The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
DOPE

ANYONE REMEMBER CALLING TRANSMISION AND DIFERENTIAL GREASE, DOPE? THAT WAS THE ONLY NAME WE KNEW FOR IT GROWING UP IN SYLACAUGA. WHEN WE MOVED DOWN HERE IN 61 I ASKED ONER TO TAKE THE CAR AND GET THE DOPE CHECKED IN IT. WRONG THING TO DO, THE SERVICE STATION ATTENDANTS FELL IN THE FLOOR LAUGHING AT HER, SHE CAME HOME AND CLEANED MY PLOW GOOD. SEEMS LIKE NOBODY DOWN HERE HEARD OF DOPE BEFORE. AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT CALLED GREASE, DOPE, OR HAVE ANY OF YOU CALLED IT DOPE TOO? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW. MVB ES

Re: DOPE

Sorry, E.S., but I never heard it called that. At the mill, though, soft drinks were called "dopes," and "the dope wagon" ran a couple of times during each shift. It was a wagonload of soft drinks pushed through the mill by somebody who worked in "The Dope House." Did any of you ever hear of that?

Re: Re: DOPE

I shore do master Jimmy, I also reckalack seeing a machenic put some in my pink Food. The Proosser

Re: Re: Re: DOPE

THANKS ED,THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE. YEAH JIMMY, WE CALLED SODA WATER DOPES TOO. YOU KNOW "DUBS ON THAT DOPE" MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: DOPE

We always doped the wagon wheels good before we went for a load of firewood.

Yep, dopes from the dope house and/or dope wagon or from Mr. Barton or Mr. Clint's COCOLE box and dope for the rear end......of the car of course.

Horace

That was supposed to be COCOLER..as most of us pronounced back then.

We also called dopes COLE DRANKS.

Horace