General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Sausage

I remember my dad would go to the pier when the pompano would be running in schools and you could catch one everytime you cast. Only ran in certain times of the year, yes they were costly and very delicous had a sweet taste like crappie.

Re: Re: Re: Oil Sausage

Boy! ya'll making me hongry and I just filled up on giant dry limas(butterbeans) and hambersteak/ gravy, cole slaw and cornbread.
Y'all ever ate any Tilapia? We had some last night and it was about as good as catfish. Chipper buys it by the case, it is indvidually fillet wrapped, and with Tony's cajin mix sprinkled on it, that's some fine eating.
I also swear by Red snapper steak. We ate it in Pensacola back in the 50's. MVB ES

Unc,
Talapia look like a big Bream except they have stripes on their body. They are all over down here. You'll see people fishing in the retention ponds and drainage ditches with a big string of them. Good eating. Restaurants have caught on to the taste and feature them on the menus...Neph

Actually, I'd rather have the butterbeans, cornbread and coleslaw, E.S. My trouble with tilapia is that when I first heard of them, I was fishing one of the powerplant lakes here and noticed a commercial netter with ungutted fish piled HIGH on one end of his boat in the August sun. Fishing guide told me it was tilapia bound for Polunski's fish market.

I did try to eat some one time, but ended up throwing it away --- kept thinking about those ungutted fish and that HOT sun. Oh, well!

Anyway, I do love snapper, and always have, ever since ol' Howard baked a BIG one at Camp Helen with the head and tail on. LOL Had a hard time getting started...and then a hard time STOPPING!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Sausage

Jimmy, It's just like some people won't eat bream because of some thing they saw or heard about. One fellow told me, well if you like bream I won't tell you and spoil your appetite. Catfish are the most scavenger living thing on earth but sho do taste goood!! MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Sausage

True story: I made a couple of wire baskets once and put 'em in a pond right next to the Coosa near Ragland when we lived there. Went back a week later to find a BIG, bloated dead muskrat in one of the baskets, so I just threw it back in the pond because of the stink. TWO weeks later, I happened to think of the basket and went by, pulled it out, and discover two BIG, very FULL yellow catfish in there among the muskrat bones. Wow! Them yeller cats wuz GOOD eatin'!

Har! Har! Har!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Sausage

I know you've heard of cleaning a possum out before killing and eating it. My Daddy wouls put them in a chicken coop, feed them sweet taters for about a week before we cooked up a fat possum. Had to be good cause wasn't nothing left but the "sull".
Poor as we was, we'd probably eat the muskrat and called it Coon. Be glad when me and my brother get back to trot lining again, It's been two years since we did any fishing. I'm still gonna buy some of those tilapia fishes. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Sausage

Unc,
You won't regret it. Good eating. We need some more pictures for the book. I've got the Lake Louise Pics you and I took. We're putting stories that were written by MVBs with as many pictures that we feel will belong. For instance, we'll have a picture of Lake Louise when we were young and have a story or poem to go with the picture. Sheryl (the friend of mine who is helping me) is excited about the book. We've been working hard to have it ready by Spring...Neph

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil Sausage

When I get back to the camp I'll fill you up with pictures. That is, the ones I took, Reunions, Twin Street, etc.
Yeah, I got to try that fish again. We're gonna head out home tomorrow to get the camper ready for Chipper and crew. I might get back on this laptop before I leave, if not I'm counting this post as my checking in for 2/19/06.
Morning Karen, Hope you have a wonderful day, same goes for all you other MVBs. MVB ES

Re: Oil Sausage

Jimmy, As we were going down to Chipper's place Friday, I told E.S. about eating those oil sausage with I thought scrambled eggs and grits. I thought it was at Camp Helen, but wasn't sure. I couldn't remember any other meals but it seemed like the cafteria was wood plank on the bottom and screened on the top. The only two camps I ever went to was Church camp and Camp Helen so I knew it had to be one of the other. I told him I was going to ask you when we got back home and when he checked the forum when we reached Chippers there you had already address it. I went with the band about 1954. Those fish at chips was really good. I put a light coating of Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning and cooked it just a few minutes on each side in a small amount of oil. Chipper cooks his in butter. Either way is very good along with cole slaw and hush puppies. Chipper is trying to loose weight so he only eats fish and a serving of string beans. he has to lose some of his gut before his daughter's wedding in March.
Zona

Re: Re: Oil Sausage

You have it just right, Zona. And maybe we had the oil sausage with scrambled eggs, too. Heck, I get LOTS of stuff mixed up nowadays. But I do love sausage with pancakes, even now, and I think that's where I got the hankering. That's one of the reasons I DO love IHOP --- pancakes and sausage...and bacon, and...throw in a lil' ol' Colorado Omelet for dessert!

Re: Re: Oil Sausage

Had dinner Saturday at Lambert's in Foley Alabama. Home of throwed rolls. They really throw the rolls. If you get a chance, eat there. Great experince.

Re: Re: Re: Oil Sausage

Is that anything like "Cock of the Walk" in Mobile, where they "throw" the cornbread?

Big House, we wasn't far from you, we were in Orange Beach. Yeah we've et there before. A big black Dude was throwing them then. MVB ES