The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WYDE

By the way Cubby and any body else that might care, did you remember that WYDE was formerly WILD and that when Gerald A. Bartell bought the station he changed the call letters to WYDE and moved WILD to Boston?
He was one of the very earliest innovators of Top 40 radio along with Gordon MacLenond and Todd Storz. Bartell even went so far as to own and copyright the names of his jocks...he moved the bodies around but kept the names in place. Johnny Gray was the mainstay at WYDE for a long time but several different people filled the chair.

Horace

Re: WYDE

Johnny Gray married a high school friend of my wife.
I became friends with him, somewhat, when WYDE was broadcasting from 2101 Magnolia Avenue. The company I worked for was on the 2nd floor and WYDE was on the 5th floor. Duke Rumore was chasing all the females in the building, but he never caught any that I know of...

If I remember correctly, when WILD was changed to WYDE, it had a sister station in Atlanta with the call letters of WAKE making the two stations WYDE AWAKE.

Yep you're right WAKE was a part of the Bartell group.

Horace

Re: Re: WYDE

Does anyone remember what was Duke Rumore's favorite number or temperture?

Re: Re: Re: WYDE

Re: Re: Re: Re: WYDE

Nobody, I mean nobody but Cubby could come up with that number. You still my HERO!!!!! MVB ES