General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Remember this?

I thought I was the only one that listened to WLAC late night. I thought that was the most mournful music I'd ever heard, but it was fascinating somehow. Nothing like Carl Smith and Little Jimmy Dickens for sure. Cubby, I told Bob Green about your recordings of radio jingles. Bob has probably the largest and most complete collection of r&b, motown, surf and bubblegum music in the world. He would like to get a copy of these jingles if it's possible. If it's feasible, let me know. The song dedications on WLAC always seemed pretty much the same: "This goes out to Tyrone Swain, Booker T. Swain, Inella Cook and all the cool cats of Cincinatti." I learned a lot of blues guitar riffs off of that program. I still use them when playing blues. I played the theme music for a Bonnie and Clyde documentary by Dallas public TV. I just played mostly WLAC riffs I learned as a kid, and it all seemed to work. In composing theme music, you try to do something that fits the mood of the show. I tried to express desperation, and I think I pretty much did. Stevie Ray Vaughn was, I think, the best blues guitarist that ever lived. Too bad he just didn't live long enough.

Re: Re: Re: Remember this?

Pete, are you coming to Lloyds Saturday for lunch with the Comer gang?
If I don't go out of town, I'm planning on being there and I could bring the copies of the jingle CDs.
------------------------------------------------------
Remember John R's theme song. "Hey John R. whatcha gonna do, come on John R. man and play me some blues!"

Gene Nobles theme song was "After Midnight" by Dizzy Gillespie(instrumental).

Hossman Allen's theme song was "Walking with Mr. Lee"
(Instrumental)

I don't remember what Big Hugh Baby's was. (He's the only one still alive).

And who could forget 'Cohort 6&7/8ths' (Ape call)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Remember this?

Well, I finally pulled it up from the catacombs of my subliminal brain.

Big Hugh Baby's theme song was "Topsy part II" by Cozy Cole.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Remember this?

I'm planning on being at Lloyd's. Sure I remember all those tunes. I've had to play country music all my life, but I'm really jazz and blues at heart. There's still a lot I want to do musically and if I get it done, I might better hurry. I could run out of time. Looking forward to seeing all of you at Lloyd's.

Re: Remember this?

Cubby, I'd love to have a copy of those WYDE and WSGN jingles. I'll pay you for your trouble if you can make a dub for me. Whatever you think it would be worth to you. I am a collector of radio memorabilia, books, antique radios, microphones anything to do with radio NOT TV.

Horace

Re: Remember this?

By the way Jimmy that Jack's jingle is fantastic.

Horace

Pete. I'm ES, Paul and Trish's Nephew. I wrote some songs and lived in Nashville. Some were Country and some weren't. I'd like to hear some of your music. I play three chords on a guitar but am not very good. I know some music theory, but my finger dexterity isn't great and I have trouble with bar chords because my left hand has had a bunch of broken finger bones. I still like my music though...Would also like to hear about your musical background...Lathan

I agree. I got the original link to "Birmingham Rewound" from Cubby, I think, and after hearing the jingle, I emailed the guy who created the site. He's a really nice guy, easy to talk with, and he's a FREAK about Birmingham "stuff," including radio. Check it out. Just Google "Birmingham Rewound." I was disappointed when he told me the only copy of the original jingle --- with the words "for fifteen cents" --- was almost unintelligible. My kids did love the commercial AND the hamburgers, though, and hearing it NOW just makes me smile!

Jimmy

Re: Re: Re: Remember this?

Just checked it out Jimmy, and sent hollis the Joe Rumore postcards I had. Hope I hear from him. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Remember this?

You will. Neat guy!

Horace, tried to send you an email but it did not go through. Send me your mailing address and I will send you a copy of the WYDE and WGSN jingles.
My email address is: dculbers@uabmc.edu