Return to Website

Tattoo Club of Great Britain

All Studio Vacancies, or professional Tattoo Artists looking for work should post here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tcgb/  

Forum: Tattoo Club of Great Britain
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
dennis cockell

anyone know whatever happend to dennis cockell?

Where are you located? london

Re: dennis cockell

I last saw the master when he moved from Edgware,to west hampstead,in fact I help him build the studio,he did not stay there very long,he sold up and went to the states for a tour of tattooing.thats the last I saw of him.I also would like to catch up with him,he taught me so much,I still have one of his old machines still running sweet as a nut. I still think he was one of the founding fathers of english tattooing,a great man.

Where are you located? cambs

kevin , did you ever get tattoed by dennis cockell.

yes Richard.I have both of my arms full of Dennis's tatt's,did you know Dennis or just know of him?all the best kev.

Where are you located? cambs

I last saw Den in West Hampstead too when he did a couple of tattoos on my shoulders. We met for a drink a few months afterwards and he told me he was going to LA and would keep in touch but I never heard from him again.

As I live between the US & UK now I've tried looking him up several times but can't seem to find him. If anyone has any news, get him to drop me a line.

Knew/knows me as JD

Cheers

Where are you located? UK & US

Hi guys,
also last saw Dennis in West Hampstead. He did majority of my tats, both sleeves, chest panels, full back piece and leg.

Where are you located? Greenwich

Richard,
I think I remember you.
Did you move to Hastings?

If it is you, we shared a fwe beers and a Manowar gig..lol

Where are you located? Greenwich

Hey guys. My name is Tommy Maguire. I'm a friend of Dennis Cockell. Last I heard from him was when he and Brian Setzer called me on Dennis' mobile after a Setzer gig in Switzerland this past July (2005). He told me that he was doing a lot of tattooing in Switzerland these days. I have no idea why he left the shop in Walkers Court back in the early 1990s. Those were some amazing days! His time previous to that on the Finchley Road were the stuff of legend. In any case, the mysterious Mr. Cockell is travelling the world, apparently in good health. Beautiful guy that Dennis, one of a kind!
Go Kat Go!
Tommy Maguire
BrianSetzer.com

Where are you located? Philly USA

Hi all. I am another person who is looking for Dennis. last I saw of him he was at my wedding in 1997. when I was in the band (Zodiac Mindwarp, then the Cult) I would show up around closing time on Finchley road, late 85 early 86> Post tattoo and burger and beers he'd let me sleep in the back room if I had nowhere else to go. I was only 18 at the time. Dennis where are you now?
Stephen.

Where are you located? new york city

Haggis!
Dennis used to talk about you all the time, mate. I remember that record sleeve wear he's tattooing a huge black cross on (is it?) your chest. Nice one. I'll call Dennis and read him your post. Cheers.

Email me if you'd like.

Best,
Tommy Maguire
Philadelphia USA

Re: Re: dennis cockell

hi there everyone i am also trying to locate dennis he started a complete back piece for me in the late 1990s but i went away for a little while when i came back he had gone anyone with any ideas please contacy me i would love to finish my back i don't want any body but dennis to finish it

Where are you located? essex

I take it that it is the Same Mr Haggis that signed my copy of The Four Horsemen?
By the way hi Tommy.

Where are you located? Devon . England

yeah, cheers Mark.

Where are you located? Phily USA

Haggis,
You had a pair of wings done on your back by Dennis if I remember.

Tommy,
The cross chest piece was done on Zodiac (Mark) for a single cover. Give Dennis my regards too. Tell him Ian from Trojan, he'll remember

Where are you located? London

That's right. Has anyone actually talked to Dennis yet? Tommy? Hope all is well.

Where are you located? nyc

Is there anyone there who has actually spoken with Den in the last year. I laid the Flooring at Walkers Court & Charing x studios,what a guy, would'nt have had my tats done by anyone else. How Ya doin Haggis I was with Dennis at Your wedding some 11 years ago - the search goes on

Where are you located? north london

Not spoken to Dennis since last Christmas (2006). I did send him a load of Brian Setzer/Stray Cats advance CDs and DVDs recently. Hope he's at the same address. He's a diamond geezer, miss him like mad. Nobody cooler than the great Dennis Cockell!
Cheers from Philly USA,
Tommy Maguire
http://www.myspace.com/tommymaguire

Where are you located? PHILLY USA

Nice one Tommy, Your not Wrong there. Whats the Football (soccer) scene like in Philly ? I have been Coaching on & off in Manhattan, Boston & Michigan during the last 7 years.

