Shettleston History Project

Shettleston History Project
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for long lost friends........Does anyone know me?

Hi Everyone,

I was born in Bellview Cottage, 1233 Shettleston Road and lived there with my Grandmother and Grandfather Mr and Mrs Deazeley. My grabdmother was the local midwife for almost 50 years and my grandfather was a winding engineman at Cardowan Colliery.

I lived there with my mother and sister until the end of the WW2. My father returned from WW2 having been blinded during the war and we moved to 40 Old Shettleston Road where we lived until I was around 10 years old.

At this point we moved away but later returned to live at No.1 Strowan Crescent, Sandyhills.
My father and mother were Mrs Catherine MacKenzie and Alexander (Sandy) MacKenzie. My Sister was Anne MacKenzie.

I frequented Eastbank Church Youth Fellowship and was friendly with Jimmy and Robin Williamson and George Welsh. It was there I met my wife to be Jeanette McHoul who lived in Glenalmond Steet, Sandyhills.

When Jeanette and I married we bought a flat in York Terrace (1732 Shettleston Road) and lived there for 4 years before moving north to Nairn.

I was a TV engineer and served my apprenticeship with a Shettleston Company called G.R.Buchanan before moving to a job with James Scott and Company, 175 St Vincent Street.

Sadly, my wife Jeanette died 16 Sept 2009 just 3 months from our Golden Wedding Anniversary.

My name is Alex MacKenzie and I would be absolutely delighted to hear from anyone who knew me or my family.

Thank you for taking time to read this.

Kind regards to all and lang may yer lumb reek

Alex

Re: Looking for long lost friends........Does anyone know me?

You will find a lot of discussion by Shettleston people on the Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards website here:

http://discuss.glasgowguide.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7964&hl=shettleston

Regards,