General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Pig leaving town

Jan, It is good to see you dropping by and sharing. You must do it more often. ES had us all make a New Year's resolution that we were to try and say something on the board every day....even if it was "hi". Want to join the party?
Good morning everyone!
Who all is going to be watching the Super Bowl and who are you rooting for? We are pulling for the Seahawks.

Lathan

Lathan, John Prine was the first singer/songwriter to be interviewed and perform at the Library of Congress.
Link below will get you to the interview if you are interested. Go to the page, go down to March 9.
Ted Kooser is interviewing him...he's the Poet Laureate.
http://www.johnprine.net/exclusives.html

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pig leaving town

Gonna watch the game, Karen, but gonna be rooting for the Steelers.

Actually, Jan I know more famous people than Lather does --- it's just that not many of them know ME!

HAR! HAR! HAR!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pig leaving town

Just to let you in on a secret - not many of them remember me.
I'm working on a song right now that kinda gives my secret away. Here are the lyrics to the first verse. The song is called:
WE STILL LOVE OLD TOM T. HALL

WE STILL LOVE OLD TOM T. HALL IN OUR HOMETOWN
I HEAR HE'S WRITING BOOKS/
THEY SAY HE LAID HIS GUITAR DOWN
I MET HIM ONCE - HE SHOOK MY HAND -
TOM T's A FRIEND OF MINE
WISH I HAD HIS RECIPE FOR WATERMELON WINE
I'D GIVE HIM FORTY DOLLARS IF HE'D COME ON BACK AROUND
WE STILL LOVE OLD TOM T. HALL IN OUR HOMETOWN...
BTW, We sure got away from Pig Leaving Town, didn't we?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pig leaving town

My memories of the "Pig" go back to the times before it was The Pig...

In 1942 I remember going by there on Saturday nights after we had closed the Ritz and have a hamburger steak..One that covered the plate cost eighty-five cents and with tax and coffee only came to about a buck..

Mr Smith owned the place at the time and it was called the Home Plate...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pig leaving town

Hey, Fogey. C'mon out to San Antone sometime and we'll go down to the Jailhouse Cafe. They gotta chicken-fried steak down there that hangs off a platter all the way around.

As I recall, though, it costs a little MORE than a buck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pig leaving town

Hey! I might make the trip with Old Fogey, That steak sounds good to me, that is if it comes with mashed taters and lard gravy. Jimmy, hope y'all get to come by the camp this summer and us go to EZELLS and eat up on some fried dill pickles and fish.
I wish I could sit down with Old Fogey and pick his brain about old times, I could get a world of information about when Sylacauga and Mignon was in the early stages. Bet y'all didn't know my Grand Daddy S.M. Cast once owned Busy Corner. Yep, he did. Swapped it for ten acres at the end of twin st. where we all lived. He was a wheeler dealer in his time.
I want the Seahawks to win but I got a feeling they won't, too much Bettis and crew. Hope Shawn shows out, then maybe they'll have a chance. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pig leaving town

Seahawks 31
Steelers 24

The All-knowing, All-Seeing, Sight-Seer, Sooth-sayer and former Ceramic Shop Owner & Volkswagen Mechanic has spoken