General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

I remember standing in long, hot, line to buy books at Dixie Drugs - before they were bought or supplied to us. That was first year at Sylacauga in seventh grade. Good oportunity to meet people before school started. Did Comer buy books there too?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

B.B. Comer was 'Not as challenging', so we didn't use books...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

"Cubby, the Elleyphump"

Har! Har! Har!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

Just as I suspected so that's why I went to Comer for the five years after and graduated from there. Took all my harder classes before senior year so I could play. AP and Algebra II, Trig., Gemetry - didn't even go there. Would do it the same way all over again. I still have a better education than what most students in public school exit with now and for probably the last 20 years at least. So do you and everyone else on this forum. Bet we had a better time too.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

The old Victorian building across from Dixie Drug was the old Sylacauga Secondary Agricultural School..After the new high school was built it was turned into a boarding house, mostly occupied by teachers..In the forties, before the USO building was constructed, it was still used as a boarding house and a couple of students at SHS lived there after their parents moved elsewhere in order to graduate from the high school they were attending..One of these was Jerry Bryan, the preacher's son..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

Thanks, Sir. I'm just SO happy to know I wasn't wrong about that. Do you remember the color of the building?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

Jimmy, I remember it as a two story wooden hotel across from Dixie. I thinmk it burned, anybody know?
Across the street from the Sylacauga Theatre I worked at Domestic Loans as a "Outside adjuster" for $250.00 a month and a $60 car allowance. I Had to run down the deadbeats and others that couldn't or wouldn't pay their payments. Man! I was getting rich!! I wore out a 55 ford doing this. I sure didn't know ole Jerry was an artist. That was some good drawing. Oner can't draw a lick but can paint anything. She did sketch a picture of our grand daughter Heather, in charcoal and it looked fairly good to me.
As you all know, I'm an old weastern movie nut and also an old car nut. I say that to say this, can anyone name the make and model of the cars at the White Midget, Dairy Queen, and Old Hickery? Cubby named the studerbaker at the Martin Theatre and I think know some of the others but I'd like to have expert Info on them.MVB ES

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

Jim:

I can't remember the color of the old building for sure, but for some reason I think it was a dark yellow or brown. Could have been some other dark color..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

I was thinking it was an old rusty-red or burgundy color. Guess that's how I had it mixed up with the Saxon-Knight Hotel.

Thanks, Fogey.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

Here's a photo I found of the State Secondary Agriculture School, built in about 1895, that could have been located across from Dixie Drug. It most likely occupied the space where the later Recreation Center's concrete slab basketball court was. It was formerly called the Fourth District Agriculture School in the 20's & later became the old Sylacauga High School. This building was eventually converted into a bording house & later a 42-room hotel.

(Source of info: "A History of Sylacauga," Author: Phillip Mizzell, SHS Class of '66.)

This book is at the Isabell Anderson Comer Museum.

I'm still trying to find a photo of the old Saxon-Knight Hotel that was next to the Martin Theatre.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

I know a lady that might have a photo(painting) of the Saxon-Knight Hotel. Gayle Simpson Saxon, from Childersburg; bless her heart. If you want to talk to her about it, email me and I will give you her phone number (or I can call her myself).

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

You're a genius! And pretty smart, too! That's it.

That brings the place right out of the "fuzzies" of my mind. Still don't know what color it was, but, what the heck...

Thanks a million, Jerry!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

The postcard picture of it is on the Sylacagian website under "My Home Town." Pretty good picture, too.

Re: New before & after photos:

Jerry Hardy

I want to send this photo link to some friends of mine, but I dont know what E-mail address to send them.
I am not a computer savy person in many ways, so can you help? I can get to angelfire.com, but what from there?

Thanks, Butch Carden

Re: Re: New before & after photos:

Hi Butch,

I've been visiting the Comer Museum trying to find old photos of interest. Yes, send me what you have & I'll check them out! Just email me with attached photos.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

The cars, as I see them, in the White Midget picture by Ham's Gulf are: 1948 Plymouth, 50-52 Chevrolet,
1952 Dodge.

White Midget: 1954 Ford and 1958 Chevy Convertible.

A lot of cars in the Old Hickory Picture. I notice a 1953 Olds parked out front.

Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

Cubby, I thought the car at the white midget next to Ham's on the right was a Caddy by the V on the trunk. And the one at the Old Hickery in the middle, is it a 56 chevy, or a 54 ford or none of the above. MVB ES

Re: Re: New before & after photos:

Butch, if you're asking what I THINK you're asking, just copy the following link into an email to any of your friends and they can get there using it:

http://bamaboys.bravehost.com/gotophotos2.html

Sorry to butt in...just trying to help!

Re: Re: Re: New before & after photos:

Sorry Butch, I mis-read your post or something! Just as Jimmy stated in his post below, to send a webpage link to someone, just copy the link from your web browser address bar & paste it into your outgoing email.

Re: New before & after photos:

Thanks Jimmy and Jerry. I did that it and worked fine. Preciate your help. I had some folks that i wanted to send the pictures to.

Butch