Football? We have the Eagles. The coach (some fat geezer named Andy Reid) has 2 kids who's drug busts are in the papers more than Reid's lacklustre team.

Where are you located? PHILLY USA

last i heard dennis has retired to the south coast somewhere.

hi there south coast where england or the usa
any info would be greatly received
its that i have a tattoo done from him a long time ago fall back and it needs the colouring finshed and i would love him to finsh it or do you no anyone that will do it for me in his style japanese
thanks simon
full respect to dennis

south coast in england.but as i said.i think he has retired.

Hey lads,
I called the number I have for Dennis last night and sadly, it seems that he's moved and given no forwarding address or info. First time since March 1990 that I'm totally out of touch with him. In any case, I hope my old friend is doing well.

Merry Christmas,
Tommy

happy xmas to all as well keep rocking

Where are you located? england essex

Yeah nice one - Happy Christmas to Everyone - keep looking !

This was done while I was stationed at the US Embassy sometime between 78 and 80. I met Brian Setzer in the studio on Finchley Rd one afternoon, actually he was on his way out, I was on my way in.

http://www.paolayharry.com/tat2.htm

THe pix are me having it reinked.

Dennis did my eagles in one sitting...took a smoke break or two, but that was about it. They covered up some earlier pitiful work...and I liked the old school flash at the time.

Great guy, he's in a couple of books I have, and I"ve often wondered where he's gotten off too.

Kind Regards,
Harry

Where are you located? San Diego

where is your studio

i must be the only person who didn't like dennis cockell, he done a cover up on me in 85 at the finchley rd studio, it was a big black splodge eagle, far worse than the design it covered. i found cockell very rude & abrupt. he went in to deep & scarred me & it took another 19 years of fading his bad tattoo for me to get it properly reworked.

Where are you located? kent

Nice of you to share these happy memories,Al.

Calling Dennis Cockell "rude" is like calling Robbie Williams a rocker. Ya gotta be kiddin'.

Hello Al. If you follow the line of communication amongst our previous postings over the last few years you'll see that we're all old friends and/or ex-customers of Dennis who have a great fondness and respect for him, as well as a concern for his current whereabouts and well-being. Whereas I am sure that not everyone Dennis tattooed was as happy as we all are with the results, and, yes, it is a free world and we all commend freedom of speech, this is probably not the best place to put down a man legendary amongst the tattoo world for not only his work, but also his extraordinary hospitality. I am sorry you consider your time with Dennis a bad experience, but here you are amongst his family.

Where are you located? NYC

Al, whatever you've been taking lately... Stop!

Dennis Cockell = Legend

A man who im proud to say is a true friend and a great bloke.

hi everyone what can i say about al's comment i can't understand it, i as a customer and then a very good friend of dennis would and did sit in his soho studio for many hrs watching him work and having work done on myself, i have never heard him have a rude word to say about anyone even when you would get a roudy bunch of blokes comimg in the studio, at a particular time i hadnt known him very long just as a customer i went to the studio to have some work finished and previously on a sitting we was talking about boxing which he is a great fan of & myself, he had put it upon himself to go out and purchase an extremely expensive book on boxing and presented it to me as a gift would more can i say...happy easter to everyone

Where are you located? romford essex

I had the the honour of being tattooed by Dennis at every studio he worked over the years and he became a person i would happily call a good friend. This man certainly isn't rude, one of the friendliest people you could hope to meet in any walk of life, in all honesty, i don't know if i would have got so many tattoo's if it had been someone else doing it.The whole thing of being tattooed, having a great conversation and and ending up with a cool piece of work always made for a great day out.
As for now, i go to Kev Angell in Stanmore as he was trained by Dennis and worked with him at Finchley Rd,Walikers Court, and, of course,Stanmore. I don't think dennis is on the South Coast, but someone else he trained at Walkers Court, Steve, apparently is.
Yeah,the Walkers Court days are legendary but i don't think dennis could have done that much longer than he did as he was so busy all the time and i think it took a lot out of him.
Anyhow, wherever he is, you know he's gonna be rockin'!

