District 6 Wrestling Forum

Welcome to our forum. Feel free to post a message and talk about the outstanding wrestlers in District 6. We are not limited to any part of the district, so join in and post your comments!

Just remember to keep it clean and do not bash the student-athletes, coaches, other fans, and yes, even the officials!

We want to continue to make this site the best place to visit for the most informative content in District 6, and your comments and thoughts will help us to maintain those high standards!

if I feel that your comments are derogatory or just plain idiotic, you will be banned from this site without warning. This is NOT why we have this forum and if the problems continue, the site will simply shut down.

I really don't want to do that since it can be a great source of information and a great venue to share ideas as long as they are positive.

District 6 Wrestling Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What Could Have Been ? Impressed

I saw a title in an earlier thread and in comparison to what some of these local teams could have been. Arguably, the most affected team has been Bellefonte. I'm not sure how much they have questioned, challenged, etc. I have not heard much. Truth be told, I am a CM follower for many yeas so I seen several of these wrestlers grow up and compete in things like the Keystone League, etc. It was a group of wrestlers I thought would be a team to keep an eye on down the road. But the Bellefonte program got blown up. If you look at the potential line-up or what could have been, combining this years line-ups. From 106 -170 they would be tough to beat by anyone & they would be young.
106 - Gilliam RS FR (transferred to BEA)
113 - Aikey FR
120 - Witmer RS FR
126 - Stewart JR/Coppolo SO
132 - Smith JR
138 - Courts SO
145 - Richer FR/Simmons SO - Don't know who wins
152 - Rothrock SO
160 - Rosenberger JR
170 - Rossman FR
182 - Howe JR
195 - Mondy SR
220 - Davidson SR
285 - Orndorf JR

This might have been a great dual meet with Westmont (combined McCort) which is what the sport needs, more exciting duals. Perhaps even competing against some of the states best and putting D6 back on the map.

We wrestled Bellefonte a few weeks back in Bucktail and their Jr. High has been depleted as well as their youth program. Not sure if they had guys sick, out ,etc. It was scary to see all of that change in just a few years. Thankfully CM has been immune to this on our side of the district but who knows for how long. Not sure what happened, one can only speculate. Will other programs follow in the same pattern? Let's hope not. Will District 6 be effected? Look what happened to District 11, a once dominant district now is controlled by one Beth Catholic. Yes, Nazareth is competitive but not really against BECA. At one time, each week was a battle between Easton, Nazareth, Parkland, Northampton, etc. Arguably, the best districts are District 7 and 1 from a depth standpoint, at least in AAA.

We all know wrestlers transferred for academic reasons, of course, why else would they?. But probably not for the reasons why some might except. For SOME, their home school would not allow them to repeat a grade, essentially a redshirt year. As a result, they had to look elsewhere. We know this doesn't apply for all SJCA wrestlers but it does to some. Just look through the PJW brackets and you can figure this one out or and find their home schools.

Re: What Could Have Been ? Impressed

I also haven't heard much - but I found the recent "rise" a little unsettling, coming from the other side of the mountain where we have our own issues with the "we aren't recruiting" recruiting.

As far as dual meets that are exciting - The WH V Penn Cambria dual this year was as exciting a dual meet that I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. So was the FH v WH and I think the draw for our dual v Huntington made that a little less anti - climatic than it would have been if it had started a different weight. All public schools - all home grown kids that have come up the systems.

We are constantly hearing about growing our sport - these private schools don't grow the sport - they make it more exclusive. When a few AA schools start to drop their programs - that's opportunities and exposure to the sport taken away from the new kid or the middle of the pack wrestler that cant crack the line up when there is only one line up to make in town. Why would they bother?

Maybe if they had feeders - if they put the time and effort into building their brand, I'd respect their accomplishments more. But as parasites, I don't see what they bring to the table except a path to push the sport more to the outskirts, more niche.

Don't get me wrong - amazing wrestlers - top notch talent - do kids transfer for legit reasons? of course - but that they all found the Bellefonte, State College and Juanita school districts sub par academically or found religion??? - go sell that to someone who's buying.

.. and last thing .. we cant say "well they didn't get any of our kids" or "its on the other side of the mountain" so its not my problem.

