The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HAY!! Jerry

Jerry, My bro came to visit me and we got to talking about old times. He mentioned Fred Hardy from Dairyland and said he was your uncle. I never connected the two of you but Paul said you would come over to Uncle Clint's store with Fred and sit under the shade tree with him. We knew Fred all our lives in Sylacauga. He would always stop at the store, even after Daddy took it over, after work to get a goody powder and a coke, probably to get the mill lint out of his system. I don't know how many bikes he wore out but he always rode one. One incident I will always remember is one Christmas Holiday back when I was I whisky drinking stud ( I thought) He , Uncle Clint, Mr Munkus(sp), Tom Etriss(sp) me, Bob Bowden, and I think Paul all took a ride in Mr Munkus new car, riding and drinking "Rot Gut" wiskey. I always did the driving so they could drink and not get caught for DUI. Bob was sipping the whiskey and Fred said boy let me show you how to drink like a man and proceded to empty a half a fifth of that Rot gut. I had to admire that. He also had a fist ful of $25.00 war bonds that he bought all the whiskey with. I was working construction at the time and making a whoolping 1.50 an hour. I asked Fred what he made at the mill, he said after thirty odd years he had got up to 1.35 an hour. Last I heard of Fred he was in the nursing home in Sylacauga and my neice Sharron Dennis was a nurse there. Sorry about rambling but it brought back some plesent memories to this old cowboy. MVB ES