BIBLE AND THEOLOGY FORUM

Welcome!  You are at BibleAndTheology.com, which is the general forum for BibleAndTheology.org.  Persons are invited to post on Bible and Theology (widely interpreted).  Some postings may be chosen to be reposted on BibleAndTheology.org.  Give & receive love here. If you post here, please do not use "Anonymous" or the like. Choose your own screen names, but do not use one that you know is already being used by someone else. Please: 

1. You may debate with any ideas posted, but do not post objections to the topic, style, spelling, use of capital letters, or grammar of anyone's posting.  For example, you may debate whether the moon is made of green cheese, but kindly refrain from reviling a poster by telling him that it is politically incorrect to discuss green cheese.   

2. Do not post complaints or attacks vs. other posters.  

3. No obscene language,cuss words, or blasphemy may be used.   

4. Send complaints privately by e-mail to NellPatKay@hotmail.com.  If your posting is deleted, it could be because it violates forum rules or is just chosen for a short run on the forum.  

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . If you want the password, register your screen names by e-mail, as password may be needed again if problems arise on the Forum. CHECK OUT THE search function, which is good: it checks the content of the postings.

Note that if you paste onto the Forum, for some reason Bravenet may change your quote marks and apostrophes into something else, like little boxes or funny U's.   Thanks for coming, participating, and for showing love .

BIBLE AND THEOLOGY FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WAR, GIVE WAR A CHANCE?

I heard a talk show host advocate: "Give war a chance!" (He was referring to the Israel vs. non-Jewish antagonists in Eretz Israel).

So we could take up our song:

"All that we're saying is,
Give war a chance,
All that we're saying
Give war a chance.

Actually we Christians may forget that we ARE in a war, or we may forget that the war we are called to fight is not vs. our wife or vs. humans:

We wrestle (obviously too weak a translation) not against flesh-and-blood, but vs. principalities and powers, ruler of wickedness in high places. (See Ephesians 6).

I recall having read the C.S. Lewis science fiction trilogy, which had names like: The Hideous Strength and Perilandra. In one of those books, this guy is transported to another planet, I think it was Venus (Perilandra), where a Garden of Eden like episode is taking place and the devil is trying to persuade the Eve of that planet to sin. As I recall after the earthling listens for a while, he butts into the argument with the devil, and commences to argue with the devil. But he gets no where, until he stops arguing with the devil and punches him in the nose; whereupon this big physical fight takes place.

At any rate we are called to war (not just wrestle). I mean one does not "wrestle" with a sword. We are called to put on the whole armor of God, get out our sword and swing, and employ the force field of prayer.

And BTW, if you want a very interesting subject to study in the Bible (mark with your highlighter the passages), check out the subject of "God's Clothes." The Ephesians 6 passage is one of the many passages on "God's Clothes," for the armor is "The armor of God." You will find that at times God Himself is pictured as wearing clothes (e.g., zeal as a mantle).

The most valuable clothing for the Christian to wear is THE LORD JESUS CHRIST (Put on the Lord Jesus -- see Romans 13).

14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof. The bad clothes to wear "The Old Man" - flesh; for this check out Ephesians and Colossians.

At any rate, we are called to War, a War in which we have a special outfit to put on. We have no choice. The enemy goes about as a roaring lion seeking to make a snack out of us. Woe to any people who have opponents who have declared war vs. that people, but the people do not war back. Methinks that Israel made this error during the Gulf War, when Iraq shot missles at them, and they did nothing back.

(And it may be noted that in the Gospel of Luke there is additional revelation given, long after the "turn the other cheek" teaching -- a dispensational change, even though we still don't war vs. humans; and this change concerns what we wear:

35 And He said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.
36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

All I am saying is, Give War a chance!