The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Checkin in from rainy Camp Glosson 02/11/06

Morning Karen,
Rained all evening till about midnight.
TRUE STORY
I know Bobby and Jack remembers this cause they helped us, When it rained all day when we were little, we couldn't bird hunt with our slangshots so we did the next best thing. The rain ran the house flies to our front porch in droves, and we took the pocket off our slangshots and used the rubber part to kill flies with. It was a bloody mess after you killed a few but we didn't care. It was WAR! We even kept count of the enemy we killed.
I never did remember Mama or Daddy complain about the blood spattered wall and ceiling. Kids now days don't know how to entertain themselves with out buying a movie, CD, or play station game, course they were unheard of back then, wouldn't have mattered cause we didn't have the money anyway.
I've heard a lot of people say, "If I could only call back those days", Well, I just did, if only in my mind. It was a great trip and didn't cost me a cent.
Have a good'un MVB ES

Re: Checkin in from rainy Camp Glosson 02/11/06

I want to thank you for all the rain that has now done like my hair and turned white. Looks like we'll get about 5-10 inches here in the DC area. Well look on the bright side, at least the members of congress will stay home.

Horace

Re: Checkin in from rainy Camp Glosson 02/11/06

BOY, E.S., that brings back a memory from Camp Helen. One day there were literally MILLIONS of flies on the outside of the screens around the Mess Hall. We kept using one of those BIG sprayguns --- you know, the ones with a tank that held about a quart or so --- to kill them. Finally, somebody got the bright idea to hold a lighter out where the spray came out, and --- WHOOOOOOOOOOSSH! --- the "Camp Helen Flamethrower" was born. DANG! Shot a flame about three feet LONG! You talk about FUN! Howard Padgett had a tough time keeping up with the demand for bugspray that summer!

Re: Re: Checkin in from rainy Camp Glosson 02/11/06

Brother Bobby ,the inventor,attached the end of a fly swatter(flap)to a stopper gun to hunt flies..great for those long shots!!Keep the memories coming E.S.