General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Super Bowl

The game is over. Mike Holmgren has class. That's all. That's it. "Wait'll next year!"

When Peyton Manning made a second-rate fool of himself, it taught a LOT of folks with more class to keep their mouths shut when all the freaking blathering in the world is NOT GOING TO CHANGE A THING!

Re: Re: Super Bowl

How did Peyton Manning make a fool of himself? I don't remember him saying anything except they got beat.

Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Like I said, 100 years from now the score will be Steelers 21 Seahawks 10. What if's, protests, rave, cry, moan,puke will not change the score. Like the Etowah game way back when, the score stood no matter who cheated and who didn't.
I may have told this before but it's not the first time and won't be the last.
One night I rode by the ball park and wimmin were playing, I was gonna watch for awhile then go home. As soon as I stepped out of the car the umpire handed me the counter and said "I got to go to work, you're the umpire" It so happened the game was for the championship in the league. I called both coaches together and told them I didn't want to umpire but I'd do the best I could. Both said we know you will and you won't have any trouble out of us. Before half the game was over, one team wanted to beat the tar out of me, by the end of the game, everybody wanted to hang me. I feel for the umps and refs, it's a no win job, Cubby can tell you that. Thats why they park their car headed out and soon as the game is over, they run like a wild indian going to **** to the car and vacate the premises. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Wow!!! Unc, between you and Jimmy I'm learning all kinds of things - "What the score will be 100 years from Now" - "That the game is over and we'll have to wait till next year". I'll bet the next thing you will tell me is - "It's not the dog in the fight, it's the fight in the dog." Wow!!!
I sure won't umpire any more games because last year all the College and High School Girls did - when I umpired their softball games - was give me Candy and Lifesavers. I'm surprised I escaped with my life.
Notre Dame's shortstop said I was cute and scared the crap out of me. I had to check under the hood of my car to see if there was a bomb or something...Neph

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Why can't obviously bad calls be overruled? We've got instant replay. If the replay shows the call was wrong, it should be changed. I've umpired softball enough to know that a lot of times the people in the stands can see more of the play than the ump. The ump has close-up, but no perspective. I'm not interested in football one way or the other, but we have the technology so let's use it. Games are often won or lost on an umpire or referee's bad calls, and that's just plain wrong.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

I agree Pete, and they ran those plays over and over on replay but nothing was done about it. But giving the refs their due, 3 or 4 bad calls with a split second to call it out of the many right calls is a good average but It's still too many. I coached baseball,basketball,football, Kids, women, men, and bad calls took many games away from me. The games meant wheather I won the pennant or not. I was one unhappy camper to say the least. On the other hand, I have called several games and made bad calls myself. Unless it was obviously a bad call, I wouldn't change it. If I changed one call they would want me to change all I made. To sum it up, It's what side of the game you're on. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

I agree with Pete and ES. The good thing about umpiring softball or baseball, if you make a close call, the penalized team can make an appeal to the other umpire. I've had many calls appealed and the other ump had a better view and overturned my call and vice-versa. Didn't hurt my feelings at all. In football, each official has one area of the field to cover, but still the other officials sometimes see that it was a bad call but think it's 'showing-up' the other official if they try to overturn his call so most of the times they will not do it. Instant replay only covers a few calls. Shame...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Think the ref's may have been intimidated by the Steelers since they made the bad call in the Colts game..Joey ( the mouth ) Porter complained and the League agreed with him and said so.Wonder if they would have supported the claim had it affected the outcome of the game. THE STEELERS SHOULD REPLACE THOSE YELLOW TOWELS THEY WAVE WITH BLACK AND WHITE STRIPPED ONES. Can u tell I'm still ticked?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Me too Charles. I will send you an article a buddy sent to me.
You'd think with a Multi-Billion Dollar Business like the NFL that they'd have full-time referees instead of Lawyers, Accountants and School Teachers.
I hope ES and Jimmy don't read our posts because they are Pacifists and don't want to make the 'refs' mad by disagreeing with them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Hell with sucking pacifiers...I'm a Steelers fan!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSERS!!!!

WHINE! WHINE! NAG! NAG! CRY! SPIT! etc.