This is ALL of our problem - and if we don't get out ahead of it and hold them accountable, your program could be next - then it will be your problem for real and it might be too late.

Topper86
I also haven't heard much - but I found the recent "rise" a little unsettling, coming from the other side of the mountain where we have our own issues with the "we aren't recruiting" recruiting.

As far as dual meets that are exciting - The WH V Penn Cambria dual this year was as exciting a dual meet that I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot. So was the FH v WH and I think the draw for our dual v Huntington made that a little less anti - climatic than it would have been if it had started a different weight. All public schools - all home grown kids that have come up the systems.

We are constantly hearing about growing our sport - these private schools don't grow the sport - they make it more exclusive. When a few AA schools start to drop their programs - that's opportunities and exposure to the sport taken away from the new kid or the middle of the pack wrestler that cant crack the line up when there is only one line up to make in town. Why would they bother?

Maybe if they had feeders - if they put the time and effort into building their brand, I'd respect their accomplishments more. But as parasites, I don't see what they bring to the table except a path to push the sport more to the outskirts, more niche.

Don't get me wrong - amazing wrestlers - top notch talent - do kids transfer for legit reasons? of course - but that they all found the Bellefonte, State College and Juanita school districts sub par academically or found religion??? - go sell that to someone who's buying.

Homegrown? Let's be honest here, how good is Westmont without the Ferndale co-op? Get off your high horse I'm so tired of your grandstanding. You're like someone who gets broke up with and can't let go. You did your best to bury McCort and it did nothing. You're pathetic, let your brother coach and the kids wrestle, sit back, watch and enjoy.

You claim you got McCort put on probation, that's totally false. What got McCort and Coach benton in trouble was having a heart. He knew a kid was at risk and tried to help him. It had nothing to do with wrestling. Look at the situation now, that talented kid is not wrestling and is in serious danger of getting caught up in some serious ****. Oh yeah, cause Coach Andrews supposedly sent a text about a scholarship that is on every billboard in Johnstown, its in the papers and on TV.

You continuously come on here because you have nothing better to do with yourself and mock McCort but you know nothing. You have no clue why kids go there, what goes on in their lives. Would you want your son/daughter at Johnstown right now? Academically it is underachieving, christ they just pulled a kid who wrestled out of the school on Friday for murder. There are some great kids there and some great people trying to help them, but you can only do so much before it can become a distraction. I'm guessing you don't know what the streets are like, you don't have to see such things. These kids leave and go to McCort to make a better life for themselves, to get away from people and things that drag them down. To prepare for the academic rigors of college life, again it's not just about sports.

Westmont isn't the most culturally diverse school district in Johnstown, so can you imagine an african american kid wanting to leave because of racial slurs that were hurled his way in junior high. Yes, believe it or not it happens. Kids move because of parents divorcing, job changes, whatever the case may be. You know nothing about any of it.

If you were half as intelligent as you try to act you could do some research on your public schools and see just how many kids move from one school to another. It happens all over the state. If parents want to pay money to send their child to McCort or St. Joe's what business is it really of yours? You're on a message board arguing about it being unfair, maybe you should run for school board and find out why kids leave in the first place, be pro-active and make a change instead of being a victim and crying about it.

St. Joe's kids and McCort kids are all great, respectful kids. Their coaches work hard and are trying to build programs. Let's not act like our local public schools are perfect and don't do anything wrong. Forest Hills has a few kids in the youth program that left another local school. Chestnut Ridge has at least one transfer high school kid and two in junior high. Look at the state dual tournament at ;east six of the schools had kids who transferred in from other schools.

You want to continuously berate private schools and it's a state-wide issue and in all sports not just wrestling. Let's cry about kids red shirting it happens all the time 16 year old freshmen wrestling 14 year olds. 19 almost 20 by the time you graduate. I have lots of friends who have done it and i'm not knocking it but lets just cry about everything while we're here.

Westmont is not the perfect little town you make it out to be it has it's

Huh?

Where did I mention McCort?
I must have hit a nerve.
More than half of your response is rubbish.
I never said anything about the St Joes kids ~I’m sure they are fine young men.
You clearly didn’t read what I wrote and your what•about•ism is showing.
Good luck in the post season!

