AGTU-TUNGTONG TAYO

SAAN TAY KOMA APO NGA AGPIPIN-NERDI. NO ANIA TI PUDNO, ISU TI IBAGA TAYO.

AGTU-TUNGTONG TAYO
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Meridian Journey

This year’s path was different from the past two years of our meridian journey—something that I never planned or imagined, not in my timetable.

Gilla started out as kinder in June 2005. Being a resident of Paranaque, we had to let her live with her Lolo and Lola in Quezon City. As cruel as it may sound, I sent her away—an act which a mother in her normal senses would probably not do. She was barely five years old then and first time to experience school life. It was a hard decision we had to make, one of the most difficult yet courageous one I had in my lifetime. I could still reminisce the drama of the goodbye’s a four year old girl in her fragile spirit had to go through. The delaying tactics of a mother to hide the agony deep within; to conceal the tears and horror hidden through a smile; to appease the soul that is saddened; to let go and let God.

Gilla enjoyed her maiden year in Meridian. Thank God for my parents and sister who had been very supportive in reaching our impossible dream. They made it possible for us to cross our Red Sea, only to realize there is still the Jordan that we need to pass through—an act that would require an even stronger faith.

Came our second year—a time of great testing. My parents, Gilla’s guardians, decided to leave for the US for at least a year. They left in March 2006, a time when only a handful of faith was left on my palm, afraid to lose the meridian dream. That meant leaving my little princess alone in our ancestral home with a nanny during daytime as my sister works full time as a junior officer in a bank. And even if there was my sister, imagine the inconvenience it will cause her—the role of a mother being passed on to a single woman; the pressure of having to go home early to mentor a school girl in her assignments and projects; the responsibility of nurturing an innocent lass without much experience. The possibility was becoming bleak. Oh God, my God I seek your face!

We chose to continue on with the literally difficult route. It was a year living outside our own comfort zones. Gilla remained to live in Quezon City with major modifications in our schedule. We send her off with her Ate Eloi at the MRT station every Monday mornings. From school, they aboard the school bus back to our familial home in QC. Then goes the regular school day routine for the rest of the school week. The Fridays that follow have always been a grand homecoming back to our abode in Paranaque where the rest of my kids await for Gilla, a great yet simple weekend spent with the hobbits in our humble shire.

Gilla graduated from pre-school, gaining real life experience in and out of campus. She got out of her shell ready to move into grade school, despite her petite size is a youngster with inner strength that radiates through her pleasant countenance.

April 2007 came and we were faced with another mountain to climb, tougher than Everest as it meant collapsing the aspiration of being part of the meridian movement. Series of questions thrown at the feet of the Almighty—“what is next?”, “what are our options?”, “where will Gilla stay?” My thoughts were clouded with doubts, uncertainty, questions and possible solutions my mind can offer. I was not willing to let go of the meridian challenge. How Lord? It was the end of the rope, I guess. And that was when God proved His faithfulness once more. What is Everest compared to the Red Sea and the Jordan River? Believe it or not, the first school service in Makati area opened, in such a time as this. It was God’s gift to us indeed, something we do not deserve. But it does not mean an easier course, not at all.
It has been more than six months of strenuous voyage enroute to our rendezvous in Guadalupe via South Super Hiway and Edsa struggling to take a seat in our morning rush bus ride against all types of commuters—men and women, young and old, students and workers. Times of waiting, learning, listening, speaking, singing in the rain, running to beat our call time…sweet moments of just being together, holding hands, seated side by side. Nothing compares, absolutely nothing!

As I look back to Day 1 of our new journey in Meridian, quoting from my June 18 journal:

"God gave us a new journey as we pursue our meridian dream. And as we open this chapter, we are excited for what the Lord has in store for us and what we (especially Gilla) will become out of this adventure.”

God honored my prayer. He even extends the blessing to the whole family as our grown up children appreciate the value of sacrifice and discipline through the example they see in their sister, the girl who never complains and remains cheerful despite all inconvenience.

With barely a quarter left this school year, I can only wait for much more surprises from the God who never failed our forefathers, the same God whom I consider my EVERYTHING. One thing I learn is to live one day at a time enjoying every sunrise, standing