Return to Website

THE "DYLAN: CONTRABAND" BOOTLEG FORUM

WANT TO TALK about Bob?s bootlegs? Wanna know which CD is the unmissable souvenir of your last gig? Got ANY boot question, and don?t know where to turn?

Then THE BOOTLEG FORUM is the place for you!

WITH MOST BD PERFORMANCES being mini-disc?d (some several times over!) and many superb sets coming out on CD and CD-R, how can you find out exactly what?s out there? Simple: you ask!

That's what THE BOOTLEG FORUM?s all about; world-wide information.

IF YOU'RE LOOKING for a particular recording, feel free to say so. However, THE BOOTLEG FORUM isn?t a sale page, so please don?t start offering your priceless collections to the highest bidder. We can?t and won?t knowingly facilitate the sale of any items that might infringe the artist?s copyright.

Oh, and one last thing; this is an open forum. We can?t be surprised if every now and then the forces of officialdom take a quick browse.

So do be careful naming names?

Bob Dylan Webring
[ Join Now Ring Hub Random << Prev Next >> ]

THE Ø "DYLAN: CONTRABAND" Ø BOOTLEG FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: question for all

Good question and interesting to see what other people think. If you want a single recording from each period, I highly recommend following titles (I omitted 1966 and 1975, since CBS/Sony have already released great stuff from these periods):

1. The Gaslight Tapes (1962) Great sound and delivery and a must among collectors.

2. Philharmonic Hall, N.Y (1964) "Halloween" concert soon to be released by Columbia.

3. Now Ain´t The Time For Your Tears (1965) Great show from Manchester with exellent sound.

4. Madison Square Garden, N.Y (1974) Difficult to single out one show, but this is a good soundboard and much better than "Before The Flood".

5. Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte (197 One of the best from this period.

6. Born Again Music (1980) A superb one, both performance and sound and one of my all-time favorites.

7. Childs Balloon (1981) An upgrade of "Stadiums Of The Damned" and a fantastic show.

8. Roma Palaeur, Italy (1984) Great sound and a good performance.

9. True Confessions (1986) From the "Hard To Handle" show. Exellent sound and all you need from that tour.

10. Jones Beach (198 This is an amazing recording. Performance and sound is as good as it gets.

Then you have hundreds of shows from "The Never Ending Tour" and to list all worth having would be difficult. But following are the ones I like most:

"Completely Unplugged" (1994)

"Soul" (1996) Berlin, Germany

"Forum, Copenhagen" (199

"Pass Me Not, Oh Gentle Savior" (compilation 1999)

"Paris, Le Zenith" (2000)

Of course, there are a lot more recordings worth mentioning, but my tip is to look for the various compilation albums circulating. They are often of very high quality both in performance and sound.

Good Luck!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hi!

I'm a pretty hardcore collector of Dylan's studio bootlegs, but I've only dug half heartedly into the arena of live discs (of course, when it comes to Dylan, I consider the twenty or so live bootlegs I have of him to be "half hearted" in light of the massive amount availible) so I'd love to hear people post their impressions of their favorite sets here-- I enjoy most all his touring eras, so I'm really interesting in hearing what people see as essential releases from sound/performance/setlist/whathaveyou perspective...

wouldn't hurt to generate some discussion on this board, either!

teej