There is no doubt that if Westmont and Bellefonte had all their "homegrown" kids, they would have easily been the kings of District 6 this year and probably for future years as well. Bethlehem Catholic is a great example of how it is ruining the local wrestling landscape. It is a tough one.

Individual kids will probably be better off in the long run, but local wrestling programs and rivalries will suffer as well. The only question I have: is how does this happen to a very qualified and seasoned coach Maney and his staff at Bellefonte? What could cause such a rift in the local wrestling community that you would leave Bellefonte and then recruit wrestlers to leave their school and pay thousands of dollars to go to a private school?

THIS POST IS SLANDER AGAINST WH. I SUGGEST YOU TAKING IT DOWN BEFORE I FILE A LAWSUIT. OH YA, I GREW UP IN OLD WESTMONT, YOU BETTER WATCH YOURSELF BOBBY.

A few things I would like to point out about your post, Bob. You should feel real "BIG" about yourself coming at a woman who voices her opinion on a message board.

1)Homegrown, YES. I don't expect you to know the relationship between the Ferndale and Westmont programs from an ELEMENTARY standpoint, but WH accepts those Ferndale kids as their own. Little do you know, that very few kids continue to wrestle from Ferndale after the elementary level, as WH had ONE junior high kid, and 4-5 varsity kids (I think one of which started regularly). Get all your facts straight, I think I've said that to you a couple times before. As you should know, a couple wrestlers don't make a team, cough cough.

2)If you wanna be honest, Forest Hills got McCort put on probation, as someone not named Mr. Andrews was sending text messages trying to recruit 2 junior high studs off FH (I have the text messages). Don't blame Coach Benton getting fired on a kid who got himself in trouble with the law. That's ridiculous.

3)Is this kid who you are crying racism comments about the same kid who was hanging out with the WH coaching staff during breaks all weekend? If I wouldn't have known any better, I would have said he wanted to be a Hilltopper again.

4) You tell Topper86 and her brother, who I mention was voted by the District as COACH OF THE YEAR to let their kids wrestle and enjoy it, do you have nothing better to do than come bash them on a message board? Your son's season is over, you enjoyed it, now move onto baseball or track, maybe some summer wrestling. Your winter sport season is over, sir. Better luck advancing to IUP next year.

5) As you are now starting to bash Greater Johnstown SD and wrestling team, personally I think their coaches do an amazing job with what they have. Coach Harris is doing it the right way down there. If kids' grades aren't good enough, he doesn't wrestle them. If the kids aren't behaving correctly, he doesn't wrestle them.

6) You say about giving kids a better life at BM. Is that why John du Pont built the Taj Mahal at OSCW? To give his grandson a better life? To give all these kids a better life? You get off your high horse. You guys recruit and still aren't the best in the district, heck BM isn't even the best in the LHAC. HOMEGROWN SCHOOLS all day.

In closing, the PIAA will never do anything about this issue, so we all just need to deal with it. It has been going on for the last how many years. Unfortunately, I agree that these private schools will ruin public schools before it's said and done, as wrestling is truly a dying sport. Bishop McCort will be just like a SSA, although on completely different levels.

Good Luck to ALL Public Schools this weekend!

In response to a statement in a previous post, how does one go about building a program in this case "wrestling" team when you have no feeder program within your own school system?

Rumor has it, a young man from DuBois is on the move.

Hey Mark:

Last fall at a high school football game, I heard about a DuBois junior high standout who next season would be transferring to SJCA. Didn't hear a name though but understood it was somebody who might give the Wolves a boost in the weight classes they have had open spots in above 152?

But we're now hearing that the Mounties might next season pick up a solid member of the current Wolfpack that ran away with the D6AA title last weekend.

This year's not over but next season should be entertaining

Bob, before you bash the local public schools, you should do your HW on the trouble that has occurred down on Osbourne Street in the past 5 years. Start with last year and a star athlete who was kicked out of school and work back to the legal issues of the school and dioceses. Every school has their issues including Bishop McCort so please stop with the “better life” nonsense!

