SERIOUS FANS OLD/NEW FORUM IS BACK

This was the original Serious Fan forum -
 just brought up to date a bit.

If you have any thoughts about anything on the page - or general messages, then please post here.

SERIOUS FANS OLD/NEW FORUM IS BACK
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transcript of Interview

Rock of ages takes on devil's music

Reporter: Mick Bunworth

MICK BUNWORTH: It's a Sunday night on the outskirts of Melbourne and inside this modest weatherboard hall Australia's latest international rock stars are warming up before a homecoming concert.

Tonight's concert will close a Christian youth rally, no surprise, really, considering the Memphis-based Paul Colman Trio are rapidly becoming superstars on the burgeoning Christian music circuit in the US.

Not only that, they've just been nominated for a Grammy, the US music industry's highest honour.

The nomination in the pop contemporary gospel category might just help the band cross over into the mainstream.

But tonight their loyal Australian fans are just glad they're home.

FAN: It's just great they're here tonight.

We knew this was their one performance for Victoria, and it didn't matter where they were going to be in Victoria, we were going to it while they're here.

FAN: Spewing that they're not doing more gigs while while they're here this time -- PAUL COLMAN: And it wasn't a conscious, "Oh, let's make Christian music, hey.

Kumbiyah, my Lord, Kumbiyah."

It wasn't, "Oh, what'll we start with?

Oh, that'll be it - 'Amazing Grace'."

It wasn't.

It just happened to be that the lyrics that I wrote were set against the backdrop of a faith, of the fact that God made the universe.

(Sings) * I play this game for life and living * So hold me, yeah.

* Light a candle in the window pane tonight *

MICK BUNWORTH: The Christian music scene accounts for more than 6 per cent of all record sales in the US and rakes in more than $920 million a year.

GRANT NORSWORTHY: It's a massive scene.

I mean, it's bigger than the entire Australian music scene over there in America, and there's amazing infrastructure - radio stations, TV stations, magazines totally dedicated to Christian music.

It's a very big culture.

PHIL GAUDION: Some of the festivals that they have over the summer, really large audiences - around 50,000 to 80,000 people sometimes.

And I think we actually played a couple of those size audiences, which was - it's huge.

Unheard of, really, over here.

MICK BUNWORTH: Buoyed by the Grammy nomination, the band are now keen to break out of what they refer to as the "Christian music ghetto".

PAUL COLMAN: We don't like Christian music that sounds like the music is just there so the message can get through.

And I don't think people in the general community respect that at all, and I think that's the perception often of Christian music.

I think the music has to be good, too.

I think you need to be able to take off the lyric and it still sounds good.

(Sings) * Sometimes you've got to say things that don't come easy.

* MICK BUNWORTH: Despite their success in the US, the Paul Colman Trio are yet to receive mainstream radio airplay there or in Australia.

But radio programmer Brian Ford says that's not surprising and the band needs support from a mainstream record company if it's to cross over.

BRIAN FORD, FOX FM PROGRAMMER: I think with any artist it's about what song they release and how good the song is, and you've got to say that people like Kasey Chambers from the country music scene is a perfect example of that - like great songs, right marketing.

I think you do need - in any country, I think you do need a bit of a machine behind what happens.

GRANT NORSWORTHY: America has definitely labelled us as a Christian band and this Grammy nomination shows that.

However, in America, a lot of acts - I mean, POD, Lifehouse and what's going on with the U2 thing - it's acceptable when it's real and when it's delivered with professionalism and great music.

DAVID JACQUES, ROAD MANAGER: I can't see them sort of being a one-hit wonder and sort of sparkling and fading.

It's not their style.

I think I'm going to be in it for the long haul.

I enjoy working with them.

They're good guys offstage as well, which helps - having musicians that aren't rock stars.

MICK BUNWORTH: They may not act like rock stars, but the Paul Colman Trio are about to rub shoulders with some at the Grammy awards.

But even the prospect of meeting the bad boys of modern music doesn't seem to phase them.

PAUL COLMAN: I think if you walk into the Grammys saying, "You know, I believe Jesus is alive, And I don't believe it's just every road leads to Rome.

I believe that he's the way, the truth and the life and no-one comes to the Father but by him". Don't you think that's pretty controversial?

I personally think it's more controversial than anything Eminem's got to say.

