VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wanted

Kicker...Apply U of A immediately.

Re: Wanted

Remember Auburn's kicker missing 5 field goals last year at LSU and losing in overtime? Bama is just trying to outdo Auburn........ Bama will recover from this...... the Tiffin kid can kick, just like his Dad kicked our heart out at Legion Field in 1985.

Purvis

True Bobby, but if Christiansen (SP)can kick it into the end zone from his on 40 why can't he be trusted to kick a 30 yard field goal? I don't get. Bama may recover but will Mike Shula? It thought the coaching lost the game. Darby was great on those 1 yard plunges but what about Johnson....what about McLain....What about Castill? Some times you have to make a change just to get a people to think about what they are, or in this case NOT doing....Roll Tide.

Horace

Re: Re: Wanted

Poor little freshman guy. This must be his worst nightmare. Probably looking for another school as we write. Bless his heart! He is such a yungun' to be put in that position. It was a good game. I adore Shula! Hope he succeeds to the MAX if AL and alum give him a chance. Besides, he is good lookin'. Not that that matters.

Re: Re: Re: Wanted

All you kickers on the forum correct me if I'm wrong but The tiffen kid's ball never hooked an inch, if it had, it would have been good. Van tiffen never hooked a ball the whole time he played. Why can't the kicker adjust his angle like a shooter adjusting a rifle, say one foot to one side or the other. I pitched slow pitch softball for 40 some odd years and made adjustments all the time. Same for bowling, course I didn't have 90 thousand fans hollering either. Any way, Like Sue, I really feel for the kid and his daddy too. MVB ES

I'll have to say that Shula didn't make any points with me yesterday...Wilson and Darby were assigned to do nearly all the the running while there were good hosses in the barn..Wilson made more runs than any other player in the backfield other than Darby..With a game of this importance, maximum points were in order rather than hoping for a field goal to pull it out...Tiffin bears little of the blame as he played about as well as any other offensive team members..with the possible exception of Wilson and D.J. Hall..Place kicking is a lot like putting, when you're off, you're off..16 completions of 20 attempts is a pretty good percentage for Wilson..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wanted

I Agree Fogey, The quarterback showed a little spark every now and then. Darby showed me nothing. MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wanted

E.S. you are right. If they had thrown it 40 times instead of 20 times they would still be undefeated. The more they win the better it will make Auburn look in Nov. when the War Eagles take them down.
Mike

I was impressed with Wilson...I thought he did well with his passing game especially...he can only get better and Shula better follow suit...What was that Georgia Tech guy they hired after Stallings? Just ask him what happens when you don't win at Alabama. Even if you are one of the Bear's boys you still have to perform Big Time...Patience is not a virtue around Tuscaloosa.

Horace

Re: Re: Wanted

Horace, the Georgia Tech guy was Bill Curry. He actually came there after Ray Perkins left to go to Tampa Bay which was before Stallings. He did have a winning record at Bama. 7-5 in 1987, 9-3 in 1988 and 10-2 in 1989. However, he could not beat Auburn and that is what turned the fans against him. He was not actually fired but resigned to go to Kentucky but probably saw the writing on the wall. You are right, if you don't win at Bama you will be gone but don't think they will ever have the runs they had with Bear. Unfortunately that is what the fans will always expect so it will be hard for any coach to stay there long. WAR EAGLE
MVB Mike

Hey that is the name of the game...win, win, win. That is a price coaches pay, know first hand...got the T-shirts to prove it.....Trish & Ed

Thanks Mike, I couldn't remember his name to save my life....I read that the basic reason he left town was for the protection of his family. That is sad..if true..I love Bama, always have...want to see them beat Auburn everytime they play...but that kind of conduct is totally unacceptable. Now about his coaching....you and I both know that 7-5 is hardly considered a winning record at either Tuscaloosa or down on the plains. And thanks for getting my history straight....my, my where does the time go. I can't believe it has been that long. Bama's tradition is legendary...Frank Thomas built it Red Drew preserved it...Whitworth..was that his name? did his best to kill it...Bear brought it back..I think Perkins had the makings to keep it alive but he got wiped out by personal problems and his greed. Stallings stuck his finger in the **** and returned it to respectability...the closest thing to the Bear that I fear we'll ever see. Since then it has been a patch work job. I think the house cleaning needs to move into the office of the Athletic Director...I'm not sure he has a grasp of what it takes to be a good coach any more. Sorry about the rant.

Horace