Return to Website

Explicit Speed Performance

Explicit Speed Performance
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
h22 using d series VSS problem?

so for the h22 in my ed you say i should use a d series VSS (vehicle speed sensor). Will this not throw a code because there will be no electrical signal to the ECU from the VSS?!

Re: h22 using d series VSS problem?

When doing the D series VSS swap into a F/H Series Transmission you are keeping it to what the car was and in your case all EF's Civic's from 88-91 used a mechanical speedo so the ecu doesn't look for it or it may but is re routed so it works. VSS must be working proplerly (seeing mph kmh) in order for Vtec to work on the P13 ecu only. If you get a VSS code then most likely you will need to replace it. The D series VSS will drop right in and mesh up but you will need to make a longer clip out of sheet metal to hold in in. -John

Quote:

"used a mechanical speedo so the ecu doesn't look for it or it may but is re routed so it works."

yes but am i using a pm5/6 ecu?! i think not... if i am using the stock P13 ecu then it will definitely be looking for that VSS electrical signal and it wont be there... do you see what im saying??

Trust me you will be fine... I run the stock 88-91 Civic D series speedo VSS unit (mechanical) with no issues on both the p13 ecu and my p28 ecu that is in it now. Everything works perfect. Just need to make a longer clip for the smaller unit.

alrighty, haha, thanks for the replies! i should be done in a couple weeks! we will see what happens.
big fan of your mounts, traction bar, and brackets! i think your hydro to cable clutch brackets are wayy nicer than hasports. anyways, off topic! have a good day.

Sounds good, yes the clutch cable/hydro conversion lever system is by far a better system then whats out there on the market today...

- Less stress on the cable itself
- Just the right ratio so even a stage 3 clutch feels like it takes the same amount of pressure in engagement as a stock EF clutch...

It's pretty crazy because I can shift quicker then the engine will allow me so it seems almost as if it was an automatic haha

oh really? i duno about the stage 3 thing.. i have a stage 4 competition clutch kit and the pedal is freakin stiff.. haha... its all good though. cable shifter also helps with shifting i think... longer shift throw but smoother shifting i believe.