SWAN BOAT CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD

Please post any announcements, events or comments here. ALL boaters welcome!

SWAN BOAT CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Down by the bow

Greetings all -

On the 22nd, Sandi and I got a call from Rick. Our "new to us" 1975 Pacemaker 40 was sitting at her slip, down by the bow.

Rob, one of our dock mates, noticed the waterline stripe at the front of the boat had nearly disappeared below the water. He stuffed some plastic grocery bags into those thru-hulls he could reach, and sounded the alarm. Rick told me someone was able to get into the boat through the hatch over the V-berth (since I'd locked the cabin), and set up the club's pump in the forward end of the bilge.

I'd like to thank all who were involved, but I don't remember everyone's names! The day sort of devolved into a fog as we worked to get the boat ready to take across the west end of Lake Erie to be hoisted and put on the hard.

Sandi and I also want to thank Rick, our dockmaster extraordinaire, for sharing his expertise and coaching us in the operation of the boat. Mike, another of our dock mates, joined us on those two training outings, and provided additional guidance. I'm a sailor, and came to the Pacemaker after limited outboard experience on a Rhodes 22. Sandi lived aboard a 50' houseboat with twin 454s for several years, but that boat was primarily a dock queen.

My little 25 mile trip yesterday was an interesting experience in continuing the education Rick and Mike began. I'm happy to report that I made the trip without running anyone off the road and without any Mayday (or even any Pan-Pan) calls. I docked to get diesel and again to pump out without incident. Aaron Meinke (of Meinke Marina) gave me an "85" after I mildly fluffed entering the approach for the lift. {sigh}

The bottom line is that the boat is now on the hard at Meinke Marina, where our repair efforts will continue. High on the list is to replace the float switch for the forward bilge pump.

Sandi and I look forward to catching everyone Friday for the next steak-off :)

Thanks again!

Re: Down by the bow

So glad to hear you got the boat safely pulled and repairs are underway.
Best of all, everyone is safe!!!

Thank you for the update!

Re: Down by the bow

I found an avatar that seems appropriate {chuckle}