Transcripts on this website are created by an independent transcription service. The ABC does not warrant the accuracy of the transcripts.

Re: Transcript of Interview

"I play this game for life and living "

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Rock of ages takes on devil's music

Reporter: Mick Bunworth

MICK BUNWORTH: It's a Sunday night on the outskirts of Melbourne and inside this modest weatherboard hall Australia's latest international rock stars are warming up before a homecoming concert.

Tonight's concert will close a Christian youth rally, no surprise, really, considering the Memphis-based Paul Colman Trio are rapidly becoming superstars on the burgeoning Christian music circuit in the US.

Not only that, they've just been nominated for a Grammy, the US music industry's highest honour.

The nomination in the pop contemporary gospel category might just help the band cross over into the mainstream.

But tonight their loyal Australian fans are just glad they're home.

FAN: It's just great they're here tonight.

We knew this was their one performance for Victoria, and it didn't matter where they were going to be in Victoria, we were going to it while they're here.

FAN: Spewing that they're not doing more gigs while while they're here this time -- PAUL COLMAN: And it wasn't a conscious, "Oh, let's make Christian music, hey.

Kumbiyah, my Lord, Kumbiyah."

It wasn't, "Oh, what'll we start with?

Oh, that'll be it - 'Amazing Grace'."

It wasn't.

It just happened to be that the lyrics that I wrote were set against the backdrop of a faith, of the fact that God made the universe.

(Sings) * I play this game for life and living * So hold me, yeah.

* Light a candle in the window pane tonight *

MICK BUNWORTH: The Christian music scene accounts for more than 6 per cent of all record sales in the US and rakes in more than $920 million a year.

GRANT NORSWORTHY: It's a massive scene.

I mean, it's bigger than the entire Australian music scene over there in America, and there's amazing infrastructure - radio stations, TV stations, magazines totally dedicated to Christian music.

It's a very big culture.

PHIL GAUDION: Some of the festivals that they have over the summer, really large audiences - around 50,000 to 80,000 people sometimes.

And I think we actually played a couple of those size audiences, which was - it's huge.

Unheard of, really, over here.

MICK BUNWORTH: Buoyed by the Grammy nomination, the band are now keen to break out of what they refer to as the "Christian music ghetto".

PAUL COLMAN: We don't like Christian music that sounds like the music is just there so the message can get through.

And I don't think people in the general community respect that at all, and I think that's the perception often of Christian music.

I think the music has to be good, too.

I think you need to be able to take off the lyric and it still sounds good.

(Sings) * Sometimes you've got to say things that don't come easy.

* MICK BUNWORTH: Despite their success in the US, the Paul Colman Trio are yet to receive mainstream radio airplay there or in Australia.

But radio programmer Brian Ford says that's not surprising and the band needs support from a mainstream record company if it's to cross over.

BRIAN FORD, FOX FM PROGRAMMER: I think with any artist it's about what song they release and how good the song is, and you've got to say that people like Kasey Chambers from the country music scene is a perfect example of that - like great songs, right marketing.

I think you do need - in any country, I think you do need a bit of a machine behind what happens.

GRANT NORSWORTHY: America has definitely labelled us as a Christian band and this Grammy nomination shows that.

However, in America, a lot of acts - I mean, POD, Lifehouse and what's going on with the U2 thing - it's acceptable when it's real and when it's delivered with professionalism and great music.

DAVID JACQUES, ROAD MANAGER: I can't see them sort of being a one-hit wonder and sort of sparkling and fading.

It's not their style.

I think I'm going to be in it for the long haul.

I enjoy working with them.

They're good guys offstage as well, which helps - having musicians that aren't rock stars.

MICK BUNWORTH: They may not act like rock stars, but the Paul Colman Trio are about to rub shoulders with some at the Grammy awards.

But even the prospect of meeting the bad boys of modern music doesn't seem to phase them.

PAUL COLMAN: I think if you walk into the Grammys saying, "You know, I believe Jesus is alive, And I don't believe it's just every road leads to Rome.

I believe that he's the way, the truth and the life and no-one comes to the Father but by him". Don't you think that's pretty controversial?

I personally think it's more controversial than anything Eminem's got to say.

Transcripts on this website are created by an independent transcription service. The ABC does not warrant the accuracy of the transcripts.