General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

My first car was a 68 Nova enjoyed it a lot. But my favorite was a 69 MGB.Traded it for a Grand prix, big mistake.Anyway my wife looks at me a little funny when I look at the MG,s on Ebay.
DD

Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

The first one I remember of ED's was his little 50 Pink Ford two door coupe. It was blue at first until he saw the 56 Pink T'bird then he had it painted Pink, big mistake. You could spot his car anywhere and a lot of those places he would have rather go unnoticed. One time when he got into a fight, mama heard about it and told him if she ever heard of him fighting again, he would never park that little Pink Ford in her yard again. The bad part about it, Paul was there too. In those days a fight was just that, no knifes, guns or marshal arts, just toe to toe fighting. I think after that it was a ford convertible, to many to count. I did like the little pink ford...........Trish

Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/15/06

Fogey, May I ask how old are you? are you still married? how many years?
Be glad when we can sit down together and reminence about old times. I still love to see old cars in the old movies. A fellow down here has a collection of classic cars, some with wooden doors and interer. I drool everytime he brings one out of storage. He must have about 30.
But just like bathrooms, you can use only one at a time, problem with us oldies is like Jack, our pucker string ain't what it used to be, and you sometimes need another bathroom if the one is occupied. (Boy! you cain't beat these "Webster's Large Print Dictionarys. I'm spelling a lot gooder now). I have a closet full of shirts, but only wear 4or 5 over and over. Most of the time I wear a T-shirt.
Like they say, Different strokes etc.
I never owned a motorcycle, the nearest was the Mo-ped we bought my kid brother-nephew Lathan. We all rode it, I think Lathan was last in line for a ride. I've got a picture of Handsome Ed and Bobby Hudgens on a motorcycle in the 50s that I'll show y'all if Jerry or Chuck will help me put it on the forum. Any of y'all ever own one of those Indian cycles with the gears on the gas tank?
One reason I am rambling about different subjects is I like to corrospond with yall and some shutin that can read but not type is gonna be looking for sompin to read when they get up in the morning. I, myself hate to pull up the forum and nothing is on there. Kinda like having soup but nothing to eat it with except a fork. Have a good after Valentine day! MVB ES

Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/15/06

E.S. when Mike Deason and I went to Denmark, I visited a classic car/motorcycle museum and they had just about every kind of motorcycle you could imagine in that place. I took a couple of pictures and I'll try to locate them and send them to you. There were Indian motorcycles/Harley's/BMW's in this place...

Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/15/06

ES:

Vital statistics: I'll be eighty Mar 3rd (next month)..Celebrated my 58th wedding anniversary last Christmas..to the most wonderful woman I have ever met...She had to be to put with the kind of guy I was when she married me...I like to think that she has managed to improve me over the years, and I know my priorities are much different than when we met..

I have never disired to own a motorcycle though I know that do really enjoy them...My one experience of soloing on a motorcycle told me to leave 'em alone..
Another guy and I were sitting on the beach at San Fernando on Northern Luzon a few weeks after the war was over, enjoying a couple of beers when an MP drove up on his bike..I asked if I could try it out and he obligingly told me it was as much mine as his, "Go ahead." I managed to get it off down the beach a couple of hundred yards and it trying to turn it around the darn thing went down on top of me and stomped me good...Never rode one again except for a short ride behind Bobby Nail on one he had a few years later and got no thrill...

Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

I had a 56 Chevy Belaire "Hardtop" I think they called them. There was no post between the front and back door. The windows had their own frame that moved up and down with the glass. It was a bright yellow with a black top. Started giving me a little trouble and I got a raise and traded it for Motor Trend's car of the year.....1963..you'll never believe this but that was a Rambler Classic 660 couldn't quite afford the 770 but I did think I deserved more than the 550. Head full of car smats huh!

Horace

Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

My first car, and the prettiest one I ever owned, was a maroon 1947 Ford Coupe. I put high-speed mudflaps and a gas-saver foxtail on it, and then I added one of those "steering knobs." Trouble was, it was always hittin' Nelly Belly in the...well, anyway, I took it off.

Traded the '47 for a brand-new 1954 Ford six-cylinder with overdrive during my first leave home from the Air Force in 1954. The BEST American car I've ever owned. $2242.02 at the Ford dealership in Alex City. 22 MPG.

