Return to Website

GrASP Computing, Leicester. Online Forum

Welcome to GrASP's forum. Use this forum for anything Leicester or Computer related.

GrASP Computing, Leicester. Online Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
internet explorer

Hiya, I wondered if you could help me. My friend has a computer that is not hooked up to the internet, it is just used for running craft type software and thus doesn't need to be connected. It is an old machine,running on windows 98. A week or so ago, we reformatted it, so it would be clean and run faster when the software was installed. However, having done this the internet explorer version has gone back to its previous setting ( the computer has been used online before a newer one was bought for this and thus had updated IE), and it is a version previous to version 4 and the software she wants to install needs version 4 or above. Is there a way that I can install a later version onto the computer, without it having to connect to the internet. I would be grateful if you can help me with this. Thanks, Gilly.
(p.s my computer is running like a dream since you fixed it earlier this year)

Leicestershire area? Yes/No yes

Compter Make/Model: not sure

Re: internet explorer

Hi Gilly,
the easy way to upgrade internet explorer right up to version 6 is to grab a free internet access cd like the wanadoo cd at PCWorld/Dixons/Currys.
When you put the cd into her pc it will auto start so close down whatever pops up (ALT-F4). Go into my computer and right click the CD drive then explore.
The cd contains an internet explorer upgrade so just find it on the cd and double click it. I think its called IESETUP.EXE or similar.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Hiya, I wondered if you could help me. My friend has a computer that is not hooked up to the internet, it is just used for running craft type software and thus doesn't need to be connected. It is an old machine,running on windows 98. A week or so ago, we reformatted it, so it would be clean and run faster when the software was installed. However, having done this the internet explorer version has gone back to its previous setting ( the computer has been used online before a newer one was bought for this and thus had updated IE), and it is a version previous to version 4 and the software she wants to install needs version 4 or above. Is there a way that I can install a later version onto the computer, without it having to connect to the internet. I would be grateful if you can help me with this. Thanks, Gilly.
(p.s my computer is running like a dream since you fixed it earlier this year)

Leicestershire area? Yes/No Yes

Re: Re: internet explorer

thanks Alan, I'll give it a go

Leicestershire area? Yes/No yes

Compter Make/Model: not sure