Return to Website

THE "DYLAN: CONTRABAND" BOOTLEG FORUM

WANT TO TALK about Bob?s bootlegs? Wanna know which CD is the unmissable souvenir of your last gig? Got ANY boot question, and don?t know where to turn?

Then THE BOOTLEG FORUM is the place for you!

WITH MOST BD PERFORMANCES being mini-disc?d (some several times over!) and many superb sets coming out on CD and CD-R, how can you find out exactly what?s out there? Simple: you ask!

That's what THE BOOTLEG FORUM?s all about; world-wide information.

IF YOU'RE LOOKING for a particular recording, feel free to say so. However, THE BOOTLEG FORUM isn?t a sale page, so please don?t start offering your priceless collections to the highest bidder. We can?t and won?t knowingly facilitate the sale of any items that might infringe the artist?s copyright.

Oh, and one last thing; this is an open forum. We can?t be surprised if every now and then the forces of officialdom take a quick browse.

So do be careful naming names?

Bob Dylan Webring
[ Join Now Ring Hub Random << Prev Next >> ]

THE Ø "DYLAN: CONTRABAND" Ø BOOTLEG FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Re: WELCOME, & the big question ...

T.J. -

Thanks for your message, and for being the first fan to visit the new Forum!

I hope that Contraband's paid for itself over time, and that you continue to have success at Customs!

Best wishes -

Trevor

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi Trevor,

First of all, this is *the* Dylan message board I've always wanted to find. yay!

Secondly, I wanted to thank you for the wonderful CONTRABAND. I remember first seeing and purchasing it at Helter Skelter in London. I remember being a little concerned at customs, considering the books I had in my backpack included CONTRABAND and Clinton Heylin's BOOTLEG-- it just wouldn't have looked good! I also had no small quantity of bootlegs picked up in Dublin, though I was skeptical of the agent's ability to discern the difference between them and official releases...

anyway, I'll stop by this site frequently. Already the thread on TREE WITH ROOTS is right up my alley...

Replying to:

Hi there, and welcome to THE Ø DYLAN: CONTRABAND Ø BOOTLEG FORUM!

Without doubt, the most asked question since D/C first appeared in 1998 has been “Where can I get bootleg CDs?”. I’ve had e-mails from the US, Canada, Australia, South America and Europe, all with the same query.

Let me start by saying that I'd love to give concrete replies, but unfortunately I can't give out names and addresses. Also, because of where I live, what I have to say applies in the main to the United Kingdom. (However, even as a visitor not knowing the turf, I’ve made some very happy "boot discoveries" in places as diverse as Montreal (Canada), Tucson AZ, NYC, Orlando FLA, and Falmouth way out on Cape Cod. Bit more expensive there than in the UK, but what the heck…)

What I can tell you is that many folks buy their recordings from mail-order companies (and very good they are, particularly for the latest releases). These sellers are relatively easy to find – all you gotta do is get to know a dedicated Dylan fan, then ask who they use. But don’t be too pushy, and don’t do it when you first meet. Very few go the whole way on a first date…

But the mail-order guys aren’t the only source for treasure hunters on the lookout for illicit booty.

You'll be surprised, for example, how many small independent retailers stock "rare" CDs (or, as our American cousins like to call them, "import" discs).

And there are the market and flea-market traders. In the UK, markets take place every day of the week. Many market traders carry no bootlegs at all; others have nothing but, and are a goldmine. These guys often have stocks that mail-order suppliers will tell you have long been deleted. It's just a matter of looking round. But again, the rule has to be “tread softly”.

Add in the dozens of "Record & CD Fairs" that take place across the country every weekend, and you begin to get an idea how the network operates.

I do hope all this is of some help; and, if you’re still hazy, I hope you understand my need for discretion.

Anyway, THE BOOTLEG FORUM is now off and running and open for business. Keep it lively; it’s yours to enjoy!

