General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pardon me...but---

Mike I recall some pro football games on your side of the tracks in front of Bobby's house.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pardon me...but---

Jimmy, you are right. We had some good games down there. I can remember when there would be a football game in front of Bobby's house and also one in front of our house on Seminole at the same time. Some of that gang would get together several weekends and play even when we were in our mid 30s. Mickey Lawler was trying to put together a weekend at his place in Columbia S.C. a couple of years ago and the last thing he told me was bring a football. Seems like you played in some of those games on Seminole too. Hope you and your family are doing well.
MVB Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pardon me...but---

Ivy, I had forgotten the team Harold played for in the pros. Thought he had actually played for a couple of teams. May have to miss the Comer/Winterboro game this week. Looks like I may have to go to Valdosta, Ga Friday and will probably not be home in time. You have been doing a good job keeping the scores posted every week. Know everyone appreciates that.
MVB Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pardon me...but---

Mike, I used to make balls out of a sock myself, and one out of scraps of cloth like an old shirt. I'd cut it into strips and wrap it up and cover it with black tape. I also made footballs out of the whole sock, it lasted a little longer than the base ball if you didn't punt it. Back then we had to make do with what we had, one time I actually made a football intertube out of a hog bladder, no kidding. It lasted till the skin dried out and busted. The McCain twins had the only football in the mill village during the war. It cost a wholping 12.50 which was a fortune back then but their Daddy must have thought it was worth it. If I got a nickle, I thought I was rich. Appreciate your putting the MVB with your name. We're the only two so far. Maybe more will join in. MVB ES