Let’s be real, the BM program was started to do exactly what ST. Joes has done...bring in studs who can immediately form a championship team. The recruiting evidence more than proves that. The problem is that BM couldn’t get the studs! They do have a nice young group with Malcolm, Warshel, Andrews, and Marcozzi but they can’t come close to replacing what the Big 3 brought to the table. Unless there are more recruits in the works, BM will win 4 matches a night.

Your “holier than thou, private school is superior to public school” attitude is exactly why Catholic schools rub people the wrong way!

LHWrestlingFan
Bob, before you bash the local public schools, you should do your HW on the trouble that has occurred down on Osbourne Street in the past 5 years. Start with last year and a star athlete who was kicked out of school and work back to the legal issues of the school and dioceses. Every school has their issues including Bishop McCort so please stop with the “better life” nonsense!

Let’s be real, the BM program was started to do exactly what ST. Joes has done...bring in studs who can immediately form a championship team. The recruiting evidence more than proves that. The problem is that BM couldn’t get the studs! They do have a nice young group with Malcolm, Warshel, Andrews, and Marcozzi but they can’t come close to replacing what the Big 3 brought to the table. Unless there are more recruits in the works, BM will win 4 matches a night.

Your “holier than thou, private school is superior to public school” attitude is exactly why Catholic schools rub people the wrong way!
There's no bashing of any public schools, you folks want to lash out about privates and when kids transfer to publics it's like it never happened. The bottom line is who cares, if it isn't your kid it really doesn't matter.

Will does the best with what he can at Johnstown and there's no knock on him. There's a lot of circumstances that are way beyond his control. You have no idea what the kids lives were like before they went to McCort, what their study habits were, who they ran with or anything else.

McCort kids weren't Westmont kids. Jones is the only one who even ever attended Westmont...Period, so how can anyone say if they had their kids they'd be better when they were never their kids to begin with. Maybe those kids never truly felt comfortable there..Again that's no ones business. Those kids go there before 9th grade and in this state you have that right to do so.

The biggest strike against Benton was that he let a kid practice who was no longer enrolled in the school. Wille you can think you know everything, but you don't that was the biggest factor as it was explained to parents. Shad is a good man and was trying to help a kid not become a statistic. It didn't benefit him or his team, he did it because he cared what happened to the kid.

Most of these kids were all trained by the Strittmatters, Wallers or Chertow. High school coaches help the development but lets just be honest. No one high school coach is responsible for their abilities.

No one claimed McCort would ever be the king of the LHAC. They have a program kids join it and they wrestle. It's a good faith based education and it prepares kids for college. Period...

Again, folks, stop the ******* contest. This is a forum to promote the sport and share information. Agree to disagree or meet in person and work it out. A little is entertaining....a lot is ridiculous.

I agree with the last post here. At the end , we are still talking about kids, and the choices we as parents are allowed to make with and for them.
If the PIAA says private schools should be in another division, then so be it. But as of now, that’s not the case. So all the acustions of recruiting and cheating are nonsense.

My first ever comments in here were , why are you all not concerned why so many athletes decided to not even wrestle for the program you claim developed them? How do you ignore that?

Do I know the answer to this all. Nope,nada, no way. But I’ll be at regions this weekend. And if anyone wants to ask me personally why I put my kid in this school, I’ll buy you dinner and chat. Any more than two people, I can’t afford. Private schools cost a lot of money!!

Again, I post my real name. And my
Email is rohl@alliedrestoration.com. If you want to chat

Good luck to all the D6 kids going to regions!!

Lol...private school parents justifying their reasons as anything but athletic intent is comical. I think we’d all respect you more if you just said, “yes, I chose (insert catholic school) because I feel that it offered my child better athletic opportunities....period”. What ticks everyone off is when you paint this illusion of having a better life and wanting religion and all that nonsense. Cut the crap. You wanted an easy route to building a championship team and having better work out partners...period. It’s all nonsense and quite frankly exhausting. Public schools have to compete with teams that have different rules..it is what it is!

Now, on to wrestling. D7 has a very tough crop of young studs. D6 will be represented and D5, well, if you’re not from Ridge, buckle em up! I do think the SW Region is primed to bring home a lot of hardware from Hershey. I can see D6 having as many as 6 state champs! I can’t wait!!!

