General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Ritz Theater

I worked with Rex and John at Kimberly-Clark. We were Millwrights. I wondered why John's nickname was Flash. He was always slow and easy and he never got in a hurry or got excited. "Flash" just didn't seem to fit as a nickname. Now I know where it came from.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ritz Theater

What a small world we live in. My daddy was a very mild mannered man. Never got mad over most things. Rex took after my grandfather Dison. A slow walking man tall and slender with a red complection, but with a temper and a half. My mother took after him. She never got in a hurry about anything. she had a bad temper also. Rex took after her too. Did you ever notice how Rex just kind of glided along with a smooth gait? and how he would squat when standing around talking or standing hip shod. We are suppose to have a lot of Indian blood in us. Grandpa looked like an Indian but we never had any documentation on it. Flash took after my daddy more than he did his father. The nephew I carried to the movies was my sister Gertie Mae's son the same age of Flash. His name was Rusty and those two boys were a hoot. You just can't imagine all they got into. Rusty acted silly and Flash giggled at every thing he did. You couldn't get mad at them because they were soooooo funny.
Zona

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ritz Theater

Zona,

I remember your Dad well..(I think)...Didn't he do the maintenance work for the cleaners that Murray McCluskey owned on second street and Industrial Ave.?.Later I believe he did the boiler work for the cleaning shop that your neighbor, Mirian Heaton and her husband Jack owned on Norton..

I knew Rex and Grace when Flash was still a kid..We took our son out to see them when Flash owned a pony..
Rita, Flash's wife, always has been an exceptionaly pretty girl..Haven't seen her in years but she worked in the same office section that I did..Did work preparing bills of lading for shipments and also in raw materials control..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ritz Theater

You got it. That was my daddy. He also was a co-owner as well as Rex in the Heaton's Cleaning. He kept up all the boilers and other machinery at Sylacauga Hospital and the motel that Murry owned. The cleaning business kept them in the red. Just couldn't get the charge customers to pay up. That was the way my daddy was to let people get by without paying him. He worked on well pumps on the side and everything else you can think of. He and Rex had a lot of adventures together. They raised pigs together, had a corn pulling machine together, a cutter, sweeper and hay bailing machine, raised cows, had a well drill together and Flash helped with it. When they came in from work they usually had a job to go somewhere with the drill and when daddy started getting where it wasn't safe for him to climb on the drill Rex would come in early and slip off without him and daddy would drive all over the back roads until he found him so Rex finally had to sell the drill. He and Rex built the house in Oak Grove that we lived in. You name it and Rex and daddy has done it.
Zona

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ritz Theater

Somebody at work said that Rex could walk with a bucket of water on his head and never spill a drop.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ritz Theater

Pete I never saw him do that trick but I don't doubt that he could do it. When Flash was just a few months old he would hold him by his feet in one hand and start bouncing him up and down until Flash would get his balance and stiffen his legs then he would hold his arm straight out and Flash would just be standing in the plam of Rex's hand. Rex loved to play tricks on all of his family. he would take me to the ritz and tell me a love movie was playing but it would be Hong Cong and he would scare me all through the movie. He would reach behind and grab me at one of the most scarry parts and I would scream the house down. He had a car that had some kind of plastic seat covers on it and he took a necked wire and wove it all in the back seat and he could switch it on from the drivers seat. One time he had carried me and some more youg girls to the Quarry pond to swim and on the way home(in our wet bathing suits) he shocked the fire out of us. He thought it was so funny but we didn't. After he had shocked mother his wife wove every bit of the wire under the driver's seat and the next time he tried to shock someone it knocked the stew out of him. That was the last of that little trick.
Zona

Re: Ritz Theater

Zona, this is the most entertaining page I've read since this thing started. No wonder ES married you, you're from crazy stock. It must have been a hoot when all of your family got together.

Horace

Re: Re: Ritz Theater

You better believe it. And that is not the half of it Horace.
Zona

Pete, is this you as one of the "street musicians"?

"Boom Town"

Yeah, that's me with the guitar. That's one of the few TV things I've done that I like. I've got a DVD of the show and I watch it every now and then. I really like the music at the end when they're rolling credits. The Bonnie and Clyde thing, I never did see. Brenda Thornton said she saw it on satellite. I don't have a TV and they didn't send me a tape, so I've never seen it.

You know I loved the Ritz, the Sylacauga was kinda blah in comparison and the Martin was nice and new but it wasn't the Ritz. What a shame that it had? to go. I remember some great movies other than cowboys and Saturday morning serials. That's where I fell in love with Jane Powell, Deborah Kerr and others, but Jane Powell always was and still is my favorite, I just love and watch Seven Brides for Seven Brothers every chance I get...you know who thinks it is a silly movie, but then Howard Keel ISN'T Jane Powell.

Horace

I too, loved the ritz. The Grand Old Opry came there once. 1940s. I saw Roy Acuff, Minnie Pearl and many more stars. I enjoyed movies there from 1939 thru 1950. Great times!