i worked with dennis in soho for 3 years.i never saw or found him to be rude to anyone.those days in tattooing was the best.a lot of great characters in tattooing in those days.he always kept his home life very private and i suppose thats what he is doing now.

i had a tattoo done by dennis cockell in 1990 i found him to be very friendly and helpful i brought many of my friends to his studio and he was always alright

Dennis popped my tattoo "cherry" in 1985 in Finchley Rd. He was a gregarious, friendly and genuinely interested bloke and I continued to return again and again before losing touch in the Walkers Court days @ 1990/91. Next time I went back he'd gone. I have extensive work by Dennis which still gets commented upon to this day, 23 years since the first needle went in. Since then only Lal Hardy has had a needle in me but I'd love to know that Dennis is alive and well and happy. Keep searching guys, Dennis is a legend. Respect.

Where are you located? Watford

Hey Stan,
Spoke to Dennis last week. He's alive and well and tells me that he's going to allow me to interview him for my website, "BrianSetzer.com".

Cheers,
Tommy

I just found some pictures of tattooing by Dennis Cockell.

Will scan some on our new forum

http://tattoonews.co.uk/index.php?/forums/

Lionel

Where are you located? Oxford

Great news Tommy, please give Dennis all our best regards. I doubt he'll remember me after all this time, but he knew me as Tris. Did many dragons on me and a full chest "ronin" scene with waterfalls and carp....very painful but unique! I'll check out the website for the feature!
Rock on!

Where are you located? Watford

I'll print this whole thead out and post it to Dennis tomorrow.
Cheers,
Tommy

Ask Dennis to drop me an email, would be good to get in touch again.

Lionel

Where are you located? Oxford

great news tommy, tell the great man i said hello and if you need some pictures of my tatts done by dennis let me know. "rock on everyone"
simon

http:www.denniscockell.com

COMING SOON!

Nice One Tommy, hopefully I might see The Great Man at Brixton Academy on the 10th if He's back in London

Where are you located? crouch end, north london

He'll be there mate! I just spoke to him about it. See ya at the Academy. Gonna be a top night!

Unbelievable, Can't wait Tommy. Looking forward to meeting up.

hi there say hello to dennis from me simon who used to run the electrical shop in soho.
can't wait for the web site

Simon, He took Me into the Electrical shop a few times when We were working on the Flooring at walkers court & His next studio at Charring x so I believe I have met You a couple of times, I'll definately pass on Your regards to Him ( might come as a bit of a SHOCK ! )

thanks very much, i supplied his UV LIGHTING and bits and bobs over the years and i friend of mine made the lettering for the big sign thats outside the walkers court studio and i believe is still there today, anyway do mention me to the great man keep rockin.
simon

this message is to haggis just sorting through some of my old tapes and found the four horsemen nobody said it was easy album, i have realised that you was or are still in this band,dennis gave me a copy when you was playing here (GB i think the astoria) i want to say it sounds fantastic a reel hidden gem, but where can a get a cd copy from i hope you still get messages fowarded. keep rockin
simon

Your not wrong there Simon, what a Great Album - Rockin is My Busines, Busines is Good !

Dennis tattooed me in 1988 in his Soho Study then kindly pointed me in the direction of the night bus.
The tattoo hasn't aged well but he is rightly recognised as a legend of british tattooing

Where are you located? Wales

got my early tattoos at dennises at 265a finchley road,taxi office next door if i remember always friendly often sent me for tea and rolls a few doors down alwaysliked to talk about other tattooists as got a varied amount by different people

Where are you located? stranraer

dennis did my first tat at finchley road he was very polite put me at ease told me what parts would hurt the most i was 19 then and wanted to find some time later to get more but he had moved i tracked him down again but he had just moved again but have just seen that thier is a dennis cockell site due 2009 hopfully be able to get original to reink me as after 26yrs its faded. total gentleman

Where are you located? se london

tommy m, whats the latest ?

Hello All. Simon, Four Horsemen album best located on ebay at this point. There is an amazing DVD/Cd compilation set available through www.thefourhorsemen.com that I highly recommend. Dennis, where are you mate? You are sorely missed. Looking forward to the website. Best, Stephen (Haggis)

thanks haggis i will give ebay a try
keep rockin, simon

Dennis was supposed to ring me in January. Not heard from him yet unfortunately. I'll keep you guys posted.