Wille I don't care who you are or where your from. You're a coward who hides behind a screen name. I'll be at IUP Friday and Saturday please introduce yourself. I don't post on any of these sites I just keep hearing about my name being brought up and that's fine, but don't talk about my kid.

You're a pathetic piece of **** cyber wanna be bully that talks down on children. I'm a grown ass man and not hard to find. My son goes to mccort and that's his choice...period

I'm guessing that the folks at Lockheed Martin would frown upon you using their IP address to bully kids on the internet.

I.root for all local kids always have always will. I don't care what school they go to.

Anxiously awaiting your greeting...:kissing_closed_eyes:

Dear Mr. Lichtenfels,

Well you ask who I am. Well I am not afraid to state who I am. My name is Tyler Morder, and I volunteered at Westmont Junior High this season. I was born a Westmont kid, who actually moved to Richland in 8th grade, and yes, there were hard feelings between Westmont and Richland because of it back then. I have many connections to other programs in the area, as I have created lifelong friends over the years with many people BECAUSE of wrestling, and cheer for every kid in out district. I am not biased toward one program or another, as I am just a wrestling fan in general. I have not meant to be portrayed as a cyber bully, and truly believe that I have not “bashed” any kid in any way. Yes, I said that the reason BM beat MU was because Warshel “upset” Boozel (again, this is my opinion). If that is considered bashing, I am sorry to hurt you or any one else’s feelings.

Back when I wrestled, there was a team who was a Western PA powerhouse, Shady Side Academy. They even tried to get the Henderson twin’s to come to their school at Hershey their freshman year, right in front of my coaches and I. My honest opinion, is if kids are going to private schools for an education, then fine. I accept that. However, I feel that 75% of the kids transfer to a private school for athletic reasons, whether it’s better practice partners, better recognition, to be teammates with friends, whatever. I find it hard for parents to say they get a better education at BM, for instance, where teachers aren’t required to have a teaching degree to teach or sub there.

My issues with BM & SJCA Wrestling Programs and truthfully any private school in PA is simple. The public school’s success depends on the foundation of an elementary program. You build a feeder program, where the kids then transition to junior high, and then the varsity coach tweaks them into fine running machines. The private schools do not have feeders. BM does not have an elementary program. They do not have a junior high team, yes, there are a few kids (I think two) who wrestled in open junior high tournaments this season. It’s hard enough to get kids out on wrestling teams at public schools. I agree, that this could ruin some programs in the future due to lack of numbers. So I do not feel that it is right for a school principal to send text messages to other parents advising them that there are “scholarships available”, taking kids away from the program that built them. End of story.

In the grand scheme of things, is very few kids in this world will become a David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Snyder. Truthfully, I don’t think any of the local kids are at that caliber. Is that bashing these young athletes, absolutely not, and I hope that they prove wrong. But there are a slim percentage of kids who will be elite. Wrestling teaches kids about work ethic, dedication, and forming friendships that will last a lifetime, and when push comes to shove, everyone is apart of a family regardless of the color of their singlet.

In closure, I hope that this clears up some of the contents of my previous posts and that we can be adults and agree to disagree. Thank you, and good luck to every athlete competing this weekend!

Now it’s your turn CrusherSports, who are you hiding behind a username?

Rack em Willie
Dear Mr. Lichtenfels,

Well you ask who I am. Well I am not afraid to state who I am. My name is Tyler Morder, and I volunteered at Westmont Junior High this season. I was born a Westmont kid, who actually moved to Richland in 8th grade, and yes, there were hard feelings between Westmont and Richland because of it back then. I have many connections to other programs in the area, as I have created lifelong friends over the years with many people BECAUSE of wrestling, and cheer for every kid in out district. I am not biased toward one program or another, as I am just a wrestling fan in general. I have not meant to be portrayed as a cyber bully, and truly believe that I have not “bashed” any kid in any way. Yes, I said that the reason BM beat MU was because Warshel “upset” Boozel (again, this is my opinion). If that is considered bashing, I am sorry to hurt you or any one else’s feelings.

