General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Birthday celebration

When I first moved to Nashville and started getting backstage passes to the Grand Ole Opry, Connie Smith was one of the big female stars. She was also very spiritual as well as a beautiful woman and a gifted singer.
She liked to end her Opry 'set' with a Gospel Tune and not only that, she would do a small testimonial between her last two songs.
Connie was told by the Powers-That-Be not to do that anymore because the audience would think that the Opry was a Gospel Show and not a Country Show.

On her Christmas set, Connie sang two very Country Songs. Just before her last song she said, "I've been told that I 'preach' too much between songs and I've promised not to do that tonight." Then she said, "I would like to dedicate this song to a friend of mine who is having a Birthday next week." Then Connie Smith proceeded to sing acapella:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JESUS
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU

A True, true story...I was there in the wings of the Opry Stage with some of my friends...

Re: Birthday celebration

I love it, Connie has always been one of our favorite singers. I beleive that she could pull that off. We've been fortunate enough to see her several times lately via the preservation of some real old TV shows, particularly the Wilburn Brothers and Pop goes the Country with ol' Ralph. Really do enjoy her singing. Of course on these shows she was a very young lady. OBTW Karen thanks so much.

Horace