The Sylacauga Connection

General Chat (Mature Audiences)

VISIT OUR WEBSITE AT:   http://sylacaugan.com

The Sylacauga Connection
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
C'burg bridge

Childersburg bridge. Does that mean that the old trussed bridge is finally coming down?

Horace

Re: C'burg bridge

Sorry Cuz, guess I missed the first part of that discussion? Must have been on another channel.

Sorry bout that. Very poorly written. Pretty hard to figure out what "THAT" means with no context. I was referring to an article on the DH page 1 about building a new bridge and although they didn't mention the Coosa River I can't figure out where else on 280 that they would build a bridge in Childersburg. Since they already have a "new" span along side the old trussed bridge that has been running across the river as long as I can remember. I can only assume that they are going to or already have removed it and will replace it with another something that does not resemble a bridge excepting the fact that there is a river passing below it. Sentimentality is a terrible thing (sometimes). Thanks for noticing, apparently nobody else did. Could it be that it is just you and me?

Horace

That's the railroad overpass they are talking about. It's on the top of the hill just before the old "That curb market" on the left. It's just past the intersection where you turn right to Childersburg and left to Fayetteville. I didn't know about it until I read your post. Then I asked Mr Google, he knows quite a lot, but must be taken with a grain of salt. Yes, I think it's just us chickens, cuz.

Wow, I know that overpass and it seems to me that they are making a mess of 280 unnecessarily. Maybe my mental visual is not as sharp as it used to be. I wish ol' Don Stephens would weigh in on this he knows much more than Mr. Google, or is it the other one, Barney.

Horace

What I know...or, what I think I know!

ALDOT is building a new bridge on 280 over the railroad that runs beside the Fayetteille highway and along beside downtown Childersburg.

Fayeteville road at the intersection of 280 is closed for a short distance while the road is being raised to meet the new level on the bridge and 280. It does not do any permanent damage to either road.

A new high rise bridge over the river was built years ago..then the old bridge was removed and replaced with a "non-rise" bridge. No steel trussed bridge has existed 20 or 30 years.

Just let Mr. Google challenge that!

I forget to mention....

IF YOU TWO GUYS MOVED BACK TO TALLADEGA COUNTY....YOU'D KNOW ALL THIS IMPORTANT STUFF! THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE MISSING.

He's alive after all. I was looking for my mourning coat. I'm having trouble picturing that. Does tis bridge eliminate the traffic light there. And is this where the DeSoto Trace monument is standing or has that been toppled in the name of PC. I seem to remember reading in a history book somewhere that ol' Hernando died from a fever probably a mosquito bite down at Camp Brownie and his guys buried him in an unmarked grave so the native americans (Ply C Speaking) would not know that their leader had been translated. they might have taken him over to the Shelby side thinking the Coosa was actually the Jordan and they didn't want him to have to cross it alone.

Horace

Let me try to picture what's happening.

The new bridge only replaces the the bridge that is now over the railroad.
Traffic light will still be in the same place it is now.
Driving from Sylacauga to Childersburg...the bridge is after you go through the light.

Ole Desoto monument did set on the left side of the highway as you approach the Childersburg traffic light driving from Sylacauga...before getting to the bridge.
That big chunk of marble was recently moved to a park downtown.

Can't say where Desoto is buried, however, he is still much alive in Childersburg. They think he founded the oldest city in America and that would be Childersburg.

This information came from a mayo jar that was kept under Funk & Wagnall's front porch for several years!!

FYI..the steel trussed railroad bridge still stand across the Coosa River

Also, a lot of photographs from the 40's are displayed in the city library, including the powder plant.

Don't know 'bout my cuz, but at this point in time, my return plans consist of a plot in Evergreen. Most likely, I'll not be aware of that move. But, thanks to you sir, for the cordial invitation. Right now, I'm just trying to get enough debris cleared and repairs made in order to make a trip up there for a few days.

I take it all questions were answered. Is that a yes or no?

As far as I can tell, it is.

Maybe Ole Horace could answer. Or,maybe I get my mourning coat on!
What say yea?

Testing,testing...is this thing turned on?

Can you hear me now? Hello, am I coming in clear now?

This is ole DLS signing off..OVER AND OUT!

Whoa there boy, I hear you loud and clear...10-4 over and out. Got my ears back on.

HE

Welcome to the Order of the Thread Killers cuz. I'm the founding member and Potentate. It's a gift, be proud!

King Chuck

how's the cleanup going? glad you took a minute to say hello

cuz

Thanks for asking,

Debris removal from inside is nearly complete until demolition starts when contractors are finally selected.

Outside trees, rootballs, fences, neighborhood detritus, is gone until workshop, storage sheds and greenhouse demolition begins. We are putting that on hold until we get inside home near completion. We are using outside buildings and a 40' conex as temp storage right now.

I am waiting on Terminix to show up for a scheduled inspection this morning. Last Friday we had termites swarming in our damaged living room. Couldn't get anyone to respond 'til today, maybe!

We are taking a part day off this afternoon/evening to drive out to Longhorns on the beach. We celebrate our 51st wedding anniversary today.

We are strong, but this is a REAL test. Gotta' get this right 'cause there's not enough moxie left in me for another attempt.

We are OK and can attest to all that devastation shown on the news a couple of months ago was true and still remains, for the most part.

Chuck, Jenny, and the Jones Clan

Really good to hear. Take that break and catch your breath. Keep up the good fight.

cuz