Best wishes –

Trevor Midgley

Re: Re: Re: WELCOME, & the big question ...

A few comments on the legality of boots.

Ownership is legal in UK, importation of a single copy is specifically authorised. Importation of more than a single copy, copying (other than a single copy for personal use), sale, distribution and advertising is both a civil and a criminal offence, usually pursued by a 'cease and desist' or 'Anton Pillar'order.Incidentally, the BPI is a private company without enforcement powers and any disclosure of information by Customs to them is almost certainly illegal and any subsequent seizure should be resisted.

Europe by and large doesn't give a damn, likewise Japan except for occasional PR- driven 'crackdowns'.

US customs are more proactive and less accommodating, but my understanding is that once a single copy has got through customs

(thank god for the long Canadian border)ownership is ok unless State as opposed to Federal law permits confiscation and , in some circumstances,entry to both commercial and domestic premises.

i believe California is one of the most draconian States, ironically, given it's status as the birthplace of the rock bootleg.

Any comments/corrections, particularly about US situation, welcome.

Writing about boots for the historical record or for the purposes of literary/musicological criticism is legal everywhere unless it crosses the border into specific advertising of the type that used to grace Rolling Stone in the good old days.

Replying to:

T.J. -

Thanks for your message, and for being the first fan to visit the new Forum!

I hope that Contraband's paid for itself over time, and that you continue to have success at Customs!

Best wishes -

Trevor

Replying to:

Hi Trevor,

First of all, this is *the* Dylan message board I've always wanted to find. yay!

Secondly, I wanted to thank you for the wonderful CONTRABAND. I remember first seeing and purchasing it at Helter Skelter in London. I remember being a little concerned at customs, considering the books I had in my backpack included CONTRABAND and Clinton Heylin's BOOTLEG-- it just wouldn't have looked good! I also had no small quantity of bootlegs picked up in Dublin, though I was skeptical of the agent's ability to discern the difference between them and official releases...

anyway, I'll stop by this site frequently. Already the thread on TREE WITH ROOTS is right up my alley...

Replying to:

Hi there, and welcome to THE Ø DYLAN: CONTRABAND Ø BOOTLEG FORUM!

Without doubt, the most asked question since D/C first appeared in 1998 has been “Where can I get bootleg CDs?”. I’ve had e-mails from the US, Canada, Australia, South America and Europe, all with the same query.

Let me start by saying that I'd love to give concrete replies, but unfortunately I can't give out names and addresses. Also, because of where I live, what I have to say applies in the main to the United Kingdom. (However, even as a visitor not knowing the turf, I’ve made some very happy "boot discoveries" in places as diverse as Montreal (Canada), Tucson AZ, NYC, Orlando FLA, and Falmouth way out on Cape Cod. Bit more expensive there than in the UK, but what the heck…)

What I can tell you is that many folks buy their recordings from mail-order companies (and very good they are, particularly for the latest releases). These sellers are relatively easy to find – all you gotta do is get to know a dedicated Dylan fan, then ask who they use. But don’t be too pushy, and don’t do it when you first meet. Very few go the whole way on a first date…

But the mail-order guys aren’t the only source for treasure hunters on the lookout for illicit booty.

You'll be surprised, for example, how many small independent retailers stock "rare" CDs (or, as our American cousins like to call them, "import" discs).

And there are the market and flea-market traders. In the UK, markets take place every day of the week. Many market traders carry no bootlegs at all; others have nothing but, and are a goldmine. These guys often have stocks that mail-order suppliers will tell you have long been deleted. It's just a matter of looking round. But again, the rule has to be “tread softly”.

Add in the dozens of "Record & CD Fairs" that take place across the country every weekend, and you begin to get an idea how the network operates.

I do hope all this is of some help; and, if you’re still hazy, I hope you understand my need for discretion.

Anyway, THE BOOTLEG FORUM is now off and running and open for business. Keep it lively; it’s yours to enjoy!

Best wishes –

Trevor Midgley