The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Mignon, Avondale Mills Village, Sylacauga, Al.

Had some old pictures of Mr. Comer throwing out the first pitch at the opening of the Boys Club baseball game.
Pictures of the Comer Baseball team when Mr. Creel was the coach.
My dad was on the team so this had to be around 1930.
Thought you might know who this was doing the posting.
I have never heard of him. Clay Beck

Sorry, I don't recall ever hearing the name before Jimmy.

Maybe someone might drop by here with some info.

Take care,
Chuck

Beats the heck out of me.

HE

Try Bobby G at radio station WYEA in Sylacauga..Fifties at five.
He may be a good source to identify your stranger.

Bobbyg@Wyea.net

Chuck

Hello all. Really enjoyed reading about home. We lived on Ashby Ave behind the school. My brother was Levon "Bama" Carden. All the best to all.

Thanks for dropping in Mr Carden. You are very welcome here and we appreciate your input. I don't recall you or your brother from my time in Sylacauga. I left town in '64 and have not lived there permanently since. Tell us a bit more about your family. I'm sure some of the folks who stop by here will remember you and things to refresh my memory.

Take care,
Chuck Jones

Thank you Mr. Chuck. It seems that you are the middle kid. My brother and I are 17 years apart. He graduated in 1953 and I did in 1970. We both joined the Air Force after graduating. My wife and I have lived in Sylacauga on and off ever since. We left the last time in 2001 working as a Elvis impersonator. Believe it or not, we live in Memphis, less than a block from Sun Records. Just like Elvis I out grew the jump suit. I'm too old and lazy to gyrate anything. Take care.

George..Gary, what should I call you?

I knew your brother.. I graduated in 54.

Horace Easterling,on this site is your cousin!

I would be interested in buying an old Elvis-type jumpsuit..I'm only near 82 years old..I'd like to try my hand at the Elvis thing.

You're the type person this site may need. Expand your adventures!!

Hello Don. I go by George now. I was Gary growing up because my dad was George. I have spoke with Horace but it's been a long time. Nice to hear you've still got a desire to do the old shaky leg. Too much alcohol and a bet that I could still do the Elvis thing... busted my butt right on stage. Never missed a note though.

Good to hear from Levon's little brother. We did meet when came to a reunion and did your act. Enjoyed it very much.

Horace

George... Gary...
There are few things we have in common. I retired from the USAF in '90. Elvis and I share the same birthday, but he used his up, mine is still working as of now. Perhaps I saw you a few years ago at a Twin Street reunion at the Rec center in Sylacauga? I've lived in Panama City since '87 and still own property and visit Sylacauga every few weeks. I've only been to Memphis once in the past 20 years. I drove there a few years ago to buy a car. Only there long enough to pick up the car, eat some barbeque and hit the road back to Sylacauga then to Panama City.

Yes sir Mr. Chuck. I was at the rec center. That was my first gig. My wife is also a vet. We live super close to the VA hospital which is great since we're retired. Memphis is no paradise, but can't stand the thought of moving. I've set my goal this year to ride a jet ski. Seems I'm too heavy for parachuting. You would think the heavier one is the faster they would fall or bounce higher. Funny, we purchased a van in Florida on the internet. Got it in three days. Be well.

George,

I have pix and maybe video too of that "first gig". Not so much your performance, but mostly folks that attended. I'll try to dig them out.
Yes, I retired at Tyndall and stayed here, about 4 miles from the base. Luckily, I've not needed the VA, so that's a good thing.

Click on the link at the top of the page "VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:" It's a few pages that I maintain. Looks like I need to do some maintenance too. I'll get to that here shortly. I'm looking forward to more free time soon.

Take care,
Chuck