Four Horsemen ROOLE!

Good to hear your voice Tommy (so to speak). Let me know if Dennis shows up.
Hope you're doing well yourself. Best, Stephen.

I spent alot of the late 80s early 90s with Dennis losing touch with Him when I left the UK in 98, definatly one of the coolest Guys I ever ran into & certainly one of the most Generous. If Your out there get in touch - The Kid 'Roman'

Where are you located? North London

dennis is the man
hurry and get that web site up and running
keep rockin everyone
best regards simon

I'd be happy to get rollin' on Dennis' site. He was supposed to call me in January, but I've not heard anything from him since Christmas.

-TM

never mind
good things you have to wait for
i will keep my eye out
thanks simon

Was Hoping to See The Great Man when The 'cats' played Brixton last Year, c'mon Dennis The suspense is Killing - The 'Kid' Roman

Where are you located? North London

Hey i had a meeting with dennis today.. he's now a private tattooist! he's doing mostly home visits.

Anand

I received a letter from Dennis yesterday and a request to change what is written on the front page of his under construction website. Have a look.... http://www/denniscockell.com

hi there i would like to get a message to dennis would it be possible for you to pass it on thanks simon

Where are you located? romford

Sure Simon, email me: tommymaguire @ comcast.net

Haggis, you probably don't remember me but Dennis introduced us to each other in Walkers Court, we went for a beer in the Intrepid Fox Soho, you were recording the first Four Horseman album and kindly gave me a tape of demos of a few of the songs via Dennis. So thanks for the tape, loved the album, I hope all is well with you.

As for Dennis, I was tattooed quite a lot by him, always a pleasure and after nearly 20 years still very happy with 95% which ain't bad :-)

Dennis, should you ever read this, please get in touch: cagey054@yahoo.com

Kevin (the guy who printed your business cards)

Where are you located? London UK

Was in Walkers Court Tattoo Studio(now diamond jacks) last week & thought of all the times I left there with Dennis & went for something to eat & drink, so many times, so many Great memories in the late 80s & early 90s - C'mon Den get in touch, lets have that next Rockin Drink !

troyfrench14@hotmail.co.uk

Hi simon. We just re-released that album with additional artwork/sleevenotes and additional tracks on CD. (It's been deleted for 15 years.) Email guitarist Dave Lizmi at davelizmi@gmail.com and say you're my mate, and he'll sort out how you can go about getting one. New website on way, so nowhere to actully buy one yet. Be well.

Where are you located? new york usa

thanks stephen, i just sent him a email thanks for your help. keep rockin.
simon

Where are you located? romford essex england

Dennis Cockell=Legend!
Anyway, can you tell me where Kev Angell is tattoing now? Stanmore?? He did a lot of quality work on the top of both my arms when he had a parlour in Bristol in the 90s and it would be great if he could do some more!

Where are you located? Bristol

what is happening to dennis cockell web site

Where are you located? sussex

Dennis has fallen off the radar screen again. The website remains the same because I've been given no directions to get it rolling.

And so.....we wait.

Hi, I had 2 tattoo's done by Dennis in his west hampstead studio 9 years ago. i do not doubt that he was a legend, however money seemed to get the better of him. Both tattoos are scarred, with feedback that they were done by blunt needles I remeber him giving my sister freebies cos she got him business !!!!!!!! Needless to say those were also of the same quality

Where are you located? west hampstead

just to say this forum is for general chat not complaints if you were not happy with the first why have another, plus your sister was quite happy getting free ones i bet she did not complain at the time.

Dennis inked both my arms at walkers court, he done one the first ultra violet tattoos and we ended up doing a photo shoot for the face magazine and the independent. He was a great bloke, i used to get the cappachinos in from the cafe opposite and i remeber buying one of his mirrors when he changed it.
class bloke

Where are you located? Durham

Hey Pete, I still have a copy of the Independent with you and Dennis in it. Fabulous times mate. Weren't you a chef or something? I also visited that cappachino joint MANY times...."Mr. Tom, you go grab us a couple of large cappachinos, no sugar in mine....sweet enough!!" I can still hear it like it was yesterday. Cheers pal.