HAR! HAR! HAR!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Jim you will always and forever get the last laugh on this one..You got the trophy.Too bad the refs get to share it with you..Whiner yes, Loser no.In order to be a loser there has to be a winner. I didn't see the Stealers(not mispelled) win anything.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Did I forget the HAR! HAR! HAR! on that last post?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Sorry! I thought we were just goofing around here. I really don't EVER get serious about sports....I don't know SH*T about it, and it means absolutely NOTHING to me!

Let's just agree the Seahawks won. Howzzat?

!raH !raH !raH

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

I'm with you Jimmy. I'm not too impressed with million aires playing million aires while I wait on my poor little retirement pension. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Sorry, I thought we were goofing too..Guess the Stealer line was a little harsh..Take it back. Lets just say the Steelers were the recipient of an unsolicited gift.How's that..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Naw, "Stealers" was a natural at the moment. Sure didn't bother me. I just thought my chatter had bothered you, and I had NO intention of being anything other than my usual, sometimes off-base self. As to the "unsolicited gift," that could be. Did you hear Roethlisberger SAY on national television that he didn't think he'd crossed the goal line? I really thought he put the ball ON the line while he was in the air, then pulled it back a couple of inches.

But a thousand years from now, who'll give a sh*t?

Hell, I bet Lathan won't even REMEMBER!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Bart Starr scored on that play. Don Merideth almost made the tackle on Derrick Jeter on the five-yard line but Johnny Mack Brown's horse threw him and he fell on Cassius Clay. I have Gordy Howe's autograph...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

LORDY, how I wish I had Gordie Howe's autograph!

Right after the game, Manning went off like a kid whose all-day sucker was grabbed away from him. Blamed the whole thing on "protection." It was a real "quickie," so I can understand that you missed it. Both my sons saw it, though, so I'm NOT imagining things.

Later on, he tried to brush it off, saying he was misquoted. That's BULLSH*T! I heard what he said. Thing is, even if he was right --- and I think he WAS --- he was wrong for saying it in public!

I've thought for a long time he'd end up being the NFL's greatest quarterback. The boy will never make it if he keeps crapping on his teammates...and THEN denying he did it.

If I made a bad call and the instant replay showed it was bad and I got overruled, I would be glad to change it. I've made calls that I wasn't sure of, but I had to call something. We got the technology, so let's use it. Maybe someday. No, I'm not petulant about the outcome of the game. I really couldn't care less who won.

Me either Pete, in fact I slept through most of the first half. Now if they start taking my money, I'll do more than whine. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

Like the old adage: "I ain't got no dogs in that race."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Super Bowl

I wasn't goofing...I'm almost certain that I am 90% right less than 50% of the time...

Is that the same as being half fast?

I'm not goofing, I'm with Lathan. I didn't think R'berger got the ball over...The Seahawks had a touchdown stolen, There was no more holding on the play that got called back from 2 than there was on that fluke the fat kid from Ohio threw after he steped on the line of scrimmage and Hasselbeck wasn't blocking he was tackeling. And what referee do think is gonna stick his head in the black box...I wonder if there really is a monitor in there anyway...and come back out there and tell 80,000 people, whoops I and or my best buddies screwed up?

So there maybe I'm half fast too, but I'm in good company.

Shoot, I'd NEVER call you "halfassed," Horace!

WRONG...but not halfassed.

Har! Har! Har!

What Horace and Jimmy said...

I think football's got too many rules anyway. I used to watch Australian football. Now, they've got it right! No rules, just beat the crap out of the enemy, take the ball away and run with it. If you get boxed in, just punt at a full run. Australian football players have got to be the toughest, most in shape athletes in the world.

Pete, you're right. And most of the athletes smoke and drink beer and ale after the game. They are a tough bunch of Ratbags, er, guys...

Yea I think all those Aussies actually grew up in Dairyland and on Twin St. where the game of choice was "Tackle the man with the football" and it didn't matter if your fast was half or whole...it WOULD get tackled.

Horace

Yea I think all those Aussies actually grew up in Dairyland and on Twin St. where the game of choice was "Tackle the man with the football" and it didn't matter if your fast was half or whole...it WOULD get tackled. And now guys are flying into the endzone with the ball out stretched when there's nobody within 20 yards of him...makes you wanna puke.

Horace

Horace that bears repeating - Not to be confused with Repeating Bears..

Whatchoo got against Bears?

I just figured out what Lathan was talking about(I'm know I'm leaving ol' Jim an opening here)... that Repeating business.....I'm still trying to figure out how that happened..I musta dropped off or something.

Horace