The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Beautiful Day On The Way

...and to make it even more beautiful, a Talladega County South Baseball Tournament starts today and runs thru March 3rd. BBC vs Fayetteville today at 3:30 and then runs across town to play SHS at 6:30 under the lights of course. We (BBC) don't got lights, remember? Send MONEY!! We have raised $13,000.00 plus, but we need about $80,000.00.
Have a wonderful day.

Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

Wish I had some to send...also wish it were baseball weather here...12 degrees when I rolled out of bed a 7 AM..Hope the Tigers do well. Take care and enjoy..

Horace

Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

Ivy,
My senior year we were tied with Talladega for the Talladega county baseball championship. We had just played Talladega on their field in a day game and they beat us for the tie. It started raining before we could have a playoff game with Talladega to determine who was county champions.
The next night, the champions had to go to Anniston to play for the district.We got on the bus and their coach got on our bus and all of our players were begging to go back to Sylacauga and play the game that day.
Coach Mason and the Talladega coach (without calling Sylacauga to see if it was raining or not) decided they would flip-a-coin for the championship. We lost the championship on a flip-of-the-coin. When we got back to Sylacauga it was as dry as a bone - hadn't rained and didn't rain for another week. We probably had one of the best teams Comer ever had and for Talladega to beat us was a 'fluke'. I will always feel that we would have gone 'deep' into the 'state' championship if we hadn't flipped that coin. A true, true story

Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

I have coffee with Coach Mason a lots and he has talked about that and much about that team. He enjoyed his short stay at BBC. I enjoy talking sports with him.

Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

Ivy,
Our team's line-up...
FRANKIE STANO CF
LARRY WYATT SS
CHARLIE CARPENTER 3B-P
LARRY LACKEY OF-P
LATHAN HUDSON 2B
GEORGE CABINESS OF-P
BOBBY HATCHETT 1B
JIM (TUTTS) HOLMES C
BADIE BLACK OF-3B

Our infield was tight. We turned 11 Double-Plays in 14 games. Larry Wyatt and I turned 8 and the rest were either unassisted or 1-4-3 or 1-6-3.

In a game against Talladega, I led off an inning with a single and stole second base. George Cabiness hit a home run.
The very next time up I led off the inning with a single and stole second base. George Cabiness hits another home run.
I told him to give me his Home-Run sign and I would save my breath and stay on first. A true, true story

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

That is the team that he loves to talk about. I see Hatchett and Holmes often. Don't know where the rest are, but some are still around here somewhere.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

I really enjoy reading of your baseball years Lathan. I remember very well how good you were at baseball. I always loved baseball because Paul and you let me play . I played a whole game one time in the cow pasture and the other team didn't know I was a girl. Paul put me out in center field so they wouldn't catch on. I put my hair up in my cap and looked the part. It was fun but we had to look out for those cow patties.........Trish and ED

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

Trish, this is one guy that will never believe that you passed yourself off as a boy while playing baseball with that bunch of guys..Oh, NO!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

peewee i remember i think seeing you and jimmy holmes
playing ball but seems to me they were games at the quarry must have been semi pro ball.i remember badie black and larry wyatt.hatchet and a few of those other guys.i particularly remember a game when in the bottom of ninth 2 outs a high fly ball to short.short
let the ball pop out of his glove and u caught it to end the game.i played with badies brother billy in high school,very strong and consistent ball player.
i played for coach mason for 1 year in the 7 th grade
he was a tough coach but he was very good then i played a few years for coach brooks b4 i got my back hurt and had to quit playing.rambling on can't help it. see ya clark

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

Trish,
You were the best looking Centerfielder in Sylacauga. I remember we were playing a team in that Cowpasture on East Street and their team was all barefoot. I think we were all barefoot and one of our players hit the ball in a briar bed just behind the pitcher's mound. Nobody could get the ball and our player went all around the bases. Paul Etress's sister walked out there and got the ball. She was barefoot also but tough as she was pretty.
I also remember that Comer or whoever owned the pasture dug a big ditch right down the middle of our ball field (cowpasture) so we couldn't play there anymore..A true, true story

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

Tip Top,
I played with Weogufka's Saturday & Sunday teams and we played near the Quarry. We also played at Weogufka High School and at Rockford behind the Jailhouse. I worked in the cotton mill a year before I went to college and that summer we'd play two games on Saturday and two games on Sunday. Couldn't get enough of it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Beautiful Day On The Way

Thanks Old Fogey for the compliment but it took me a little longer to look like a girl. ES and Paul showed me no mercy. They made me as tough as they could. When I was little I thought all girls fought like I did with those two. Lathan was 3 years younger than me and he was and still is like a little brother to me. We all picked on him but we didn't let anybody else. Baseball was such a good sport for us MillVillage kids. One ball and one bat is all we needed. If you could afford a glove that was a plus............Trish