Hi Tommy
yeah was a chef but gave it up, i had about5 copies of the Face, but have one copy now and the paper cutting! its great someone can remeber it, i remeber the next day my face peeled from the uv lights in the shoot. the uv tattoo colour has faded now and does not show up but my other sleeve has kept its colour brilliantly, roll on Dennis, wonder if the cafe is there still?
cheers

Pete

Where are you located? Durham

Hi all , i remember my 1st tatt at the finchley rd studio . Black panther with a purple maine and boob .
Those were the days , anyone go to hi old m8s place in edgware london , Kevin angell .

Don ...

Hi everyone - I saw Dennis yesterday (26-11-09) and he has just opened a new studio in Greens Court, Soho, London - It was great catching up with Dennis again - and in a couple of weeks time via our other noticeboard on this site - We will be bringing you an exclusive interview with Dennis about what he has been getting up to in the last few years...The studio's telephone number is 020 7434 0969.

hi there just to let you no i have just received a copy of the cd the four horseman "nobody said it was easy" from dave lizmi thanks for your help and please say thanks to dave i must of played it about 6 times already in the car still fantastic recommended cd to anyone.go to there web site and check it out
also great to hear dennis is back i will pop down and see him as soon as i can "keep rockin"simon

Happy New Year to All You Rockers n Rollers - Keep The Faith - It was Great chatting with Me Old Mate Dennis Yesterday, Have a Great 2010

Hey Troy. Glad you got to touch base. I was in London over Xmas. Tried to call Dennis' studio many times, but got no reply, or a machine. Any ideas. Best, Stephen

Where are you located? New York

Stephen, Happy New Year ! Dennis has just had His Phone turned on at His Soho Studio not far from Walkers Court. We're meeting up next Week & I'll pass on Your message. In the meantime try Him on 0207 4340969. I lost Your email address as I was 'hacked 'into & also Photos You sent. Here is New address - troyfrench14@hotmail.co.uk - be Great to hear from You - all the Best.

posted on wrong board previously, Dennis will be staring my tat today. hope his art is as amazing as everyone says. he was such a nice bloke

[i met dennis last weekend after speaking to him on the phone a few weeks before, i have arranged for him to tattoo my boyfriend as a present as he's always wanted one from dennis since being a teenager , Dennie is lovely a real gent and totally full of it , my boyfriend has been today to be inked and went for a beer with him after , he loves him and his new tat , he's going to be doing me soon

Where are you located? lincolnshire

my wife had a tattoo by him when he worked as a carpenter in a big house in london , I heard a rumour that he has a tatoo shop in soho is this true as my wife would like another one by him.

Where are you located? windsor

I believe so have not got the address I am sure somebody will answer your question soon.

greens court in soho! that's were he is!

yeah he is still in soho and going strong !!!!

my name is linda, i'm 31 & from atlantic city usa. i first met dennis in the year 2000 whilst he was on tour with the stray cats. during 2000i had a large tiger tattooed on my thigh which was a great piece of work beatiful colours in it.
i was recently in london & met up with dennis & had another great design (roses on my left shoulder) done. i just wanted to let you know what a great artist he is, certainly all of my tattoos will be done by dennis in the future & he will always be welcome in my home in atlantic city.

Where are you located? atlantic city usa

Great to see you again dennis in our home town last week. everyone who you tattooed (especially the ladies) were knocked out by your designs/colours & we can't wait for you to return & visit us again, you know your always more than welcome. you people in london don't know how lucky you are to have dennis cockell on your doorstep 24/7. why don't you think about opening a studio in switzerland - it would be a knockout ! all the best from the switzerland gang !

Where are you located? zurich, switzerland

Hey all dose anyone know the name of the studio he works in in soho? my father had a tattoo done by him 36 odd years ago and id very much like to get the same one from him.

Where are you located? Suffolk UK

i think this is the number of the studio give it a try 0207 4340969

I had my tattoos done by Dennis way back in the 70's when he was living in Worcester.UK.
I am glad to see he moved on and made a name for himself and that i have tattoos done by a living legend.

Where are you located? Barry, Wales

Hi guys, got two dragons tattoed by Den back in the late eighties 88 or 89 methinks. Theyre still bright and deep bringin my memories back to walkers court when i was just 20. Really really hope Dennis still well and healthy and wish him good luck for years to come. Will never forget.
Alberto

Where are you located? Italy

Nice one Alberto

Thanks mate

Alberto

Where are you located? Italy