FIAT Motor Club (GB) Forum

General Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The last unrestored 125 in use in the UK?

This 1970 125 is still being used by it's elderly (& very tight) owner. Is this a miracle? Could this be the only one in the UK? I don't think I've seen a non-FSO 125 in 30 years apart from this one...

Does anyone know how many of these survive in the UK?

Re: The last unrestored 125 in use in the UK?

...and if those pic links don't work, try looking here

http://www.practicalclassics.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6890

The car looks uncannily like one that a guy in Caerleon refused to sell to Pete Sawyer some years back.

There are several 125s around, but this may well be the last unrestored one (Neil's was also unrestored until he recently did some work on it! ).

Here's one of the pics to save everyone trying to find them.

Fantastic story and great to see a classic in daily use - Especially one so rare.

Sadly, it doesn't look like it's long for this world. That front valance looks like it's on it's way out, as do the front wing bottoms.

URH was a Hull issue registration plate, so that car was probably sold new by A B Motor Co on Anlaby Rd. Sadly, they lost the franchise in the late 80s/early 90s, despite representing the brand for many years, and subsequently ceased trading. My father bought 4 FIATs from them between 77 and 81

yes looking at the advancing tin worm, mine was starting to be eaten, so needed working on to save, i guess mine would have been in this state had i not set to work on it, Strange .... seem to be more fiat 125s about up to cir-1970 built cars, later cars seem to be less common, what do you guys feel?:

The car is in Hull - and I'm tempted to stick a card under the window with my number on in case it's run of luck is about to end. I'd put it in dry storage & restore it when I can. It is quite rough, but any car (especially a Fiat!) that survives this length of time deserves a resto.

That's what I thought when I rescued mine. It looked pretty much like this and the engine didn't work but by swapping a few days (hard) labour for a car restorer for a self prep respray I got it looking reasonable.

Worth the effort too, any number of people have told me how nice it is to see one, how their dad used to own one etc.

I also take no small pleasure in out-dragging Barried up Saxos at traffic lights and duffing up Triumph Stags on the race track.

It's actually quite a nice car to drive too, ride and brakes are up to modern standards and there's plenty of room inside. Vastly under-rated cars.

i had a lot of help with mine, it was taken back to a shell and rebuilt, "with the fun and games along the way..." and the best bit...getting to drive a 125! (not very fast!) but none the less driving one!....
worth every penny,(lots of pennys!)

You need to drive it fast Neil, it's a real eye-opener!
Simon's eyes were standing out on stalks after he'd had a go of mine at Combe.

drive it fast!ohno! it seems to have a lot of go in it! after i had the cooling fan replaced with a kenlow jobbee, and up an rated the petrol pump, (fitted an electric one)i love pottering about in it brings out the ear-to-ear smile!

I used a Fiat 132 fan in mine. Bolts straight onto the mounts that the radiator has for the original shroud.

Haven't done anything with the pump on mine apart from fitting a new one because when I got it the original was leaking fuel into the sump (!!!). Doesn't need a leccy one as far as I can see, mine fills up a pair of Dellortos no problem. At £9 instead of £50 plus for a Facet it was a real no-brainer.

This video shows how they should be driven-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OQtkK8vP8j8

fitted a SU petrol pump, mine is also fitted (from new) with electronic ignition, which i will up date as my next project on the car,

I can vouch for Moundy's 125 at Castle Coombe having been a passenger at 2008 Action Day event. She certainly has a nice spread of power through the rev range on the twin 40's , and she also sits down well through the bends too;

Found a film out the archives on you tube, original 125 at Fiats PROVA test track in Italy, no sound unfortunately, but nice;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xIU9ssKul8k

Whilst on the subject of the 125, does anyone remember the magazine "On Four Wheels" in the 1970's by Orbis Publishing. It was one of these that you collected each week and put into binders.It was actually very imformative both on the history of marques (in alphabetical order) as well as having tech. info for how things work, and servicing. Apparently, bit of a cult thing to collect now. I'll always remember the one issue which had a Fiat 125 Special in dutch blue on the cover, same as my fathers. I don't suppose anyone has a pic of it do they, that they could post here? Been looking on net.- but to no avail.....

GOTCHYA!........

Re: Re: The last unrestored 125 in use in the UK?

good to know there's still so much 125 interest

Gawd, they uglified those Specials didn't they? Grille and lights look like a real lash up compared to the "proper" early "normales" like Neils and mine. And as for those "add on" indicators... Ugh.

i like the look of the late type 125 never sure on mine some times!.aslo... the late type seemd to rust faster!

I know it's got a Fiat badge on it, but that doesn't half look like a Vauxhall Ventora to me!!

Re: Re: The last unrestored 125 in use in the UK?

A Vauxhall Ventora ! Blimey John I worry about you sometimes...!!!!! (Would you like a lend of me glasses...?)
Jo

it does look like a fe ventora ,love to own a fd ventora great looking car,may be one day il have one parked next to my 130 coupe

@ Jo!

Already got my own glasses, probably should have gone to Specsavers though..............

It's the square headlights surrounded by a chrome grille that make the similarity.

Which came first, the 125 or the Ventora, the chicken or the egg (I know the answer to the last part by the way)

Does anyone know what happened to this?

I see looking at the dvla it hasnt been taxed since Jan 2012

thanks

ben

In that video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xIU9ssKul8k (still up) can't believe they missed out 124 Coupe, and Punto 1, 2, 2A, completely! and Uno almost. A v odd selection in fact.

fostertom
In that video http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xIU9ssKul8k (still up) can't believe they missed out 124 Coupe, and Punto 1, 2, 2A, completely! and Uno almost. A v odd selection in fact.

What are you talking about Tom?

Membership Number: Now I have that somewhere

Fiat Motor Club (GB) Forum

Home  About  History  Cars  Events  Search  Updates  Gallery  Join  Contact  Links  Forum

Site constantly under construction!

If you have questions or comments about this website, please e-mail  fmcw@fiatmotorclubgb.com

Web DesignClick here to visit www.thotos.comBy Thotos