Welcome to the board.

If you have a question about Hutch or old school BMX,

feel free to post them here!

JJR's MESSAGE FORUM
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hutch Trailstar

I can no longer ride, so with a heavy heart, I'd like to sell my very rare and fabulous Hutch Trailstar BMX bike. I bought it about 1979. It is in good condition with light rust-speckle and has original parts and stickers except for seat, chain, and tires. Last one I saw online sold for around $1200, so I'm looking for a comparable offer. Is Ebay a good place to start? Contact: myfreshbrains@gmail.com.
See photos here:
http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/freshbrains1/library/Hutch%20Trailstar

Re: Hutch Trailstar

Gayle Bass
I can no longer ride, so with a heavy heart, I'd like to sell my very rare and fabulous Hutch Trailstar BMX bike. I bought it about 1979. It is in good condition with light rust-speckle and has original parts and stickers except for seat, chain, and tires. Last one I saw online sold for around $1200, so I'm looking for a comparable offer. Is Ebay a good place to start? Contact: myfreshbrains@gmail.com.
See photos here:
http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/freshbrains1/library/Hutch%20Trailstar
As far i know, Hutch didn't sell the trailstar in 1979!

Yes, I'm not sure -- I was trying to figure it out based on other things in my life. But I guess it was soon after that. When was the first one made? Is there any way to tell when it was made from that serial number?

Gayle
Yes, I'm not sure -- I was trying to figure it out based on other things in my life. But I guess it was soon after that. When was the first one made? Is there any way to tell when it was made from that serial number?
The ad you show in your pictures is from 1985.
The trailstar must be from that time.
Date code in serial i don't know.
But maybe you can find a date code in one of the parts.
Shimano has a date code in there parts.

"The ad you show in your pictures is from 1985.
The trailstar must be from that time.
Date code in serial i don't know.
But maybe you can find a date code in one of the parts.
Shimano has a date code in there parts."

Thanks! I don't think it can be 1985, but I suppose it is possible. I got the ad poster from the internet last year and although it says all-new, I don't see a date on it? Around 1979 I also bought 2 new road bikes, which were stolen the first day we got them (we suspected the bike shop), and then bought 2 more with the insurance money-- so maybe I'm getting the dates confused. Too many bikes to keep track of. :-) I'll look at Shimano. But if anyone can tell the date from the serial number, I'd appreciate it.

Serial code could be as follow:
M4 = 1984
L = december
Don't know if it's really correct but it can be because they sold them in 1985.