Back when I wrestled, there was a team who was a Western PA powerhouse, Shady Side Academy. They even tried to get the Henderson twin’s to come to their school at Hershey their freshman year, right in front of my coaches and I. My honest opinion, is if kids are going to private schools for an education, then fine. I accept that. However, I feel that 75% of the kids transfer to a private school for athletic reasons, whether it’s better practice partners, better recognition, to be teammates with friends, whatever. I find it hard for parents to say they get a better education at BM, for instance, where teachers aren’t required to have a teaching degree to teach or sub there.

My issues with BM & SJCA Wrestling Programs and truthfully any private school in PA is simple. The public school’s success depends on the foundation of an elementary program. You build a feeder program, where the kids then transition to junior high, and then the varsity coach tweaks them into fine running machines. The private schools do not have feeders. BM does not have an elementary program. They do not have a junior high team, yes, there are a few kids (I think two) who wrestled in open junior high tournaments this season. It’s hard enough to get kids out on wrestling teams at public schools. I agree, that this could ruin some programs in the future due to lack of numbers. So I do not feel that it is right for a school principal to send text messages to other parents advising them that there are “scholarships available”, taking kids away from the program that built them. End of story.

In the grand scheme of things, is very few kids in this world will become a David Taylor, Kyle Dake, Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Snyder. Truthfully, I don’t think any of the local kids are at that caliber. Is that bashing these young athletes, absolutely not, and I hope that they prove wrong. But there are a slim percentage of kids who will be elite. Wrestling teaches kids about work ethic, dedication, and forming friendships that will last a lifetime, and when push comes to shove, everyone is apart of a family regardless of the color of their singlet.

In closure, I hope that this clears up some of the contents of my previous posts and that we can be adults and agree to disagree. Thank you, and good luck to every athlete competing this weekend!

Now it’s your turn CrusherSports, who are you hiding behind a username?
Tyler...your opinions are yours and we all enjoy our right to free speech. I wouldn't infringe upon yours or anyone else's.

I'm not mad at your opinions or beliefs. What irritated me was the comments directed towards kids. 14-18 year old young men which I'm sure you wouldn't like if they were directed towards your child or you when you were young. Regardless of how you meant them they were very condescending. Perhaps that's not what or how you meat for it to sound, but as a parent I'm going to protect my son as any parent should.

My son wasn't recruited to go to Bishop McCort. He was very good friendshot with several of the kids there for a number of years. He wrestled with them since he was about six. I work in Johnstown and I got divorced, so we wanted to move and get a fresh start I was looking at Westmont or Bishop McCort. We visited the school and my son loved it. At that time there was no wrestling center as a matter of fact there wasn't even a coach at the time.

I coached high school football for 16 years, served a term on school board and truthfully I never liked private schools, but I also was ignorant to what they even were. I went into it with an open mind. We set-up a visit and my son has always been gifted and a high honors student, so academics were very important we toured every part of the school and checked out all of the programs.

The amount of scholarship money that kids get for college is crazy compared to his old school. The biggest gripe I had with public school was that I didn't feel that it prepared you for life, especially college life. My son gets up irons his clothes, goes to school, goes to practice, goes to lifting, comes home and does homework. He is essentially living a college style of life and preparing for his future now. He is learning valuable time management skills and discipline.

McCort is income based just like college. No one goes for free, we make a lot of sacrifices for him to go there. But it's also an investment in his future, so hopefully it leads to better opportunities down the road.

The principal didn't send a text to anyone. It was sent by an assistant coach. I know McCort is trying to build a feeder system but it's not easy at a parochial school where wrestling is basically non-existent. Will it happen, I don't know the answer to that.

You know Jordan Burroughs was only a one time state champions and was very lightly recruited out of high school. He worked his tail off to become what he is today. So there probably wasn't many folks who thought he'd ever be what he is now while he was in high school. So you truly never know.

I understand people's feelings towards private schools, but the ignorance of it is what bothers me. People assume kids go for free. There are lots of assumptions that are just false. Like I said, I have no problem with anyone's opinion. It makes for good debate, but let's keep the kids out of it. You were a wrestler and I'm sure you worked hard to accomplish everything you did, these kids are no different regardless of where they go to school.

Seen one of your fans at the aaa tournament was he sent on a recruiting trip? Better not offer any more lunches cuz you got a window to pay for at west branch and who knows what he broke at iup...have a good day