BIBLE AND THEOLOGY FORUM

Welcome!  You are at BibleAndTheology.com, which is the general forum for BibleAndTheology.org.  Persons are invited to post on Bible and Theology (widely interpreted).  Some postings may be chosen to be reposted on BibleAndTheology.org.  Give & receive love here. If you post here, please do not use "Anonymous" or the like. Choose your own screen names, but do not use one that you know is already being used by someone else. Please: 

1. You may debate with any ideas posted, but do not post objections to the topic, style, spelling, use of capital letters, or grammar of anyone's posting.  For example, you may debate whether the moon is made of green cheese, but kindly refrain from reviling a poster by telling him that it is politically incorrect to discuss green cheese.   

2. Do not post complaints or attacks vs. other posters.  

3. No obscene language,cuss words, or blasphemy may be used.   

4. Send complaints privately by e-mail to NellPatKay@hotmail.com.  If your posting is deleted, it could be because it violates forum rules or is just chosen for a short run on the forum.  

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . If you want the password, register your screen names by e-mail, as password may be needed again if problems arise on the Forum. CHECK OUT THE search function, which is good: it checks the content of the postings.

Note that if you paste onto the Forum, for some reason Bravenet may change your quote marks and apostrophes into something else, like little boxes or funny U's.   Thanks for coming, participating, and for showing love .

BIBLE AND THEOLOGY FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Will you really recognize your loved one in heaven or on the new earth?

Hello everyone, For many many years I've heard people say that when our loved ones in Christ die, we will get the chance to see them again (I've even said it myself), but I can't remember ever reading (unless I've missed it) this anywhere in the Bible. So, does anyone here have any scriptures to back this up, and while we're at it how about verses that say "we go directly to meet Jesus after we die", rather than "just falling asleep"?
Thanks for your help and God bless.

Re: Will you really recognize your loved one in heaven or on the new earth?

If God is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; then those 3 men are living (not in a state of death -- while their bodies sleep, their spirits live). The Lord Jesus said:

"22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as angels in heaven. 31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, 32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living."

A number of times the Bible speaks of the departed as having been gathered to their people. If they were gathered to their people, that suggests mutual recognition.

Here are some sample statements; there are more:

"And Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years, and was gathered to his people."

"7 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, a hundred and thirty and seven years. And he gave up the ghost and died, and was gathered unto his people."

"29 And Isaac gave up the ghost, and died, and was gathered unto his people, old and full of days: and Esau and Jacob his sons buried him."

King David had a son who died. David stated "I shall go to him."

"22 And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who knoweth whether Jehovah will not be gracious to me, that the child may live? 23 But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me."

Also, in the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus, the Rich Man in Hades recognized Abraham. And while it is a parable, parables are true to life.

As to the Intermediate State, that time between death and the resurrection, when believers are with the Lord, but their bodies have not yet been raised, the prophet Paul indicates that when we are absent from our bodies, we are with the Lord:

"5:6 Being therefore always of good courage, and knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight; 8 we are of good courage, I say, and are willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be at home with the Lord."

I hope that this helps, Jeanne

Your friend,
Enoch