SWAN BOAT CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD

Please post any announcements, events or comments here. ALL boaters welcome!

SWAN BOAT CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT BOARD
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Regatta Question

First I want to thank everyone that worked hard to put on our Regatta. I had lots of people tell me what a great time they had and Swan always puts on a great event. My question is the date of the Regatta would always be on the weekend after the 4th of July if the 4th was on a Wednesday or later and would be the weekend before if it was on a Tuesday or earlier. I asked several members and they all thought the same thing. I am concerned because I overheard some of the other visiting club members mention that our Regatta is no longer a 4th of July event and they were going to try to get the weekend for their club if we were not going to keep the date. Just curious what the official answer is an hoping we don't start competing with other clubs for this weekend.

Re: Regatta Question

Our Regatta has historically been the weekend before the 4th. If the 4th is part of the weekend, that is when we have it. Example is 2020 the 4th is Saturday so we will be planning for July 3rd and 4th . The Regatta this year was only 1 calendar date earlier than last year. I've had numerous questions about our date as well but I refreshed people's memories that we are actually on the same weekend as the last few years.

With all due respect Commodore I think you emphasize my point. The last few years we have been backing up our dates and losing the ability to capitalize on the extra days that people might visit and patronize our club. With the holiday falling on a Thursday this year we missed an opportunity to have more people here from Thursday to Sunday.

You may be right Steve. I was just stating history. We don't start Regatta after the 4th. Some clubs have tried different activities on the 4th and find attendance not so great because of family picnics fireworks displays, etc.

Steve you are correct. The board changed the date. I can tell you you for years and Years the date has never changed. All went very well and everyone worked hard. If the date stayed the same Swan would have been really packed. Sunseekers hurt it a bit. It’s hard when you change the date other clubs will try to get the date. Our date on the 4th is the only thing going and gives a extra day.. I feel we need to hold our date of the 4th. P/C Dennis