General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Sunday am

Marilyn, I love Cades Cove. It is such a great experience to see it. We got out and looked at all the graves at the different churches and could tell a little bit of history from that. How there must have been some breaking off from one church to another with surnames being the same in both. To see the deer in the fields was great for me. At that time, we didn't live where we are now (where we see deer in our yard all the time). Brings back sweet memories...thank you.

Re: Re: Re: Sunday am

If you get to Charleston SC, be sure to visit St. Micheal's Episcopal Church. So much history. In the cemetary beside the church are the graves of a couple of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sunday am

That would be one place I wouldn't think to look for the signers... Have you ever come upon a grave that you weren't expecting to find? One year Charlie and I were taking a genealogy vacation and attempting to find gravesites of ancestors. My great grandfather and mother were buried behind a little white church between Rising Sun and Milan, IN. That's all my father could tell me as he was 8 years old when she passed away. He was in his 80's when he was trying to tell us where. We went to every gravesite we came across.... and finally found them! The small oak that was in the picture that my father took was now a mighty oak of 70 years plus. Such a fun thing to do.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sunday am

Sure have!!! Daddy's mother was a Brown and have a reunion at the Hatchett Creek Presb. Church. Most of his ancestors are buried there. Also found an aunt of my mothers buried there.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sunday am

I wish you could see the history that Ed compiled before he knew he had Parkinson Disease and started having these tremors. He has over 50 books of documented facts. Ed majored in history so he had to have every thing documented, not heresay. His ggggg grandfather was in the revolutionary war so he was able to join the Sons of American Revolution. We went on our 40th wedding anniversary to the Carolinas and found grave after grave on the Clevelands. We took pictures of each marker and sure enough when we came back, he could put them where they belonged. I dare say there were not five or six that we couldn't locate in his genelogy. It really was fun. We took black magic markers with us as most of them were so worn down you could hardly read them. I filled in all the indentions and then took pictures. It's like putting a puzzle together......Trish and Ed

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sunday am

My Oner is also a Genealogy nut and we have been on several trips looking up dead folks. I have never seen a person so excited to find dead persons. At the camp, we have a wall full of books cramed full of people living and dead.
Got to watch some mighty good games yesterday, in fact, the best I've seen this year. The Auburn game was a nail bite'er, so was the Vanderbilt game.
Had a bad day Friday so I've been staying in my recliner and resting all weekend. MVB ES