General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Supper time" by the singing governor Jimmy Davis

I remember very well. Marilyn and I saw him in person when he was 95 years of age. He did all of the good ones like a Pro. We went to see the Chuck Wagon Gang and he was a surprise bonus. He was married to one of the original members of the Gang. Not Sister Rose, but Ann, I believe, was her name. When he did "You are my sunshine", the place almost came down.

Re: Re: "Supper time" by the singing governor Jimmy Davis

One of my best friends and Co-writers in Nashville, Red Lane, is from Bogalusa (sp), Louisiana. Red owns the Cadillac that Jimmy Davis used to own. It was a 55 Caddy and had 10,000 original miles. Red keeps it (if he still has it) under the wing of the airplane he lives in. Red and Jimmy Davis have co-written songs together. That's pretty neat (at least to me it is...)

There is an old movie.. I think it is called "The Jimmmy Davis Story" He plays in it. I loved it and would love to get my hands on it...It shows how he and a friend rigged a radio broadcast one night so the signal would go further. Not sure I believe their theory but Jimmy was on the air and his fried was out with a garden hose watering down the ground radials that run out from the AM antenna. They do really determine, as much as anything else, the signal strength but I've never notice that an AM signal travels further in the rain than on a dry day. So I am not convinced of that part of it but it was a terrific, sentimental and if you are a lover of radio, romantic. I gotta check out Amazon.com to see if the have it. He was the greatest as a singer, don't know about his governance, not sure anybody could help Louisiana.

Horace

I just went out to Ebay and searched for Jimmie Davis. The Jimmie Davis Story on VHS is there for a bid of $8.98. It has 5 days left on the auction. I could bid on it, but I don't want to get in a bidding war with someone on the forum if they really want it.

Thanks Cub maybe I'll check it out...not too crazy about ebay but I have bought a couple of things in the past. My daughter inlaw got stung for over $300 just before Christmas, fortunately Pay Pal made it good.

Horace

Horace, I've been there since their beginning, and I've lost a total of $13 on eBay. AND...the guy who stung me and about fifty other people found out what "retribution" means: We got the USPS into the act and that sucker ended up in prison. Actually, the fun of being part of the "angry, self-righteous mob" was worth losing the thirteen bucks, too!

Re: Re: Re: "Supper time" by the singing governor Jimmy Davis

I've bought only one thing off e-bay, a projector, but had no problem. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: "Supper time" by the singing governor Jimmy Davis

I know I've told this before, but I bought a car off eBay, then flew to Phoenix, paid for and picked it up, and drove back, Still driving it, too. Great car!

Oh....and, no, Lathan, my arms did NOT get tired!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Supper time" by the singing governor Jimmy Davis

Thanks for screwing up my Punch Line...lrl

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Supper time" by the singing governor Jimmy Davis

Ah, well, you're SO predictable, what can I say?

...hmmmm...come to think of it, I do believe that's what CATHY said!

HAR! HAR! HAR!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Supper time" by the singing governor Jimmy Davis

Kathy spells her name with a "K" but sometimes I pronounce it with a "C" just to confuse her...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Supper time" by the singing governor Jimmy Davis

Now Lathan don't confuse me. After all these years of calling her Kathy you told me she prefers Katie.
Zona

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: "Supper time" by the singing governor Jimmy Davis

Kinda reminds me of my wife --- always trying to be different. I keep telling her that hers should PROPERLY be spelled "WEINER," but all I get is "The Squarehead Fisheye."