The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My latest "old saying"

BTH - Southern Woman's saying

Re: My latest "old saying"

Jimmy that one sounds like Air Force...the Army one was FUBIS.

Horace

Re: Re: My latest "old saying"

Okay, I'll be the one who asks: What do all those Acronymns stand for - everyone?!??!

FNDCSTB Means...First Negro Down Court Shoots The Basketball.

Re: Re: Re: My latest "old saying"

HAR! HAR! HAR! That's actually funny!

FIIGMO means "F___ it --- I got my orders!"

You SURE that wasn't FUBAR?

You're correct, of course. I had to look it up.

For the rest of you, both FIIGMO and FUBIS were used by guys who were about to get out of the service and just REALLY didn't care much what WHO thought.

I told you what FIIGMO means. The Army term that Horace used means "F___ you, Buddy, I'm short!" (Meaning "a short-timer.")

FUBAR just then came back to mind. It means "F_____ UP BEYOND ALL REPAIR." Alternatively, for the squeamish, the first word COULD be "Fouled."

I remember, for instance, when I was in the FIIGMO stage of my Air Force career, I answered my squadron commander's query about reenlisting by saying, "Sir, I'd rather be a civilian on welfare."

Never DID get any "welfare" except for the GI Bill, which I figured I'd traded three years, nine months, twenty-eight days and thirteen hours of my life for, so I had EARNED that $135 a month.

Yeah, and looking back on it all, I thank GOD for the opportunies my country gave me.

During WWII the phrase was SNAFU which proabably was the forerunner to the later versions...

Re: Re: Re: Re: My latest "old saying"

Yeah, Fogey, but that didn't relate to "I'm getting out, so I don't care" --- it referred to the way things ALWAYS seemed to go in the military:

"Situation Normal --- all (Fouled) Up!"

...and THAT is a true, true story!

Re: My latest "old saying"

In the Army that last letter the S stood for Shipping

as in shipping out.

Horace

Handsome Ed wanted me to post this old saying; "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Okay, Go ahead and post it...

I heard a saying in Nashville. "He's Lost His Tall." Meaning that someone has lost his status or his 'place' in line.
What happened was - I asked Bud Logan, John Conlee's Record Producer, why a certain writer wasn't getting many 'cuts' (songs recorded)? - and Bud said, "He's Lost His Tall."