember your "overflow" situation as I was there but thankfully was guided by pure chance (because of our Strada Abarth?) to a different area.

To be honest Auto Italia is becoming an Us and Them Event. Not an FMC caused issue but an organiser's dedication and blinkered focussing on prestige brands and crowd pullers. In the early days every effort was made to ensure all Italian car clubs got specifically catered for.

Now that the event is so successful poxy crappy Fiats are probably more of an annoyance (but their money will be rapidly taken).

Maybe we need FMC, Fiat Forum, et al to boycott next years event. That would certainly take 1000s (10,000?) of pounds out of the equation and possibly rejuvenate the once original level appreciation of whatever Italian car one had.

No doubt I'm going to get some flak over this post (not from the FMC I hope) but this issue of club stands has been around and unanswered for a few years now and as you have personally found out your Emails as a club official seem to get ignored.

Fiat = Crap

Put them all (FMC, Fiat Forum, Sporting Fiats Club...) up on the banking as far away as we can get them. We (FMC, Fiat Forum, Sporting Fiats Club...) in past when the event was still growing used to all get our own stands. Now we are just the chicken feed.

Nick /////

Or do as I do

Go in a non Italian car, park up at 08:30 in the public car park and enjoy the day - simples

Nick
Thanks for the reply Gavin.

I used to be a club official but not in recent times.

I do and did appreciate the efforts of Jo and supported her an other's efforts. Paying to trailer our cars to events etc.

My point now being is what are existing "signed up" club officials doing to collectively organise just one of the prime "massive exposure" event per year?

I find it distressing the Phil has not responded to your Email. Maybe the FMC are now irrelevant in certain eyes?

I also remember your "overflow" situation as I was there but thankfully was guided by pure chance (because of our Strada Abarth?) to a different area.

To be honest Auto Italia is becoming an Us and Them Event. Not an FMC caused issue but an organiser's dedication and blinkered focussing on prestige brands and crowd pullers. In the early days every effort was made to ensure all Italian car clubs got specifically catered for.

Now that the event is so successful poxy crappy Fiats are probably more of an annoyance (but their money will be rapidly taken).

Maybe we need FMC, Fiat Forum, et al to boycott next years event. That would certainly take 1000s (10,000?) of pounds out of the equation and possibly rejuvenate the once original level appreciation of whatever Italian car one had.

No doubt I'm going to get some flak over this post (not from the FMC I hope) but this issue of club stands has been around and unanswered for a few years now and as you have personally found out your Emails as a club official seem to get ignored.

Fiat = Crap

Put them all (FMC, Fiat Forum, Sporting Fiats Club...) up on the banking as far away as we can get them. We (FMC, Fiat Forum, Sporting Fiats Club...) in past when the event was still growing used to all get our own stands. Now we are just the chicken feed.

Nick /////

I don't think I'm able to disagree with much of that Nick!

I don't, however, think that there's anything deliberate in putting the Fiat's up the hill - I like it up there anyway as you're part of the historic banking. I also think that the event's so big now that it's just not feasible to cater for small groups wanting separate areas - it would be feasible, but probably not high on the list of things for Phil to do to be fair.

I like Brooklands as an event, and am happy to just be part of Fiat parking as long as I'm not in a carpark

As I said before, there's no one willing to actively organise this as a Club stand - I can't force people. Having seen that I didn't have any support from the membership for the NEC show and had to rely on Fiat Forum helpers (and am not getting swamped for any of the other shows I'm organising e.g. Chiltern Hills, Luton, Santa Pod & Shelsley Walsh to name but a few), you'll excuse me if I'm feeling a little jaded at the moment!

I've no problem with being with the Fiat Forum. I'm a web member regularly contributing to the forum members with many hundreds of appreciated posts.

If I have an issue with the banking it is that it is remote location. The AROC and Lancia Clubs, etc, get far more advantageous locations to traffic flow. Bring two Maserati as a club and you will be possibly even in the Club House Enclosure.

The FMC could annually ask Phil/Auto Italia to provide a 5 / 10 /20 (whatever) car space nearer to the action/footfall. It would be up to the club pre allocate spaces based on what the club wanted to present to the public. If allocated/themed spaces are not filled then the club can just fill the spaces on the day.

