Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AN EMAIL TO MY OLDEST SON

A BOOK THAT CHANGED MY LIFE!!!???
Don Stephens

3:58 PM (1 hour ago)

to Major
I just feel like sharing this with you. You are the only one beside Rita that might appreciate this story.

For the first several years of my school life, I was shy..I mean really shy. When they said get in line for a class picture, I hurried to get in the back row. When they said who wants to be first, I got at the end of the line.
I had on a home-made shirt with the collar turned side-ways,a home-made hair cut that left my blonde hair gaped.

In the 5th grade..about 1947, Mrs. Burkhalter took the class to the elementary school library. We were instructed to find a little book and read it. That's all she said and then left the room.

Later, back in class a day or so later, she asked us to stand up in class and give a report on what we had read.

I had never done anything like this before. I said,timidly, my book was Turky Trott Meets a Black Santa.
The class giggles. As I started telling the story in Negro dialect as the book was written...kids started laughing out loud!
I continued until the story was completed. It was a hit...I was a hit.

The teacher later asked me to rewind the Turky Trott story before the entire school in an assembly program..300 to 400 students and an old fuddy duddy faulty. Again, they laughed and screamed in delight.

Never again,in school or until this day at age 82, have I ever been in the back row again.

I got to thinking about this little book a few days ago. Never have I seen it or heard of it after that day in the library..I never had any notes on what I had read.

I found the book on line and it came today!! It is in great condition and I read it again for the first time in 71 years.

It would be my pleasure,at my passing, that this little book goes to you. Take it for what it's worth!
It has been the kick-starter for my entire being.

Love

Dad

Re: AN EMAIL TO MY OLDEST SON

Correction: FACULTY