My favorite was my 1965 Mustang 2+2. Sure wish I still had THAT!

Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

u might wish i hadn't seen this post,my favorite subject bsides rabbit huntin.fav car was 68 impalla sport coup fire engine red with skirts still miss it
terrible.fav car to drive was either unc pauls 64 ford
fastback,4 speed 390 hi performance,or peewees 62 sprite.my 65 mgb that david traded for that 68 nova.
still own and thoroughly enjoy my 57 belair 2 door post and my 81 jeep scrambler and my 55 dodge truck.
if yall are interested in old cars and trucks let me know and i will look up the spring grand rod run in pigeon forge. ten miles of oldie and goodies packed in five deep for two to three days in every parking lot and all up and down road.takes me and charlie all day sat and till 10 pm friday night just to see and slobber on most of them. absolute gearhead with motor oil blood the color of fire engine red in my veins.
as peewee says--true true story. clark

Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

Tip-Top, I've sent some emails to the only address I have on you. Do you receive them? If so, hit 'reply' and let me know. I want to go rabbit hunting with you someday. I still have dreams about Lady, Dusty and Paddlefoot (my Beagles). I know you remember them. Wish you had been old enough to hunt with me when I had my dogs. They may have been the best rabbit dogs ever to live on this planet.
A TRUE, TRUE STORY...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

TipTop, I knew that the old cars would bring a response from you. Enjoyed talking about them on our ride back to ES's camp from the grave yard. Never knew that part of you. The oldest we have right now is Coker's 74 Corvette Stingray. It is a white convertible with a black cloth top and black interior. It is pretty. It has those crome mufflers on each side and is in excellent shape. Has won several ribbons at the corvette shows. It is sitting under my carport and guarded by 4 Doberman Pinschers. Safe as a baby in the arms of his mother. Coker said that I act like it is mine instead of his. I just might drive it some this summer. The white matches my hair.......Aunt Trish

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

aunt trish you driving a corvette would be the prettiest sight on earth(cept maybe a little beagle pup). maybe we can get our cars together at some sort of reunion this summer. peewee i don't know about emails my kids run the computer at home but i'll check
on that.it's once in a blue moon that i get on the puter at home.i usually only piddle with it at the fire station.i do remember huntinwith lady,dusty and paddlefoot in the pasture at the edges across from where doug brown lived and up toward the silo.chased many a rabbit there with my mike and molly and gypsy.
i haven.t even run any this year,my buddy has already
killed 90 swampers this year so i'm way behind. i prefer to just watch the dogs anyway.runnin on,sorry
will try to shut up now.clark

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

TipTop, even though I raise Doberman's, I'm a real lover of the beagle. I think it is the best pet for a little boy. They are so smart, clean and lovable. Jody taught me to appreciate beagles when I stayed with he and Lois. Lois and I had to feed them when he was on the second shift. I've been there when he let them run. I also remember Lathan's dogs and I am sure I have a picture of two of them with Lathan. Will give it to you Lathan if you want it. Hey I bet I will look good in that Corvette Stingray...Will have to wait until summmer..........Trish

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

Trish. I'd like to have a picture of the Beagles and Me to put in the book.
I haven't asked about Dale but have been keeping up on the posts and monitoring his condition. He's tough as nails and will get better every day. Was there much ligament and tendon damage?
Tell him to come down and stay with us. He can sleep on our houseboat. Come to think of it, he can sleep in our condo and I'll sleep on the houseboat. Hud would sure like to see Dale. They're just alike in a lot of ways - Hud used to be 13 years old going on 38 - now he's 38 years old going on 13...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

Chipper had a dog that was a beagle/collie border mix. It looked like a solid brown beagle. His name was Butch and he hated cats with a passion. He was always hunting rabbits in the pea patches beside our house in Pennington and killing snakes. One time a snake bit him and his head swelled up big time but didn't kill him. He hated to ride and we like to have never got him down to Pennington from Sylacauga.
Zona

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Checkin in from Camp Glosson 2/14/06

Wasn't the dog's name BUTCH? I remember the dog. Cats weren't afraid of him and, according to ES, the dog would ease around and bite the cats on the necks and killing them. ES said the dog killed snakes too.

note:
No Dogs, Snakes or Cats were actually harmed in the posting of this message