The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Just Tip-toeing Down Memory Lane

Maybe...it's possible

Richard Riggins did live there with his mother, sisters(Jean, Carolyn and Wanda) and grandparents. The primary tenants in that house though were his grandparents Mr. and Mrs. Zell Manning. Mrs. Ora Manning was my great aunt. She was a sister to my grandmother and to Mr. Arnold Taylor the father of Sonny and Douglas Taylor. Thomas Taylor also lived there with his father Fred Taylor. Thomas was a former member of the 4 MUGs with Billy Todd, Carlton Lambert and I think Lloyd Crowe. It was always a house full.

Horace

By the way Terry Wood died in the crash of that airplane which went down, I think in a field somewhere along the Talladega Highway.

Horace

Horace,you're right. The first news story I reported for radio was that crash.

It happened in a pasture on Hightower Farm, located on the Talladega highway just north of Tallassehatchie creek on the right side of the highway in a grove of trees where the plane was kept.

I believe Woods died in the hospital a short time after the crash.
There was one passenger in the plane at the time of the crash..I think it was Levi Smith..he lived.

Air plane passenger should have read "Levis Smith".

Back to Goldberg's...Sidney was the son of Mr Hyman Goldberg owner of the Sylacauga Cash Store. I think Sidney was in the military during WWII. He began working in the store as soon as he returned. While he was away I think Mr. Scott McNeil was the only emlpoyee of Mr and Mrs Goldberg. Mr McNeil's wife was a longtime nursing supervisor at Drumond Frasier Hospital. By the way, where did that name come from?
Horace

Don Stephens
1. Name a person who flew a little plane with no doors over Sylacauga and he was a State Trooper.

2. Who was Sidney,Leonard,Dave....in the 1950's and later in Sylacauga?

3. A cafe that was very popular during World War II and years later located at the forks of the goodwater and Rockford highways was know by what name?

4. If you ever rode a BBC school bus, who was your most memorable driver?

5. What is Tan Yard Hill?

6. What were some the "nick-names" of Mignon folks that you remember?

7. Do you know of a Sylacauga Pastor that had a Holiday name?

8. How did Walco get it's name?
Does anyone know if Allene Wood is still alive? Is there anyone related to her on the Sylacauga Connection? Just wondering...

I last saw Mrs. Woods about 1970. She was attending funeral services for her mother-in-law in Mellow Valley,Clay County.

Have not heard of her since.