The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

Checking in early today, Might sleep in this morning. Been downloading Oldie songs of yesteryear. Earth Angel, In the still of the night, Hearts of stone, and listening to them while we reminence back when we could dance at the Proms and at the Rec after football games. I could almost feel the thrill of dancing close with my favorite Majorette and hopeing it would last forever. And you know what??? It did!! A little older, a little wiser, a little more feeble, but still together and will be for 50 years this coming Dec 21st.
Kinda cool down here today, I got out once, to take the trash can to the road and to buy a loaf of bread at the store.
So you see, I'm one of those shutins that read the forum. Have a great day today! MVB ES

Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

ES, Congrats on your 50th coming up. That is wonderful. Charlie and I are "babes" in our marriage.
Ours will be 25 this July.
Everyone have a great and wonderful day!

Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

E.S. talking about dances at the Rec. reminds me of the time Jerry Lee Lewis came to the Rec. He put on a heckuva show and WFEB did a remote broadcast from there. If you see those Dairy Queen pictures on Jerry Hardy's site, those were made the afternoon of the Jerry Lee Lewis sock hop. Of course, I'm in one of them wearing a stolen BBC jersey (41) right out in public. There was also a big dance after that Dadeville game that I scored that touchdown in. WFEB, with Chris Webber doing the MC'ing, was there remote again. They interviewed Rodney Aderholt and me on stage and on the radio about that touchdown play. Rodney had tipped the pass and it landed right in my hands, almost.

Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

I scored a touchdown one time, and when I ran into the end zone, Nelly Belly was standing there screaming "YAAAAAAAAAAAy, Jimmy!" and then she gave me a HOOVER SMOOCH, right there in front of God, Mr. McCulley and EVERYBODY!

Best dream I ever had! SIGH!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

You people brighten up our day. Thanks a bunch for giving us a little insight in your lives. It is sunny and brisk here on Iron City hill, Anniston, Al. Our son is doing great after his accident and surgery. He can do anything (almost) that he wants to with his left hand. He is right handed but he is managing beautifully. We know we have had our prayer warriors praying for all of us and they have sincerely been welcomed and appreciated. Have a wonderful and blessed day........Trish and ED

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

Cubby, Wish I could have seen you play, Might have tho, I saw Dale Lattan and the fast end that caught all the t.d.s in 58 or 59. I left Sylacauga in 61 to work down here.
Many thanks for the CD, Am playing it now and have been all evening. Any body else want one, I can burn them one and send it to them. Cubby, I saw your Uncle Billy play many a game growing up, in fact I saw his first game, It was a grade against grade jambore I guess you'd call it. Coach Eubanks furnished all the boys that didn't play school ball uniforms and pitted grade against grade. Billy showed out that day, scoring several touchdowns. Coach had him in a Comer uniform the next varisty game. At Etawah, Billy was the hero even if we did lose, They had crooked officals and the game lasted 2 1/2 hours. Everytime Comer would get ahead the clock would stop, when Etawah would get ahead the clock would run. Biggest mess I ever saw. Seems like we lost 30 to 25 and Billy scored most of the points. A fine player. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

That fast end you are talking about is Jack Bennett, though he was actually a half back. He and Layton were about joined at the hips, they were together so much. At that time Jack was the fastest football player I could remember seeing. He was Dale's favorite target, and should have been. I remember us calling time out with 1 second left in the half of the Jacksonville game. Layton proceeded to throw a 79 yard touchdown bomb to Jack Bennett to end the half. And when we played Dadeville my junior year, they were undefeated and Jack caught a pass over the middle from Dale, turned on the after burners and ran about 70 yards for the winning touchdown (we won 12-7). He did the same thing against Alex City, bringing us to a 13-13 tie in their homecoming game.
(we should have won that game. We missed a chip shot field goal in the last seconds of the game caused by a train whistle messing up the snap count).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

Reckon they still got that train whistle mounted on that post in Alex City? I wouldn't bet against it!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

The train whistle was on a train. The track was close to the football field. Bad timing for us.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

Yeah, I figured that, Cubby. I was just being sarcastic. Remember the "controlled clock" in Etowah? I was sitting on the bench that night.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

Jimmy, One question, Was Nellie Belley the Rose? MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

You gottit, E.S. It's all been "out in the open" here since before Winnie and I married. I've even got a Camp Helen beach picture of "the other rose" and me on our bedroom bookcase here, and I've even called and talked with her since she returned to Sylacauga. Winnie's "take" on it has always been, in her words,"So she was your first love --- I'll be your last!"

Ain't MANY women that smart, y'know? I picked a winner. And there are at least five OTHER reasons God apparently didn't want me to have the other rose.

"Man proposes, but God disposes!" And He does a good job of it, too!

Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

E.S., I talked with Handsome Ed a while ago. Was gonna call you, but danged if I can find your Camp Glosson number. Email it to me and I'll talk your ear off. Ed and I "HEE-HAWED" for a long time, and I wanna use up some more of these "unlimited anytime anywhere in the US or Canada" minutes I now have on Time Warner Digital Phone. Dang thing works through the same cable my computer and TV are hooked up to, and all at the same time. Dang cable modem has about thirteen or twelve lights on it! (Little Mexican talk there for ya'! LOL)
Anyway, send me the number and get a pad for your ear.

Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

205-654-2250 Maybe somebody else will call this ole repobate that is shutin and lonesome. Trish calls me nearly every night to check on her Big Bro. Oner says we talk about something over and over and over, but we must be on the same page cause neither one says " I heard that before". So me and you can really hash over old times and not care if we did say it before. I too had a first love if you want to call it that in school. She booted me for another and that was the first real hurt I experenced in my love life. My Oner didn't comment when I'd mention her but I'm sure she didn't like it. At one of the reunions my first love was there and Oner told her to go over and see me. She came over and said "Know who I am?" I said I'm sorry, I don't. Then she said I'm Blank, I said Blank who?
When I found out she was my first love, I begin praying, Thank you Lord for Oner and not giving me my first love. Talk about treeing squirls, she could lead the pack. My Oner was sitting back, grinning and taking revenge like the lady she is.
She later told me she set me up, if she had been pretty, she wouldn't have sent her over. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 1/31/06

Women should be fighting wars. The enemies would surrender in less than a week...