There must be at least 10 or more Fiat MC members attending every year so whilst I accept that Fiat MC members who do not register for a place on the club stand will be upset it they are moved on, by the same process the FMC will always be able to fill their allocated slot.

Every year the Fiat 500 club (or what ever they are called) who are possibly 90%+ FMC members as well get a pitch very near to if not alongside the club house.

I guess there is no easy solution to this problem but I'm upset/dismayed that the oldest RAC Registered/Affiliated Club in the UK has to grovel for whatever space they can find.

Not up to me. Up to members to decide.

Meanwhile if the 10+ model club registrars can't communicate with each other and come up with a 10+ car placing to entice auto Italia to give the FMC a better/prime pitch then god help the club.

I think we've got a lot to offer as a club. There's variety and some very rare cars, a few of which have been featured in magazines. It's a shame the Auto Italia organisers don't see that, but maybe I'm biased. To be honest, as much as I like Fiat 500s, seeing a whole club devoted to one model is not so interesting. For many of us in the club we can pretty much guarantee being the sole representative of our model at car shows.

Does Phil Ward still have his Moretti with humble Fiat underpinnings - couldn't we appeal to his Fiat heart?!

I'll be coming along in my 850 Sport Coupe Series 3. I don't live too far from Brooklands so I could get there for 8.30 and help to reserve spaces if we can't get an allocated area. Anyone else going? You'd think that if there are only a few of us it would be even easier to squeeze us in nearer the clubhouse.

Membership Number: 12358

Hi Gavin/Nick

Its good to see discussion with ideas too, i have in the past parked my 850 spyder with the club in what ever area seems to be used and recently i have parked my 850 coupe (ot1000replica) in the outer paddock area so as to get some Fiat vehicles into that area, my cars have been used on the merc track and test hill on many occasions.

So i have experience of both ends of the spectrum, it can be a bit worrying though at times trying to negotiate the crowds around the paddock with a small vehicle whilst lots of excited crowd members are distracted by all the action going on. Also lots of people walking very close to the cars whilst parked with all the food/drink outlets nearby. I must say that i have never had a bad experience with this issue but its always a worry.

The idea of a smaller Niche set from the club but it would be sensible if this was offered to the club that those vehicles would be in place by a certain time of the morning so the organizers would be able to enjoy the rest of the day knowing those vehicles were in place, They wouldn't need club official attendance at all times in the area i wouldn't have thought.

I plan to bring two 850's but one of them has not been on the road since 2009 and i will not get the tax on it till Thursday so i cant road test it till then(yes it does now have an mot), if it is a problem a will have to leave that one at home and bring the 3rd one instead.

Ok thats my two pennies worth, hope to catch up on Saturday

have Fun

Tim Milnes

Thanks for these responses.

I will be the first to admit that things are never as straight forward as any individual sees.

Never the less the last two posts show some ideas one how we could get our FMC cars together.

We are planning on attending but come from farther afield so for the first time ever have not pre-purchased tickets.

Hi All

I will though if i get the chance sneak a Fiat in the Outer paddock area

Tim

Just to confirm the Fiat clubs are at the top of the banking. The map I've been sent does not differentiate between the various clubs.

The event details are:

TIMETABLE
07.30 Stand set up begins
08.00 Gates open (ticket holders)
08.30 Gates open (general entry)
09.00 Signing on begins
11.00 Drivers’ briefing
12.00 Track demo start
13.00 Track demo end
13.00 Silver Arrows demo
13.00 Lunch break
14.00 Drivers’ briefing
14.45 Test Hill start
15.30 Test Hill end
17.00 Event closed

I'm afraid there is zero chance of me getting there at 7.30am, hence I can't try to keep spaces even if I knew who was arriving by 8.30am. To be honest I probably can't get there before about 9.30am, so along with everyone else we will just have to enjoy parking amongst all the Fiat's as one big happy family.

Thanks for the update Gavin.

Just had an idea for anybody going.

Print off on 3 A4 sized pieces of paper FMC and when/if any one gets find a nice space park up and display the FMC initials on your screen. Lets see if that help us route out each other more efficiently.

I got the club badge (as others do) on their cars but they are not the easiest of things to spot when moving and looking out for pedestrians.

Nick

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos